• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Running Waste Engine oil in the winter

oldshep

Got an LDT-465-1d that i would like to run waste motor oil in. how does this stuff run in the winter. thank for the help

Will

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's not going to start when the temps drop. I don't know how cold it gets there but try adding small amounts with diesel. untill you are comfortable with the way it runs. I had to use starting fluid at about 45 deg. And i have never tried strait motor oil. If your going to burn a complete tank at one time you could add quite a alot to the tank as long as you didn't shut it off. And then mix in alot of diesel before you shut it down. Wih fuel prices going this high, i have to burn more WMO or not drive the truck.

Blythewoodjoe

Hold on a second, are you guys saying you actually do run some used motor oil in your multifuels? I was just wondering yesterday if there was a easy way to use old motor oil in a vehicle to get rid of the stuff. I am sure it would have to be very clean right? Please share you experiences.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes joe. we do. I've been doing it purly as a money savings. Waste motor is usally free. And burns quite well. Diesel is about $3.05 a gallon here. Your right you should filter it as much as possable. If you look in this alt fuel forum you'll see alot of conversations about it. And how some guys filter it.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yeah, Stretch has a good post on useing a centerfuge to run the WMO through. On the trip back from Pa to get his wrecker, we used 90% WMO and 10% diesel.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
ken said:
Yes joe. we do. I've been doing it purly as a money savings. Waste motor is usally free. And burns quite well. Diesel is about $3.05 a gallon here. Your right you should filter it as much as possable. If you look in this alt fuel forum you'll see alot of conversations about it. And how some guys filter it.
Ken, did you ever send in a sample of the filtered WMO for analysis, it contains a lot of undesirable, potentially harmful elements, to the engine and the environment unfiltered?

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No i haven't sent any samples in. I guess i put it on the back burner and forgot. I'm planning in sending oil before and after running it through the centrafuge. To see just how much it removes. The ships i work on use WMO for fuel. The tech term is heavy fuel oil. Yes i do believe WMO polutes more than diesel. But when you recycle oil it goes to feed large engines. It isn't refed through the refinery stream as some people think. When i worked at a refinery here in houston i asked about WMO. I was told it never happenes. That it's resold as heavy fuel. I figured since somebody's engine will be burning it might as well be mine. And help me afford to feed it.

cbvet

Diesel in the South Bend Indiana area is at $3.45 a gallon today.
Got to find more sources for WMO!
I run it through a fine brass screen, a 100 micron filter & a 10 micron filter. Have run up to a 50/50 mix with diesel or gasoline.
Haven't put a lot of miles on yet, but seems just fine in the Multi.

Will try some combination in the Cummins soon, probably 25 WMO/75 diesel. I've read where the military has run a 50/50 mix in the Cummins, with no reported problems.
Eric
CBVET

loosewrenchcowboy

yeah, somebody fill me in on wmo in a cummins. i'm swapping a 1990 5.9 cummins into my 68 dodge w500 crew cab project truck. and i have about 200 gallons of wmo in 5 gallon jerry cans that i need to dispose of.

Rattlehead

Maybe these older fuel systems are less prone to dirt, but the newer high pressure common rail systems will fail injectors and/or pumps from dirt in the fuel that makes it past a 10 micron filter. Now when you are talking about wear metals from an engine and who knows what else, I would be leary of it. I am also curious to how well that centrifuge cleans it up.

5tonpuller

Can it be cleaned good enough using a filter and to mix it with diesel fuel. To burn in a multi fueled motor? The centerfuge from what I see was $250-$300. Plus the pluming.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think you need to filter it down to at least 5 microns, metal particles are not compatiple with the fuel plunger in the IP.
Matt, take a sample and send it in for analysis, when you see the results you may not want to mix it with your fuel.

wdbtchr

I don't know about pollution issues or heavy metals, but I've been running WMO in my M51A2 for about 4 years now with no problems so far. I filter it twice, once going into my 200 gallon storage tank and then again going into the truck both times through a 10 micron Baldwin filter. I go through the tank incase I unknowingly pickup up some water. I generally run a 50/50 mix with diesel.

I've talked with a lot of different mechics that work for big trucking companies, and they all pump the oil directly to the fuel tanks of the trucks during oil changes. If they're not worried, I'm not going to.

jatonka

Once again, The military says to use 1 gallon WMO ( waste motor oil ) per full tank of fuel in M35A2 trucks. More to suite your needs. In the North East we will never get them started in the winter. I expect to use 4 gallons per tank in the summer and none in the winter. Heck, I have to cut #2 DF with Kerosene 60/40 as it is. There is something to be said for living in Dixie. JT out

beaubeau

Hello Guys, And Gals! I just joined and I love this site I'm A V.N. Vet andI was in Motor Trans.With Engeneers.I drove and Experimentedwith alot of trks.. I mixed Used Motoroil with my 1984 Cat 3406B with no problems Isold it with 1,347,450miles,no problems. I now have 21/2ton and I have run 10 Hyd. oil,90 gear oil, and Used motor oil. No Problems!!! Just keep it CLEAN!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks