• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1968 M35 extracts brand new Jeep and Hummer

tjcouch

On Saturday the Vice President of my Jeep Club frantically called me to the scene on two stuck vehicles which were being driven by two new club members.

One being a 2007 JK 4D Jeep, the other being a 2001 H1.

Both, as you will see, were quite stuck. Neither driver had been off-road before (at least not in these particular vehicles.

The high level of water shorted out the alarm system on the Hummer . . . so the video has that annoying background noise.

But what will you see in the video is me pulling the JK out with a strap, followed by an attempt to winch the Hummer out (it instead was dragging truck into the mud,) followed by me switching around to the back on the Hummer and pulling him out backwards.

The Jeep drove home, the Hummer had to be towed. I am told both the engine and transmission are toast.

The lesson: know how deep the water is before you try walk across it. Unless you are Jesus Christ.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5E1BwI4ab0

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I love it!! I live for the recovery for sure. Kinda feel bad for the H1 dude, that looks expensive. A cool trick when your getting slid by your own winch, use a scotch anchor. If you check the TM section for FM 20-22 it will have that anchor. Thanks for the vid and do you think you can upload it to Steel Soldiers?

kcimb

I can't watch from here but this will be painful. I've had my mercedes up to the doorhandles in mud before and I dragged a Hemi dodge 4x4 back in with me. Took a bobcat to pull me out :D Good times.

H1s have the stock 6.2l hummvee engine, right? Grab one from a Cucv...

YankeeDuece

Re: RE: 1968 M35 extracts brand new Jeep and Hummer

kcimb said:
I can't watch from here but this will be painful. I've had my mercedes up to the doorhandles in mud before and I dragged a Hemi dodge 4x4 back in with me. Took a bobcat to pull me out :D Good times.

H1s have the stock 6.2l hummvee engine, right? Grab one from a Cucv...
I believe after 1997 the civi models got the 6.5l.

H1 Hummer....$105K
Alarm system..$1500
Truck detail ...$500.
Getting a Deuce the pull it out on film....Priceless!

Elwenil

RE: Re: RE: 1968 M35 extracts brand new Jeep and Hummer

A classic case of "A Fool And His Money Are Soon Parted". I love to see this sort of thing especially when there is no logical reason to go through the mud. There was obviously ways around it. I also love recovery jobs but I would have refused to work the job with that amount of people so close and in the path of a broken cable. I've seen too many people hurt for no other reason than they "couldn't see from over there". The only people that should be involved are the operators of both vehicles and one helper/spotter. But that's just me and I probably would have pumped a few rounds in the H1 to shut the alarm off before I ever came near it.

Also, I don't know if the kids were involved but I definitely disagree with taking kids wheeling with obviously inexperienced and unprepared operators. I was on a winter trail ride in about 2' of snow one year and had to deal with a guy, his wife, and three young kids in a stock fullsize GMC Jimmy almost roll down a ravine because he insisted he "could get it". We pleaded with him to let the girl and the kids out while he tried to get back up on the road and to lets us tie him off but he wouldn't stop moving for us to do anything. That incident and many others like it get me rather upset about idiots and their attempts at wheeling.

emr

RE: Re: RE: 1968 M35 extracts brand new Jeep and Hummer

Ouch, I agree they were nubies for sure, but ive run mud i probably would not make it to the other end, sometimes i just need to shoot it , Been there, BUT for the 2 of them in stock vehicles thinking they have super vehicles learned the hard way, I always know the soundness of the terrain around where im going, i always watch it closely, they were doomed to sink, i would have shot that mud hole, silly to say there was a way around it though, they new that . but for 2 of them to crawl thru, was obvious a sign they are clueless for sure, I say crawl thru because i doubt 2 of them were flying thru, from there position the hummer sank and the jeep tried to keep going around to the right, oh well was fun to watch, but the deuce driver tried to pull the hummer first out the way he was headed , and also learned the hard way.. always when possible pull em out the way they went in, I wish that was on the tape, i wanted to see the deuce slide or whatever.And as for the horses butt that would try anything with others in the ride is definitly a loser.ya think they were loaded with people during the mud romp, if they were they were losers too. randy

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ya know, offroading is for people who have more sense than money. Not the other way around. I have no respect for that Hummer owner, who probably paid a fortune for that rig because his third leg is too short to impress ladies in other ways, and relies on REAL offroaders with REAL trucks to pull them out. Much less that alarm system garbage.

First thing I would've done is say: "You want me to pull you out?" (hands the Hummer owner a pair of wire cutters to disable the alarm) "Then turn that alarm off. Then I'll think about it."

Anyone remember the owner of the brand new Toyota full-size pickup at Haspin who buried his truck up to the frame rails in the mud pit, and Gilbert's deuce probably yanked his frame rail out of whack pulling him out? Served that Toyo owner right for taking a new truck offroading. More money than sense, indeed.

Elwenil

maddawg308 said:
Ya know, offroading is for people who have more sense than money. Not the other way around.
That couldn't be more true and is probably the funniest thing I've sen in a while. I'm going to put that in my sig. Maybe with your permission, Mike, I should get that made into a decal to put on the back window of the Ramcharger, lol.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Go for it. Make it into T-shirts if you want. As long as you put -MadDawg308 after my quote, that way when people meet me at shows they can say "Hey, I've seen your quote on a T-shirt/sticker/beer cozy/etc!"

Glad my frustration and anger made you smile, Lanty!

kcimb

AMTAK said:
This is what happens when you leave a hummer in water to long. I got a good deal on parts. The water was up over the engine.
Looks like he drove into metal eating piranha waters. Bad juju.

Was it rebuilt as a hummvee or Hummer? I assume the frame is the same...some minor parts are different I assume.

tjcouch

The funny bit - when I got there people were talking about how annoying the alarm was - I responded, "What alarm?"

(It was an hour drive at 2200 RPM to get there, and I forgot to grab another handful of earplugs before setting out.) LOL

FreightTrain

Banned
You know what I love too about deals like this.The stuck Noob always goes so far out of their way NOT to get dirty when they are pulling chains or hooking chains.Um,if your that worried about you getting dirty then why the hell did you take your truck out in the mud.Hell,when I got my F150 and deuce stuck that one weekend I just walked out into the waste deep water and hooked up

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks