• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1952 M170?

rdsar2k

Hello all
I am a proud new owner of a M170 bought from a friend. New to this forum also. I have a quandry in that this is suppose to be a 1952 model yet they were not built until at least 1953. I'm looking for feedback and opinions whether this could be true. The guy I bought the jeep from didn't provide the plates but the owner before him had them and after he was found he gave them up to the guy I got the jeep from. If it wasn't for the original title with it I would be lost. Please look at the photos and give me your opinion

http://s213.photobucket.com/albums/cc119/rdsar2k/data plates/?action=view&current=dataplates.jpg

I had areply to a post on willysmjeeps.com that was pretty good. Also looking for the upper stretcher racks or some kind of plans so can make. I have access to a good mahine shop for help.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
The M170 was classified standard per Ordnance Committee Minutes 34665, the Ordnance Book of Standards, March 26, 1953.

It'll take me a bit more digging to give you more info. It would help if we had the VIN of the vehicle. If the dashboard data plates are missing, or suspect, there is a second plate behind the passenger's seat on the front of the rear fender inside the Jeep.

Hope this helps,
David

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
I have been doing some digging for my own m170's history...thought you might find this interesting.

here are all the M170 serial numbers I have found along with their respective dates...
10637 4/1954
10691 4/1954
11425 unknown/Mine
11560 6/1954
11584 6/1954
11665 6/1954
11685 6/1954
11869 4/1955
12158 6/1955

jasonjc

BFR I have #10967 no date thought.

rdsar2k check out tmvg.org one of there members has one of the best, if not the best looking M170 around. The letter rack are hard to find most were trashed. Do you have the right seats for it?

rdsar2k

It has everything except the upper litter rack. Two stretchers were included and the canvas top & doors. In responce to the serial # maybe a 1955 it may also be using the M38A1 serial # sequence because the M170's hadn't been started. 1952 M38A1 were in the 11870 range in 1952. The title is original from the Nebraska Military sale and is notorized on both sides. If there is a mistake in the year the Military made it. I don't know how the Army keeps there records as I'm ex Navy and we did every thing perfect!

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Barstow truck had 3 last February. I think they were for sale whole, but maybe you could get parts from them.

rdsar2k

Re: RE: 1952 M170?

DDoyle said:
The M170 was classified standard per Ordnance Committee Minutes 34665, the Ordnance Book of Standards, March 26, 1953.

It'll take me a bit more digging to give you more info. It would help if we had the VIN of the vehicle. If the dashboard data plates are missing, or suspect, there is a second plate behind the passenger's seat on the front of the rear fender inside the Jeep.

Hope this helps,
David
There are pictures of the patent plate, dash plates and the origial title issued by the Military. Is there another way to date it as in dating the engine or transfer case?

http://s213.photobucket.com/albums/cc119/rdsar2k/data plates/?action=view&current=dataplates.jpg

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Re: RE: 1952 M170?

rdsar2k said:
There are pictures of the patent plate, dash plates and the origial title issued by the Military. Is there another way to date it as in dating the engine or transfer case?

Though I am probably more famiiiar with military veihicles than most in American society, I am probably less familiar with photobucket than most in American society.

Hence, when I go to the link, I see the shift pattern, which is not helpful at all.

I can say as an absolute fact that the XM170 was built from a M38, with a strecched wheelbase and an F-head engine installed. This was during the same time that experiments were made that lead to the M38A1.

If someone will post the numbers off of the patent plate (the original registration number would help as well), in a form I can see, I'll try to help this ol' boy out.

Regards,
David

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
RE: Re: RE: 1952 M170?

Thanks doghead! This is certainly a truck built in April 1955, and obviously someone back in the past made a mistake. The registration number would have been 1A83_ _ .

As I mentioned earlier the M170 was not classified as standard until March 26, 1953. As the many owners of XM211 and XM818s on on this site - vehicles produced before the classification has been posted in the Ordnance Book of Standards would have an X prefix. Further, according to the characteristic sheet published by the Ordnance Tank Automotive Command on 5 September 1958, the Surgeon General did not approve the vehicle design until 13 March 1953.

Also, I am not aware of Willys stamping merely the year on a data plate, rather than month year (like 12/07). Just as many M35A2 owners are finding that there trucks have incomplete and inaccurate GI-installed data plates on them (Witness all the 1970s-dated Reo plated trucks on GL - clealy an impossible situation), it looks like the data plate on yours was replaced by soldier A, who did not put/have access to the correct info.

HTH,
David

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial

rather than soldier A, the job assignment got passed from soldier A to soldier B then to soldier C then to soldier D who by this time had no idea of what was going on

rdsar2k

Well thanks to all here! I will attempt to correct the title to a DOD 04/55 M170. I have one more issue as I've been informed that he patent plate is correct vintage and may be incorrectly stamped as the MD-A was replaced by a number in 55. Does my patent plate look correct?
Also are the correct plates for an April 1955 M170 available any where? Hopefully a complete set ready to mount or is that a pipe dream?
Does anyone know where to get a set of upper litter racks or a plan that I may build from or detailed pictures that I may be able to build from? I have access to an extensive maci\hine shop with very creative people that can make just about anything.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor

The litter racks have been reproduced by WeeBee webbing, as well as, IIRC, BJ Smith. BJ lives in Arkansas - I don't remember where, but I believe he can be located via the Arkansas MVPA website.

Best wishes,
David

jasonjc

Your pat. plate looks just like mine. If you find the racks post the info here if you would. I need some for mine also , but it's low on my list of things to do.

gwalker

Rapco parts co sells the data plates they are avialable as a set or individually they wont be stamped at all, you will have to stamp in the year an serial # on them.

rodmayo

1952 m170?

i have tw o m170 jeeps the first is mfr. ser. 10161 with a del date of 3/54
the second with a mfr. ser. 12110 this jeep has no date of del. stamed on data plate .it is quite poss. your date of del. may have never been originally stamed , and somebody stamed 52 in over the years? your serial number indictes write arrond 62 accorcing to prodtion dates. i figure my unstamed jeep(12110) to be a 64 based apon the prodution dates aval. there are m170 proto types but these jeeps were not the mda that we have they would not have these data plates at all. the proto type has a differnt cowl,different windshied, 3-4 inch (flared) flat fenders , diff spare tire body line,external ax, and the cj4 hood and grill.

rodmayo

RE: 1952 m170?

my appologies on production dates,I pulled the m170 prod.dates off some web site that wasn't evan close.I have no date of del. on one off my m170's. does anybody mave a m170 that there date of del. is not stamped ? my other m170 is stamped DEPOT MAINTENANCE MARINE CORPS. just curious to see how many other m170's are stamped U.S.M.C. ? thanks

jimmyparks

Could you provide photo of the door frames for both sides. I have an M170 that I just bought all new canvas for but no door frames. Any help would be appreciated.

jimmyparks

THANKS!!!!! I found a good used left and right side M38A1 in Kentucky for $160 including the two windshield brackets for the top inserts. Bought the 3/8" rod in case there are some fitup issues. Should be about finished with hardware next week and will start the final paint and decal scheme.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks