• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

solid state vibrator replacement

flobble

I was wondering if anyone knows of a simple circuit that would replace the 24 volt vibrator in the GRC family of radios. I tried finding a schematic through a google search and got really discouraged. You'd think something as simple as a transformer driver would be easy to find the plans for, but not so. Thanks.

Paul

Jones

How loud or obvious do you want it to be? There are piezo-electric devices out there for audible alerts and most of the cell phones use a micro-motor with an offset weight on the shaft to create a vibration when the motor runs.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No he means an aftermarket or home-made device that usually plugs into the vibrator socket in the radio. In the radio, the vibrator is not a buzzer, it is an electromechanical polarity-reversing switch that converts DC to AC and applies this AC to a power transformer so that the proper voltages are generated to operate the tubes and other stuff in the set.

What exactly kind of vibrator do you need? I have a pile of them. There should be numbers on it, and a pic. would be good.

flobble

Thanks, Ill get a picture of it tomorow, and the numbers off of it. I was just assuming it might be easier to try and replicate it with maybe a 555 timer circuit than to find originals. Glad to know they are still out there.

flobble

Here's the info off of the vibrator. I tried taking pics, but because it's round and shiny, they didn't turn out. As for a solid state replacement, the components would be too expensive, so if anyone has any stock ones, I would cefinitely be interested in purchasing.

24 volt 152 cps, type M3335C 7 pin vibrator

Thanks,
Paul

JasonS

You could try Antique Electronic Supply www.tubesandmore.com They sell 6 and 12V solid state replacements but may be able to point you in a direction for a 24V. It shouldn't be that difficult or expensive to build; maybe you can reverse engineer one.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I apologize for not having gone through the box of them that I have, but I have not seen this thread in a while. If you find it new fot $7.95 I would suggest getting a spare as well.