• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tax

Rebelpride

I recently won an M35A2 W/W in Forest Park, GA, and when I looked at my invoice there was TAX. Now with the 3 items that I have won in my home state of NC I have not been charged tax, why was I charged tax for Georgia, and would I be charged tax on all out of state purchases.

:jumpin: Woohoo my 100th post :driver:

HeadWizard

You will get charged tax in any state GL sells in, UNLESS you have filed a tax exempt form that specific state. Unless of course a specific state has no sales tax. You can file tax exempt forms in most states. Check the link on the GL site.

Blythewoodjoe

GL will charge sales tax even if they shouldn't. The South Carolina DMV say's they shouldn't on vehicle, but they do. SC law caps it at $300 for vehicle, but they still charge 7% of the sale price. I have also noticed there is no sales tax for anything I have purchased on base in the past (burger king and so forth) but GL collects sales tax. I have contacted the SC department of Revenue and will meet with one of the guys Wednesday about some of there practices. We'll see how that goes.

I do find it odd that the DMV here wont do anything about GL because they are an Arizona based company yet they collect state sales tax on property sold on Federal property :?

Sorry, about your concern, you will probably be taxed in NC too. I have paid sales tax twice on EVERY truck I have ever bought from GL and that's why I am meeting with the Department of Revenue.

ida34

When I present my paperwork showing I have already paid sales tax Michigan does not charge it a second time unless the tax collected was less then the 6% that Michigan charges.

Rebelpride

Its not that I have too much of a problem paying tax but I plan to pay the tax when I register the vehicle and in property tax. And when I bid since I have not been charged tax in the past I just figure the 10% into the total price that I am willing to pay, Then they added tax this time and it made the total more than I really wanted.

Bulldog_mack I know what ya mean about the SF97 I got mine last week and it was dated Nov. 17, 2007.

EO2NMCB

Did they charge by straight sales tax .ie IL is .0625 or close. However the tax at the DMV would only be $25.00 due to the year of a CUCV. Just asking while waiting on an EUC to clear.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've had them refund my taxes on several vehicles that were bought in MD and PA, because PA does not charge out of state residents sales tax on vehicles and MD collects it at the point of registration. You'll have to do some homework on GA and prove to them that they should not be collecting it... They will refund it if you can prove it. I've had about $1K in taxes refunded in the past year or so...

Good news is that they recently removed their head from their rectum and didn't charge me tax on my last truck in MD...

tmbrwolf

I've been charged sales tax also, in Kansas it is collected when a vehicle is registered or when purchased from a licensed dealer which GL is not (at least here) and is collected at the rate depending on the county of residence, I too have paid the sales tax twice and find it a little frustrating, GL should follow the law, rules or regulations depending on the buyers state of residence, it may be easier for them to just collect the tax, but it may be collecting it illegally in some jurisdictions. Next time I may just forward the info to our state Atty General consumer affairs div and see what thay say!

CUCVFAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
GL treats everything as merchandise and charges the tax appropriately. Their "tax expert" even told me I had to pay tax. I got an apology and a courtesy credit after proving it the 3rd time...

Google the title and tax laws in your states. Most states have statutes online. Send GL the URL's. It might have taken me 30 minutes to find what I needed in MD and 20 minutes for PA. I've never paid tax twice on a truck or trailer from them.

tmbrwolf

CUCVFAN, I agree with ya! You probably can get them to refund the money, BUT why don't they follow the law in the first place? If they do business in a state than they should be following the laws! Thats why I get so frustrated. Of course they won't do it unless the are forced to.

CUCVFAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
tmbrwolf said:
CUCVFAN, I agree with ya! You probably can get them to refund the money, BUT why don't they follow the law in the first place? If they do business in a state than they should be following the laws! Thats why I get so frustrated. Of course they won't do it unless the are forced to.
Agreed. It is very frustrating and they should know the laws before they get into business. But, this is GL.... Everytime I argued with them about the tax I asked "Why do I have to do GL's homework for them?" I never got an answer... :roll:

Rebelpride

bulldog_mack13- I know there are a few threads on registering deuces in NC. I looked into registering mine and it was 180?? for a 14K weighted tag or $14 for a transport tag that would allow me to drive it to, from, and in a parade. Still not sure what I am going to do.

Rebelpride

Having no luck searching Georgia tax laws. Does anybody in Georgia know if someone from another state buys a vehicle in GA do they have to pay sales tax.

CUCVFAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A quick look around on the Georgia tax site found this...

http://www.etax.dor.ga.gov/salestax...se_MotorVehicle_Exemption_Certificate_ST8.pdf

That's what GA says you need. Now, you'll have to fight with GL about who has to get the refund from whom... :roll: Technically, I would think you should supply that form to GL and they don't collect tax. But, their "tax expert" might say otherwise... aua

Good luck... Keep us posted.

FrankUSMC

All the trucks I have bought here in NC have been taxed by GL. I am not a dealer, but a collector of green stuff.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks