• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tax

USMilitarySurplus

CUCV, you know that we refund the sales tax if there's been an error. You even stated so yourself on this thread.

If I wasn't clear, I apologize. I sent the links [to the GA tax website mentioned on this thread] to a coworker who handles sales taxes, who was replying to that. We are required to charge sales tax on purchases of motor vehicles in GA unless the customer is exempt. We don't know a customer is exempt unless they complete a tax exemption form(s), which can be found under the Forms tab on our website.

If we have the tax forms on file, then the customer is not charged. We apparently did not have a form on file for RebelPride so he was correctly charged sales tax on his purchase in GA.

We also don't know if a customer is transporting a vehicle to another state. RebelPride, if you complete the ST-8 form we would be able to refund the GA sales tax. Please submit it to customer service along with a copy of your driver’s license or proof of residency. Here's the link again for your convenience.

http://www.etax.dor.ga.gov/salestax...se_MotorVehicle_Exemption_Certificate_ST8.pdf

And again, the sales tax applies whether or not the intention is to transport the property to a location outside the state.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Robyn,
Yes, I know GL refunds the tax if an error is made. But, that's usually only if the buyer jumps through hoops to prove that they should not have been charged it in the first place. I know, I've done it several times.

I was only partially kidding about getting a part of the money not refunded. I know plenty of people who have paid tax twice because they didn't know how to prove it to GL and GL can be so frustrating to deal with, they just gave up. And, this goes back to 2001.

The form on the GL website is not even the ST-8 form Rebelpride (or anyone other hobbyist) needs to fill out??? In that case, none of us could possibly have bought a vehicle in GA without being charged tax. That form is the standard "dealer/resale exempt" form, which is not related to vehicles and statute 48-8-3-44.

Again, I really think GL should be more proactive when it comes to vehicles. When DRMS was selling trucks, they handled the taxes on trucks appropriately (in my experience). I think GL should take the time to understand it better.

Rebelpride

CUCVFAN,
You are right I guess I did lay down. :cry: I now remember the info that you posted at the begining, I may also have gotten my research of VA vehicle tax confused also. Hopefully I have not been to bad of a disgrace to SS.

CUCVFAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow man, don't sweat it. I was only yanking your chain about that... I guess I should have added the :wink:

I just don't like to see anyone give up on it out of frustration, becuase it's a major sore spot with GL for me. Maybe I just need to let it go.... breath... breath... OK. Much better. At least you know what to do to get that money back.

I had a guy at one pickup in MD tell me he wasn't worried about the tax because it was only like $60. I said, yeah but that's your $60! Another guy just figured it wasn't worth it because he didn't plan on titling the trailer he got for use on the road.I don't get it...

Rebelpride

I have filled out the paperwork and typed up a curtious and informative email. So we'll see what happens. The one thing that bothers me about the tax is that you are taxed on the 10% premium, doesnt seem right to me, that would seem like GL's cut and not part of the final price that tax is calculated from.

USMilitarySurplus

Not to beat a dead horse, but our customers have always been free to go to the state and obtain a refund of their sales tax if they qualify for an exemption. We provide proof for our customers (the invoice) that the tax has already been paid. Actually, there are thousands of exemptions nationwide, on more than just vehicular items.

CUCVFAN, you're a guy who's good with your money, I can tell. I'm the same way. They say it's people like us who become millionaires....

CUCVFAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
USMilitarySurplus said:
CUCVFAN, you're a guy who's good with your money, I can tell. I'm the same way. They say it's people like us who become millionaires....
Robyn,
Any idea when that might occur??? And who are these people who say this? I need to meet them and learn their secrets! :wink:

jasonjc

I just got charged sale tax for a truck in OK. They charged it for one but not the other. When I called about it they gave me the "we charge tax on evey thing" line , and that I could send an email to dispute it.After demanding to speak to a sepvisor repatedly they put me on hold and then came back and said it was a mistake and would fix it.
Oklahoma does not charge sale tax on vehicle at the place of sale but at the tag office. Out of sate buy pay nothing in OK but pay in there home state. Plus if I did live in OK, the tax is $20 for the frist $1,500 and like 3.5% for the rest. GL was tring to chage me 8.375%. So had I paid this tax to them and the state does not collect it from them who gets it????? I gues it's just an extar bonus for GL?????

I gues my point is that you need to know the law in your state and the state you are buying in. Or just bend over.

Rebelpride

On a good note I won a M1008 in VA yesterday and looked this morning and no tax. Good job GL. Btw this will probly be my last MV purchase b/c my folks are going to KILL me, and I have purchased the trucks that I want.

CUCVFAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
jasonjc said:
...When I called about it they gave me the "we charge tax on evey thing" line , and that I could send an email to dispute it.After demanding to speak to a sepvisor repatedly they put me on hold and then came back and said it was a mistake and would fix it....
Exactly why their customer service is so terrible. They have this standard answer at the front lines and you need to argue with them or quote state statutes to get to the point where they say "We made a mistake. Sorry." A simple training session for customer service people: If it's vehicle related tax question, IMMEDIATELY pass it to the "tax expert". At least we feel like we're getting somewhere (although, I had a few battles with the expert, too...)

jasonjc said:
...So had I paid this tax to them and the state does not collect it from them who gets it????? I gues it's just an extar bonus for GL?????
Actually, as much as we all want to think this happens, GL ends up turning it over to the state as sales tax revenue from "general merchandise". They aren't keeping it.

In states like MD where the tax on vehicles goes to the "transportation fund", not the general "sales tax fund", the tax ends up going to the general fund and the state ends up with some surplus. The transportation fund is for maintaining roads. This is why they collect the tax at the point of registration. If you are buying a vehicle to drive on the roads, they get the tax when you register it to help maintain those roads.

I could have tried to go through the procedure, as Robyn pointed out earlier, of getting a sales tax refund from my state by showing them my invoice, but my point to GL was that I should not have to do anything of the sort. They messed up, not me.

They also told me I could do this on the vehicles I bought in PA. Can you imagine how much fun a MD resident would have getting a tax refund from anther state on a vehicle that state would have never charged me tax on? Maybe it wouldn't be bad, but it wasn't my problem to fix.

Rebelpride,
Glad to hear they got it right on this auction. My last vehicle purchase in MD was tax exempt too, so they are getting better.

tmbrwolf

I will beat a dead horse!!! I just received an invoice for a trailer in Colorado I purchased, and yes it has sales tax, Colorado does NOT charge sales tax to non residents who will be removing the item from the state and registering it out of state within 30 days of purchase, I guess an e-mail is in order! It only took DLA 82 days to investigate for the EUC and send it back to GL.

Rebelpride

Hey CUCV,
GL sent me several emails informing me that they would refund the sales tax on the GA deuce as a ONE TIME courtesy
and that they must collect sales tax on all purchases. Which a one time refund will suit me fine as I am done buying trucks.

CUCVFAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad to hear it. I guess since GA has a form for out-of-state residents to fill out, they are being more difficult. When you are ready to buy your next one, be sure to fill that form out and turn it in prior to bidding.

No one is ever really "done" buying trucks, are they??? :cookoo:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks