• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M881 help

dmetalmiki

Freind has an M881 which has failed the uk MOT (3 times!!) seems the wheels have too much free play in the bearings. over 1/4" top bottom ((wheel tyre)) hand check.

The bearings were replaced. SAME problem!! looking at the tm shows NO adjustment possible just torqued up to 100 f.p. and the exploded views dont seem to explain (show) how IN HECK does the adjustment or setup eliminate the (any) free play or conversly prevent overtightning of the bearings. ANY help / knowledge pre experience with this problem (OR FIX) greatly appreciated.

CCATLETT1984

If the bearings are torqued to spec and you have too much free play, I'd take a look at the spindle to be sure that there are no burs that the bearing surface may catch on, do the same to the inside of the hub.

That inner nut for the bearings should be at nowhere near 100ft/lbs. you wil kill a bearing quick and bend the races with it that tight.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
881 has the unit bearings on the front. Are we talking front or rear? If front, you need to start checking the balljoints in the D44.

dmetalmiki

bearings m881

ITEM in question FRONT wheel bearings.there is NO play in the ball joints.((ALL other items on this truck passed the mot)) FAIL = this problem with the front bearing "tightness"/un allowable free play.<<PRE>>He told me the manual sez tighten to 100 fp! he (also) states that there is a spacer BETWEEN the bearings to correctly space/set bearing play.(adjustment requirment) <loading> I checked the pages on s.s. docs. and think the preload setting is when the INNER bearing housing STOPS against a 1/16" lip on the spindle. (do I interpret that correctly? if so could the overtitghtning have ""squished"" that shoulder (it's only 62 thou!) so that the inner goes in too FAR allowing unaceptable/unajstable free play in the bearings/wheel??..the mystry deepens...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks