• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Waste Oil Storage

dm22630

I am amazed at how EASY it is to get FREE used motor oil!! :mrgreen:

I dont really want a bunch of 55 gallon drums stacking up at my house, so what is the best kind of tank for bulk storage or waste oil? Are the 275 gallon HHO tanks the best to use? Or would it be better to get a 1000+ gallon buried tank?

275 Gallon HHO tanks are free/cheap around here.....but I think the neighbors may know something is up if they start piling up.

Thanks!

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use HHO tanks, mounted about 10 feet up, on a industrial pallet rack. Pump the oil in (in my case filtered) and then when I need it, open the valve on the bottom.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would avoid the underground tank idea. Used 275 gal HHO tanks are cheap and easy.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Open all the holes available and use a garden hose to rinse out any sludge. If your careful you can do it with less than 5 gals of water. Let it dry for several days in the sun. Then you have one 5 gal bucket of junk to get rid of, it will evaporate eventually, down to just the sludge or find a place to dispose of it.(throw it on a bonfire)

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I laid my 275 gal "tote" on it's side and used a pressure washer to clean out the gunk inside.
I have a portable 12 volt pump with filter on it. I use it to pump WVO and WMO and it works like a charm. Got it from Northern Hydrolics.
When you pump out of a container make sure to stop about 5 inches from the bottom to keep from getting all the sediment and water out. I have a strainer on my intake hose to keep from sucking large objects in that would hurt the pump.
Keep in mind that a full tote weighs around 2400 pounds...make sure that if you elevate it the stand can handle the weight.
Also keep them out of the sun....the plastic will become brittle after a while.

DanMartin

I've heard of people using decommissioned (ie: free) home heating oil tanks (the free-standing kind) for WVO/WMO storage too. Just make sure you can contain any spills if they leak...

area52

I would use a steel tank in decent shape with no rust issues. Elevate it and put it on the south side to let the sun heat it as much as possible that way you can drain any water/sludge that settles out.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had to pressure wash out the tanks I use also, they had a lot of sludge in them. Came out nice and clean inside.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks