• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Coolant system filter

I guess that this question is directed more toward Cranetruck.
In conversing with Wyattearp he mentioned that you (Cranetruck) had a coolant filter installed that did not restrict the flow of coolant and was good for cleansing scale/sediments that could limit the flow of coolant through the system.
It is an interesting concept that I have never heard of.
Do you have pictures or is there a thread somewhere? I tried a search to no avail.

Thanks

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll pipe up here. Bjorn does have a bypass coolant filter on the truck. He did an article in MV magazine about it a while back. He said it was a breeze of a job and cost very little. I need to be doing that myself. I'm sure he has pics.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The MVM issue is #109, June, 2005.
Image of installed by-pass filter below.
A bypass filter will filter a small portion of the total at a time, but eventually all the fluid will pass through it.
Most over-the-road trucks will have a coolant filter. Core sand, rust, scales etc will wear on seals and pump and will reduce the efficiency of the coolant.
Cost very little (less than $50) and installs in an hour max. Highly recommended.

Dieselsmoke

Put one on, then cut the old filter open after you replace it. Interesting how much crap you can find in your cooling system!

Wyattearp

Glad to see that Bjorn had pictures, Gary(Polverone) has been conversing about that filter set up, I had been busy today (family affairs) and had not had a chance to ask Bjorn about that, I must have missed that article in the MV mag. I will have to recheck my book.... see what 12hr night shift does to ya, you forget stuff LOL....

Hey that is slick! It looks like it belongs there.
Thanks to Wyatt for giving me the heads up on this and Bjorn for taking the bull by the horns and pulling through as usual. Great idea and the pic even shows the filter #.
Do you have the part # handy for the filter attachment bracket?
I have finally received my first MV magazine

Opie

I'll be installing one. I put two bottles of Prestone cooling system treatment and tap water in the system before my two hour drive to scout camp, and what is in there now looks like chocolate milk or Mississippi riverwater. Ugh!

Wyattearp

as soon as i pick up the new unit for mine that is one thing that is going on for sure before much running is done, plus im thinking of a way to fab one up on my CTD, not sure if its possible but every bit of filtering helps, Of course i don't think Cummins has had problems with leaving sand in their blocks either, by the way she is at 107,000 and running like a champ.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Peter, you need to change coolant and when you do, make sure the coolant in the engine also gets replaced, not just what's in the radiator.
Disconnect the lower radiator hose and check for accumulated rust, scale, core sand etc. You may be surpised at the amount that collects there.
Distilled water is cheap, don't use tap or well water. For more, see the article in MVM issue #109, June 2005.

Wyattearp

yeah sounds like the 3 of us need to get together when were all 3 up and running, Peter if you come visit me, its a gradual uphill pull as i live below Mt. Rogers up here and only 15 min from Grayson Highlands State Park.
Bjorn i am waiting on the guy that has both my radiators to backflush and repair and pressure check the one i got from you, and in the meantime im waiting till i have a day that me and dad can pull the old engine, i want dad to be part of it as he is excited about this little project of mine as well, of course i might have something to do with not having to call someone to haul gravel etc... LOL

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Bjorn, where did you get the bracket to mount the filter? I think the filter is like a NAPA 4070 or somehting liek that, right? Going to do this upgrade since I am flushing the cooling system during my head gasket job.

Thanks

Clintooo

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
I have been using one for 2-3years(Stolly). It came from NAPA. There are 2 filters to choose from. One has a chemical cartridge inside that treats the coolant as time goes by. If you use it you may need to check the compatibility issue discussed in the NAPA catalog. The filter housing has a fitting that restricts flow. It also restricts particall size . It might be good to check it from time to time if you have a scaly system. I do. It will not trap these big particles [inside the filter] and they will clog the fitting. That fitting's hole was really small (1/8?). I opened mine up a bit with a drill.
JimK

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
There are 2 filters to choose from. One has a chemical cartridge inside that treats the coolant as time goes by. If you use it you may need to check the compatibility issue discussed in the NAPA catalog.
So is the 4070 the chemical cartridge equipped filter?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks