• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Custom reciever hitch

mangus580

Spent the better part of the day today trying to design and make a hitch for my M1009. I had wanted something bolt on, and wanted to make sure it was strong enough. I had a 'factory' setup off a civvy blazer, but that wasn't going to work quite right with the way the military bumper/hitch setup is attached. I also took the opportunity to mount the civvy trailer plug on the opposite side as the Military one. We figure that this setup should let my hitch support every bit as good as the pintle will. See the pics.... I do need to paint it green still [^] :hop:

dilvoy

Why don't you whack off the part of the tube that extends forward of your box tube cross brace and then box it all in with a plate? Then if you are rear ended really badly, your hitch won't be likley to puncture your fuel tank. By the way, where is the skid plate for the fuel tank? George

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought one that had the factory setup under the pintle. Had to bend the safety chain loops to force it in. With my first 1009 I got into a pinch and needed something quick so I removed the rotating pintle and bolted a rigid pintle ball combo right in the same holes. Quick and easy but I was confined to the one ball size. Once the 383 paint found it's way onto the hitch, looked pretty decent.

mangus580

Dilvoy, did they have a skid plate from the factory? Boxing it with a plate might just be a good idea. We had so many different theories yestarday, we never even thought of that one. With as hard as all the bolts were to line up in the end though, I will probably just keep it the way it is.

dilvoy

Mangus580, Every M1009 I've had has had a skid plate back there. I thought it was part of the Military package. Ya, I guess using a cutting torch and arc welding near a fuel tank woulden't be a good idea. I don't think you'll have any problems the way the hitch is, but if it ever needs to come off.......

mangus580

This topic came back up in chat... and i realized the pics were gone from the Great Forum Crash of 05. So here they are...

Attachments

ida34

I put in the regular Reese type hitch from a civy blazer. You have to take off the square tube bar that mounts to the frame on each side to strengthen the pintle hitch attachment. I then cut the bar down do fit inside the civy hitch between the sides. I welded up the ends of the bar with a grade 8 nut. I then marked and drilled a hole in the civy hitch and bolted the tubing to the sided of the civy hitch and the regular points under the pintle hitch attachment stuff. I will post pics when I can. It seemed to work great and I was strong enough to get my M103 back from Columbus. Mike's deal would take more fabrication and welding skill than I have. All my welds need to be hidden.

jag7720

mangus580, do you have dimensions for this hitch? I'd like to build one.

How thick is that plate? ? How long is the plate?

What are the dimensions of the smaller tubing?

The rest I think I can figure out

Jason
Kansas City, MO

mangus580

I can tell you that the spacer tube is 2.5" tall, if that helps.

Honestly, this could be made with just about anything. I grabbed what I had.

jag7720

Yeah... I just don't have anything lying around... I went down to the local "By the foot" metal supply.

Prolly overkill but I picked up some 5"x.5"x2' plate and some of that tubing. $16

I called a local trailer shop and sent them a picture of your hitch... they wanted $200 to build it. I'm in the wrong business...

I'll let you know how it turns out.

jag7720

How well did/does your hitch hold up? What kinda of loads have you towed with it?

I'm looking to tow a small utility trailer or a small Mobile Scout camper.

thoughts?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks