• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alternative Fuels for M35 Multi

SouthTexasDiesel

I'm sorry if this has been beat to death but I want to get a good scope of what I can run in a Deuce. I'm planning on buying one in the next few months and need to know how I can afford to drive it around without using off-road diesel.

I'm mostly interested in using a mix of diesel and WMO. What I'd like to know is what ratios are you guys using and how well do you filter the WMO before adding it to the diesel? What's the process in producing it? Can you also use WVO in the same way?

Living down in S. Texas it really doesn't get very cold down here, low 30's at best and it still gets up into the 70's in the middle of winter, so getting to cold shouldn't be an issue.

TommyG45

Tex,

Read through this section.

The most common is waste motor oil, in a mixture ratio from 100% WMO to people who run 10% WMO and 90% diesel. Personally, I run 80/20... WMO to unleaded gas. When it get colder, I will back way off the WMO an stick with diesel.

Filtering is as varied as you can get. I have seen everything from old socks to using a centrifuge. I personally prefilter using a 5 micron filter/water blocker prior to hitting the centrifuge which in theory takes it down to <1 micron. If your doing a lot of oil, over time the centrifuge may make more sense.

HAve a look at this section though, and if you have specific questions, post them up, and we will have a look.

Welcome aboard though, this site is a wealth of info.

Tommy

dc3coyote

I run a mix of Gasoline diesel, and motor oil. In mine. thankfully the avaitors at work dont understand the difference in the two, so we are always throwing it out. Is it bad that my duece is now my daily driver because I get free diesel? I do however put a fresh bottle of Motor oil in it if I add alot of Gasoline though.

dm22630

SouthTexasDiesel said:
Are their any long term effects from running the truck on %50 Diesel & %50 WMO constantly?
Fuel filters will clog up more frequently.

Problems starting in COLD weather.

More Prius's will be needed to offset global warming. rofl

SouthTexasDiesel

Filters shouldn't be a problem, as long as I can find new ones.

Cold weather, not down here.

Those Prius's are annoying, I gotta pick those things out of the grills of my trucks everyday, maybe I should just get a bug screen.

Stonewall

Thanks for the information on this topic. I am also a new Deuce owner and thus far have only run diesel in my truck. I knew that the engine is a multi-fuel, and I have joked with my friends about just putting the waste oil in the tank. I was not sure that people actually ran their trucks this way. I may try this out before winter.....

SouthTexasDiesel

I'm trying to keep my filtering set-up as simple as possible. What I'm thinking is a raised 55 gallon drum with a pipe coming from the bottom with a valve, and under that some type of canister filter, then just ran into another drum underneath.

So to what extent do I need to filter it. I've heard from 10 micron all the way to 1 micron? And are there any canister filters with this rating?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The stock deuce filters are 10 micron nominal. Gravity feed filtering will be painfully slow, might want to pressurize the top barrel, only to like 10psi though, that can bursting will NOT be fun. I have been using a fleet guard fs1000 filter and been happy.

SouthTexasDiesel

Time isn't that much of an issue, that's why I think this set-up would work well. Just open the valve and come pack a few days later to filtered oil. So will a 10 micron be good enough, or should I go smaller?

TommyG45

I have four 330 gallon tanks that I use to store and process the oil. The deuce gets a 275 gallon steel home heating oil tank that mounts horizontally, low center of gravity, and is used to collect the oil. One the collect the oil, I transfer it to the first holding tank filtered through an old tee shirt. I have gone through several old tee shirts. fact is, where there is oil, there is goo. Filter at the first stage on the cheap. It's not till later I run the oil through the centrifuge.

By the way, if your near NE Ohio, and looking for tanks, I have three Home heating oil tanks, and some 330 gallon tanks if needed. I went a little over the top while refining my process. PM me if interested.

Gravity filtering is slow, and unpredictable when your oil sources are varied and it's the first time your filtering.... just my opinion. YOu can get it to the point where you actually stop the oil flow. The colder it gets, the worse also...

Tommy

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks