• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alternative Fuels for M35 Multi

Stalled

I am trying out the mineral oil from a transformer shop(filtered and dry) but am going to use a good mix of diesel with it.May I suggest if anyone trys this as a fuel to remember that PCBs are present in older transformers,and there are no acceptable limits for exposure to them.I know the operator of this shop and trust him not to be mixing in the old stuff so to speak.

SasquatchSanta

SouthTexasDiesel Wrote:

....need to know how I can afford to drive it around without using off-road diesel.
I don't know how it is in South Texas or other parts of the country but we don't dare use off-road (red) diesel in Minnesota. The law even stop and sticks the tanks on pickups up here. The fine is stiff.

I'm told the process they use to test for off-road involves somehow chemically detecting the red dye. I wish I knew for sure because I'm afraid to run automatic transmission oil.

SasquatchSanta

TommyG45 Wrote:

The deuce gets a 275 gallon steel home heating oil tank that mounts horizontally, low center of gravity, and is used to collect the oil.
Tommy --- are you saying you have a horizontal 275 gallon fuel oil tank mounted in the back of your deuce?

I just ran across a 275 gallon lay-down tank and have been thinking about buying it an mountiing it on my deuce.

Pawnshop

I have been using 25% unleaded 87 octane gasoline and 75% used motor oil (and transmission fluid, gear oil, compressor oil, Marvel Mystery Oil, ANY oil I can find), all mixed together then filtered through a 5 micron sock filter before it goes into the fuel tank. Mixing the gas and oil before filtering thins it out and makes it go pretty fast. I am only collecting small amounts right now (worried about getting sideways with the Fire Marshal), I put 1.25 gal of gas in a 5 gal US fuel can and top it off with the waste oil, then I use a 15 gal nalgene drum with a 6" hole in the top to fit some 5 micron sock filters I found on eBay (fom an outfit in Beaumont) that have a 7" steel ring sewn in the lip and pour it through 5 gal at a time, then into a bucket and into the Deuce's tank. It's a small scale operation that shouldn't attract too much attention in the city and works for me at this time, I may upgrade to a less back breaking method later, but I think my general procedure will remain. The truck runs good with little smoke, though it idles a bit low till it warms up. I have topped the tank with diesel when I was low on WMO so I can't tell you how it runs on my mix at 100%.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have a tank that I am thinking about using as a spare fuel tank. It has unknown origin, and I want to clean it out before I use it. Most of the shops I've been to said it was too big to dip in the caustic solution or to have it ultrasounded. How can I clean it out before use?

TommyG45

SasquatchSanta said:
TommyG45 Wrote:

The deuce gets a 275 gallon steel home heating oil tank that mounts horizontally, low center of gravity, and is used to collect the oil.
Tommy --- are you saying you have a horizontal 275 gallon fuel oil tank mounted in the back of your deuce?

I just ran across a 275 gallon lay-down tank and have been thinking about buying it an mountiing it on my deuce.
Santa,

Yes, it's a 275 gallon lay down home heating oil tank, you can mount it one of two ways. If you mount it long way in the bed, it makes the valves more accessable. Lessons learned on this one. The gravity drain is not a good option, it just takes way too long. I hook a pump to the valve and pump it to my storage tank. I did a test run of about 125 gallons just to see how everything would work out. Round trip of about 80 miles. When I say I have it mounted, what I really mean to say is I have it located long ways in the bed, I use three large cargo straps and crank it in to keep it from moving around. Once you have some oil in there @ ~ 8lbs per gallon, you got some pretty good weight to keep things still. I am going to modify the setup though by putting two 2x4x16 foot cut to the length of the bed, lag the flange feet to the 2x4 and use one strap just for peace of mind.

All in all, it seems to work pretty well, and with the 2x4 option, you can play with centering the load any way you wish.

Tommy