• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2 to 6.5TDL?

jpinst

I have an 87 m998 6.2 diesel and I was trying to figure out if I could make an engine swap to a 6,5 turbo diesel?

That is to say, is it a straight swap? Do I need to make some major mods? What engines are recommended and where can I get one? I want to buy a new rebuild, or new if possible.

Thanks in advance.

superburban

What Westech said. The turbo on a HMMWV is mounted on top of the engine, on the back. On the GM trucks, the turbo is over on the right side of the engine. It wont fit easily. I believe that the engine/turbo out of a GM van is the same as the H1/HMMWV. The 6.2 and 6.5 engines are virtually identical, externally, so the motor mounts and transmission mounts will be a direct swap. You will just have to deal with plumbing.

jpinst

Great! Thanks for the advice. SO when I am searching for this engine, apart from the 6.5 TDL, what am I searching for? Is there a special name for this engine? Thanks!!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd just search in the 2815 category on GL. This is the first 6.5 turbo one I've come across on GL. I hope to evaluate it on Thursday to see exactly what I got. From there I'll have to decide if I want to use this one or my other 6.5 Turbo engine in the M880. This one may get sold if I can't find the right place for it.

TedG

Kenny,

Check the back block casting number (upper left side above flex plate) on that 6.5td and let me know the last 4 digits. Remember that in the late 90's, most 6.5td developed cracks (internal and external) in the block by the #8 cylinder (right rear). I hope you got a good one!

TedG

Agreed, but I also believe that there is an inherent flaw in the design of those blocks so be aware. The turbo favors the right bank & #8 gets hot hot. Plus the last new dep I received did not have exhaust gaskets, which I did add prior to setting in place. The answer I got was 'it was within specs'... Also, I have had a dep 6.5td with an external crack on the left front cylinder...3'' long! pour water in one end & out it ran on the other! others have had bad head gaskets & cracked heads! When I asked an amg employee about keeping that engine they said 'we are stuck with it'. So like I said/asked Kenny, please provide numbers & I'll tell what may/may not occur...just trying to help!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like I'm going to have to remove the exhaust plumbing from the turbo to get the numbers. Give me a few days.

TedG

Kenny,

It should be visable by just removing the rear turbo heat sheild and the look under the left bank exhaust flex pipe. The number is on top of the block. See picture.

BTW. I have a bunch of the 6.5td #8 engines so if you need parts...let me know.

Attachments

TedG

Kenny,

Once I get home I will check all the numbers and tell you what I have found...you can also add liquid and see what happens!!! Seriously, when you can, do a compression test and inspect block for external cracks below the heads (not in that order). The picture belows shows how easy it is to spot a cracked 6.5td block!

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Ted. My thoughts were to groudhop it to see if it runs and has oil pressure. Once I get it somewhat warm I was going to plug up the cooling system and pressure test it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks