• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2 to 6.5TDL?

Tanner

TedG said:
Kenny,

Once I get home I will check all the numbers and tell you what I have found...you can also add liquid and see what happens!!! Seriously, when you can, do a compression test and inspect block for external cracks below the heads (not in that order). The picture belows shows how easy it is to spot a cracked 6.5td block!
Geez Ted... if you can do THAT much block damage with a screwdriver, then maybe you should never pick up a ratchet and go anywhere near a 6.5?

rofl

"Tanner"

TedG

tanner, just out view is a 12 pound sledge hammer tapping the srewdriver!

kenny,

good-bad news;
good first- to my knowledge, 6806 is the latest casting.
bad- the crack shown above is on a 6806 block. I currently am have a new 6806 & I hope she works.

5506-bad #8 {internal & external cracks}, bad head gasket, cracked head...

7141-bad #8...

these cast numbers are for 6.5td's, NOT 6.2. the share same crank though...

anti freeze in the can is a good sign that there maybe no cracks, since the block holds water. it spills/slosh's out during shipping.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Ted. The bad thing about the coolant in the can is with out constant temp changes it rains in the can every day. Most of the bare surfaces have surface rust. Nothing serious but annoying. I've since drained the can. Now I need to get some new desiccant bags to put back in.

mangus580

Considering in the civvy world, I havent heard a 'ton' about this... Is it possible that the humvee/van style engine setup doesnt cool as well as the pickup engine?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, thats not possible! Looks more like casting shift or freeze damage from the pics Ted displayed.

mapaliz

Hi Superburban,
I':?:m restoring an old 1989 M998 in South America and the engine that I fount is a 6.5 TD from a GM military pick up. This truck has the side mounted turbo. I want to keep the turbo as i live in Quito (10.000 altitude city ) with Mountains. What Body modifications do you believe that ill have to do to fit the turbo in the engine compartment?

ClarkeF

It wont fit. The engine in the HMMWV is offset to the passenger side. The body is in the way of a side-mount turbo.

Hi Superburban,
I':?:m restoring an old 1989 M998 in South America and the engine that I fount is a 6.5 TD from a GM military pick up. This truck has the side mounted turbo. I want to keep the turbo as i live in Quito (10.000 altitude city ) with Mountains. What Body modifications do you believe that ill have to do to fit the turbo in the engine compartment?

Chief_919

I addition to what many have said here, you cannot just bolt a center mount turbo setup onto the NA or side mount turbo 6.5, as the heads are different.

The AMG 6.5 blocks are vast by Navistar now, and they are much better quality than what GM was casting.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks