• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1009 headlight problems

shnuzz

Bought the truck a few days ago and all the lights worked fine until yesterday. checked and changed most of the fuses but I think it has something to do with the blackout system since it's only the headlights, turn signals, brake lights, and emergency lights that don't work (all of which can be controlled by the blackout system, right?) any advice on what I should look at or where to get an electrical schematic would be appreciated.

mangus580

first, check and make sure the blackout switch is set right.... ;-)

I think there is a relay that handles this. Let me dig up the TM that has the schematic in it, and I will post it to the tech manual section.

MakuaKane

Thanks for that tech manual Magnus. I let someone borrow my M1009 and then the lights, all lights, stopped working. No service lights or blackout. I figured it had something to do with that darn relay. With having the manual in pdf format I was able to search for a picture of where the relay was located. Will post the results when I figure it out. Maybe someone else will have the same problem.

aja458

headlight problems-m1008

the m1008 i just bought, lights arent working. it doesnt matter where the blackout light switch is set. any fuse,relay or something else i should check? no turn signals,headlights brake lights.thanks for any help. great site

mangus580

RE: headlight problems-m1008

The switch on teh right needs to be in the top position. To do this, you need to pull out on the handle of the switch and flip it up.

dilvoy

My brother is having the same problem with his M1009. It had no lights at all, even no BO lights since he got it surplus. I chacked all the fuses and they are all good. I think I'll chack the connection at the fusable links and see If I find any problems there.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a little drift from topic here. When I got my last M1009 it looking like George the Butcher had a training day on the wiring harness. I printed out the schematic from the -20 PDF and took it to Office Depot. They enlarged it to aan 11x17 and laminated it. Worked great, you could stick it right under the hood with magnets while troubleshooting the truck.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
when i got my ford f350, i had a circut just not gettig any juice, i checked and probed everywhere, it turned out to be a bad fuseable link, that showed no sign of being bad but on testing, it was dead

jumpmasterjim

the fuse panel is under the dash left of steering wheel. Fusible links on passenger side of engine compartment and around solinoid on firewall.One of my 1008s' is having similar issue. I'll have to get the multi-meter out this weekend.

pitbull

I had the same problem with mine. It was a fuse. It wasn't blown but it wasn't healthy looking either.Here is a quote from another thread on which fuse it was.

"The row with 4 fuses in it, furthest right one ... 30 AMP. Yeah, my fuse doesn't stay in there 'naturally', so a little hotglue is working some magic with it.
I believe that row is the third row from the bottom. Bottom row being the single 28v fuse.

HTH,

-graham"

I hope this helps, Dustin

aja458

re-fuse to lights

replaced the fuse-looked ok still nothing.
question on the alternators
do the alternators switch off and on while running.it seems like one will charge one battery then you hear a click and charges other battery. volt meter shows its doing that. is that supposed to happen? or is there something else going on?

ida34

RE: re-fuse to lights

That is probably your glow plugs going on and off. Even though the wait light goes out they still go on and off when you have first started up. This causes the volt meter to fluctuate and the click is probably the glow plug relay going on and off. Does it do it just after startup or all the time. If it is all the time you may have a problem with you glow plug system.

Uglyranger

In Memorial
In Memorial
I lost all lights, turn signal, head, tail and stop.....Had an estra 3 lever light switch, plugged it in and everything worked.....only took me three days to figure it out :shock:

aja458

lights at last

today armed with a test light and a partial clue, i finally got my lights to work.seems to make them work the switch needs to be on the blackout lights on position. thanks for the help in making me see the light.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks