• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Vietnam era Huey..what's it worth?

mutt_kahuna

I looked at a vietnam era Huey yesterday and wanted opinions on value...it's fairly intact..all glass good,body in good shape,engine most of drive intact...seats,instrument panels gone...has mina rotor hub assm. and rotors (not on copter)...I dont know why I want this except It's REALLY COOL!..I want to put instruments back in it.paint it and tow it with a 5 ton to our military shows..a Vietnam era look,see and touch exhibit..as to being restorable to flight stauts??..who knows..I've seen WWII aircraft with a LOT less parts intact restored..I guess almost anything is possible with enough $$$...thanks for any ideas/thoughts....

Attachments

Last edited:

5tonpuller

An airworthy one should got for 250,000 to 450,000 or so , ask him what he wants for it. 20K?
From what I understand ( I also have been known to be wrong ) If you get it for 20K, To make it air worthy and get a N number it will be almost 250K. This stuff is not cheep to keep. Besides, I want a ride when you done.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Nothing says "COOL" like a Huey.........I took door gunner training on one when I was in the 101st Airborne in 1973. Most of our pilots had just got back from Nam and loved to give the FNG's a wild ride.
I got a lot of flight time in them later when I changed MOS's and became a journalist. I loved to have a Huey for a camera ship. Got some really good photos from Hurricane Andrew from one.
I'd rather fly in a Huey than fu.........errrrrr........... I like Hueys.:-D
If you can buy her for a reasonable (for you) price I would go for it.

Bill W

A friend of mine bought one a few years back ( B model) if I remember right he paid around $5000.00 for it and put it pretty much back together ( no mechanicals) for a nice static display. He sold it about 4 years ago and got somewhere around $20,000.00+ for it.They are to cool., I got to tow that Huey in a parade with my M-37. Another friend of mine here in Georgia just bought one recently and he's having a hard time finding rotor blades $$$$ ( Don't know what he paid for that one)

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd love to have one in my yard, on a stand like this Ah-1 Cobra.

Attachments

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
oops my bad! will edit!:oops:

thanks J

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Wow buy it if you can and for sure keep us updated. I would think it would take a fortune to re-certify it for flight status. Helicopters are a symbol of making it in the technological world. They do not even make them here in Korea. I was just discussing this with a retired ROK colonel and Korea is a place made for helicopters.

Chow717

The US Army Heritage and Education Center in Carlisle PA has a nice display of WWI, WWII and Vietnam (and more) hardware ranging from a huey, tanks, gun trucks and more! Well worth a stop if you are in the area. My family and I have spent a very enjoyable time there this summer and look forward to going back as things there progress.

http://www.carlisle.army.mil/ahec/index.htm

Orionspath

A friend of mine bought one a few years back ( B model) if I remember right he paid around $5000.00 for it and put it pretty much back together ( no mechanicals) for a nice static display. He sold it about 4 years ago and got somewhere around $20,000.00+ for it.They are to cool., I got to tow that Huey in a parade with my M-37. Another friend of mine here in Georgia just bought one recently and he's having a hard time finding rotor blades $$$$ ( Don't know what he paid for that one)

I have wanted one since the first time I saw one in the mid sixties. Knowing that the chances of obtaining one were rare if not, none existant, I decided to focus on something equitable and within reach. THAT's how I got HERE! I often have told my Uncle that one day, I would have one even if it sat idle in the front yard, just to look at!
So when I pulled down his driveway this past spring in the Duece, He gave here a once over and said, well just what are you going to do with this. To which I replied, everything and if nothing else, she can just sit in my front yard so that I might Appreciate her beauty everyday!
Heck, 8 months later, there's 2 more dueces and several pull alongs! These things are just like rabbits!

I do however truly appreciate that pull along behind the M-37!

Stonewall

If you have the money....go for it. That would be an awesome tow-along display in a parade. I know I would have loved catching gum from one.

undysworld

When I was a kid, we visited some folks out in San Diego. While there, I saw a plane fuselage some guy had mounted onto a bus chassis, and was able to drive around on the streets.

I know it'd amount to blasphemy to chop up that helicopter, but it'd sure get some looks driving down the interstate....

Sorry, it's the old head injury acting up again.

Good luck on finding a new home for it.

cobra5

Ed,

How you doing? The A-2 is still pieces just waiting for me to get time to paint it. Where are you going to store this thing? If he didn't give you an asking price I would start with the actual scrap value and go from there. Cash talks and these are hard times for most people because of the economy. Better to see someone buy this than the scrap man getting it because the guy is desperate for $$$.

Tim

dabtl

Before you put money into it, find out who owns the thing! No kidding. If this was a static display somewhere at a VFW or the like it may still be US Govt. property. Check it out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks