• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Vietnam era Huey..what's it worth?

lonejacklarry

I think I remember, roughly, where the one in my avatar is. The problem is that
it was wadded up and burning the last time I saw it.

Actually, these things are still around. A shell w/ rotors is not too expensive but, as others
have noted, making it street legal will cost many thousands. A 540 system rotor as in the picture is about 21' long and they make a great picnic table w/ benches.

Start your search with aircraft salvage yards and I'd target two areas: the SW part of the US where the weather would have preserved the aircraft or the south near the offshore oil rigs. Petroleum Helicopters, Inc., in Layfayette, LA, used to have a bunch of them.

Larry
Lone Jack, MO

Buckmaw

There is a LOT missing from that airframe.

I would pass on it. I worked on those things for 4 years.

Transmission
Mast
Hub
Blades
Swash Plate
PCL's
Seats
etc.. etc...

Boog

For what it's worth, we're still working on them here at Cherry Point. Even doing a 4 blade conversion on the Super Cobra.

We're getting good feedback on those I hear.

6x6guy

If your interested- check with Mark Sondag at the Military Museum used to be in Kenosha Wisc. and moved to I believe to Russel Ill. right on the Ill/Wisc border on 90/94, he had a couple stashed away for sale at one time- it's be a awhile since I've talked to him, or he might direct you to another source- LOL. :roll:

Last edited:

jasonjc

They had some on GL last year I think. It was a lot of like 5 uh-60 oh-58 maybe a uh-1. All where basket cases but could have made good displays. And then there was a C-130 at Little Rock. I thout about that one. Take the deuce down hook a tow bar too it and tow it home. If I had my BDU's on and any leo stop me I could just give the story tha some dumb a$$ officer told me to do it. The only bad part is the tunle don't think it would have fit:evil: It would have looked great in my yard.

MeanDoggy

Even doing a 4 blade conversion on the Super Cobra.

We're getting good feedback on those I hear.
From what I understand, the "Zulu" models are still out at Yuma doing some testing. The Marines like them, we still have some bugs to get out before we send them into combat. I work for Bell Helicopter, that's why I know this. The "Yankee" model (4 bladed Huey) is doing great.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks