• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

McGuyver's M880

McGuyver

Hello all,

here's a few pictures' of my M880. I just repainted the four color MERDC pattern on it, however it's not entirely complete yet (some of the black and sand is not painted yet) So what do you think? I really like it. This is the "winter, US and Europe" four color pattern using 34094 green,(I thought 34079 forest green was too dark) 30118 field drab, and the standard black and sand colors.

Attachments

Armada

Welcome back. I like the paint, and the truck. Very clean, nice work. You almost never see the dodges anymore, especially here in the north.

Dieselsmoke

I love MERDC, I'm thinking about redoing the M109A3 (currently MERDC but needs repaint bad) and maybe the M52A2 would look cool that way. That 880 looks nice, but looks a tad taller than stock :)

McGuyver

Thanks for the comments. Yeah, I've got a mild four inch lift on it, and I have a set of Humvee tires that are waiting to go on it as soon as I get the 440 swap complete. :mrgreen:

N1265

I hear you when you say no one can find the 4 color pattern...... all I could find was what percentages of each color to use. so tell us where you found it?

Thanks, Nick

truck looks good !

McGuyver

Thanks guys, I appreciate the compliments. As far as the pattern goes, here's what I did:
First thing to realize is that although the MERDC pattern isn't readily available for the M880, it is available for the M715, and the two patterns are identical. So I started with the NATO three color pattern, opened it up in the "paint" program, and erased all the lines from the NATO pattern. Next I printed this "blank" copy out as well as the MERDC pattern from the M715, and using a light table, I traced the M715 pattern onto the M880. When I was finished, I rescanned the M880 pattern in and added colors, however I may save a version without any colors for printing purposes. One advantage of rescanning it was that I was able to eliminate all the gray shades leaving only black and white, and this makes it MUCH easier to fill colors so one can experiment with what other color combos look like. One tip I would give you all, if you are ever finding your self needing to edit a picture like this, save it in somethin like a TIF file for your working copy since everytime you save a file as a JPEG, you lose some information in the compression.

N1265

Wow.... Thats brilliant! I've been looking for the 4 color patern for thr M880 for a couple of months. I never thought of running off the m715 pattern.

I just re-painted my M880 with the orginal colors but made the pattern up myself... ( I dont really like it but it was my first time painting a cammo pattern )

I am definatly going to re do it in the spring.

Many thanks for the tip.

Nick

McGuyver

Thanks guys. :) Nick, I can probably post a copy of the pattern once I get done cleaning it up. It got a little bit grainy in places as a result of the print and rescan process.

McGuyver

Her's some other pics I took that I like better(Field drab looks closer to the true brown that it really is, not orange like in some of the other pics):

P.S. I posted a small JPG copy of the MERDC pattern over on the M880 forum if anyone is interested. I've got a full sized TIF format version that I can upload if someone can tell me where to send it.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't believe how clean this truck is. Man, if I could just find one of them hiding someplace.

McGuyver

Thanks for the compliment Kenneth. Sadly, the truck is not as "clean" as the pictures make it out to be. There is rust breaking through over the rear wheel wells (more so on the driver side), and on the lower rear corners of the front fenders. I plan on replacing the fenders eventually, but the rear wheel wells will be more difficult to fix.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks