• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

McGuyver's M880

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Still a wonderful truck and maybe the best kept secret in the MV truck world. Sure can't buy deuce parts at Wamart.

McGuyver

Recovry4x4 said:
Still a wonderful truck and maybe the best kept secret in the MV truck world. Sure can't buy deuce parts at Wamart.
Good point. You can get *most* M880 parts at any auto parts store.

Scrambler

Hi there, good looking truck.
Do you have originel color codes (numbers) of all four colors? My Duece needs repainting and I have a hard time finding the right paint overhere.

McGuyver

the four colors for the MERDC four color "Winter, U.S. and Europe-Verdant" pattern are:

34079 (forest green) 45%
30118 (field drab) 45%
30277 (sand) 5%
37038 (black) 5%
or
37030 (black) 5%

I got all these colors from RAPCO parts company in spray cans. However I did NOT like how dark the forest green turned out, so I substituted the 34094 (383 CARC green) color, which I think is much closer to the original color I've seen used.

the 34094 green is also available in PPG automotive acrylic enamel paint. There is a PPG paint number for this and I can look it up for you when I get home from work tonight. You may even be able to find it in one of my previous posts where i mentioned it before.

ida34

Nonrusted dodge trucks from the 70's and 80's are few and far between. I think I remember being told that Chrysler had problems with the sheet metal they used in that period and all their cars and trucks are really prone to rust. I have a 77 Snow Commander that has rust holes in the upper area of the rear quarter panel. I have never seen rust poke out somewhere that could not accumulate dirt and water. The snow plow setup is great and Dodge really made great plow trucks during that time. The trans cooler is the same size as the radiator in this thing and the front has a 3/4 ton heavy 44 instead of the normal 1/2 44. Nice truck that is rusted to all hell.

Elwenil

The issue is with the design and drainage in the body panels, not the metal itself. Very similar to GM trucks of the same era. Anytime water and dirt can get trapped it will make short work of any paint or coating and eat out the metal. Dodges also have some of the strangest fuel filler and tank venting setups that frequently lead to some moronic backyard mechanic unhooking or rerouting them which causes the fuel vapors to get trapped in the bedsides on the driver side and eat them out.

Replacement sheet metal is available and is not very expensive, but only frequent washing and spraying off the underside and all the corners will prevent the rust from coming back.

ida34

The metal problem I remember was right around the time that Chrysler almost tanked and the metal problem was cited as one of the problems. Then Lee Iococa (sp) came in and this was one of the things he changed as I remember but that was 20 years or more ago. I agree that washing the junk off is the best way to prevent rust. My mom has a car that she always took to the do it yourself carwash but never took it through an undercarriage wash. The body looks great except around the edges where the rust from below has finally begun to show. Looking under the car it is a rust bucket but you can't tell from looking at it normally. The rust I am talking about on my truck bed is not on the fuel tank side and there is no place for water or dirt to collect.

I applaud you for keeping at least two on the road but way too much work to fix this one. I think all the car companies got better at rust prevention in the late 80's.

One critical problem I see with the M880 series is the front wheel bearings. It seems like they are really weak compared to other 44 front bearing set ups. I see alot that have messed up spindles and bearings and I don't think the GM and Ford 44s had the same problem. There is an M880 on ebay for parts right now with the familiar look of the front driver's side spindle torn apart.

On a better note, they really knew how to build plow trucks to put up with the severe duty.

Elwenil

The unit bearings are a joke. There really is no substitute for a set of nice big cone bearings. The new Rams have a similar setup and it sucks just about as much as the late 70s version. I bought my 74 W100 because it was one of the few years that had the large 5" on 5.5" bolt circle, and was not full time 4WD, had normal cone bearing hubs and a NP205 trasfer case stock. The W200 I have was a 74 model also, simply out of luck since I was also born in 74, lol. As for keeping them on the road, I modified the hell out of the W100 for trail duty and added the big block and assorted other things and bobbed the bed, etc. etc. As it stands now I'm simply going to crush them since I cannot get a decent offer out of anyone here locally to sell them to and I refuse to let anyone profit from all of my work, so I will crush them and get the cash from the scrap.

Low-Tech-Redneck

Super clean truck!

Reminds me of my old 78' , Road salt isn't kind to 70's era trucks and cars :(

Rusted away years ago, but the motor was still good, that's what's currently powering project Aeropar.

Adamlee

Elwenil said:
The unit bearings are a joke. There really is no substitute for a set of nice big cone bearings. The new Rams have a similar setup and it sucks just about as much as the late 70s version. I bought my 74 W100 because it was one of the few years that had the large 5" on 5.5" bolt circle, and was not full time 4WD, had normal cone bearing hubs and a NP205 trasfer case stock. The W200 I have was a 74 model also, simply out of luck since I was also born in 74, lol. As for keeping them on the road, I modified the hell out of the W100 for trail duty and added the big block and assorted other things and bobbed the bed, etc. etc. As it stands now IWait! I'm in VA! Don't crush anything yet!

I used to drive an M880 and I wouldn't mind a W100 or W200!

ida34

If anyone needs parts for these I have accumulated quite a few. I have some new rocker panels that I never got around to using. I also have extra from end parts. I am getting ready to sell my 77 snow commander. I will post hear when I do but I would not recommend it for anything other than an occasional use truck and a driveway plow truck. I have a 3/4 ton parts truck with 1 ton rear springs that will either go with the 77 or to the crusher after I sell the 77. If anyone needs parts let me know and I will give you a good price.

McGuyver

Thanks guys! I appreciate the comments. The jury is still out on how well I like these tire though. It seems as though they to wander all over the road and they act like square tires (real lumpy ride) until they warm up. Both characteristics of large bias ply tires. Apparently bias ply tires won't get as good of fuel mileage as radials too. Oh well, I didn't pay a lot for them, so I'm not complaining.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks