• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WWII Studebaker US-6 on GB

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Mike is correct, the US-6 is significantly less common than the CCKW.

That one has some strange mods, like those front fender skirts. I wonder how bad the rear frame is butchered up for that dump box.

US-6/CCKW beds aren't easy to come by either.

Hmmm........ only 1,830 miles from me.

dburt

Here is one that is available in SE Oregon that is a 1945 model. It has had the frame lengthened so it could have a agricultural bin-type box put on it for hauling sugar beets. The engine had been replaced with a GMC 6-cylinder which bit the dust in about '97 and has been sitting ever since. I think the guy would take $500-$750 for it.

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes. The ones sent to Russia were used for cargo, but a lot were also modifed as rocket-launching trucks called "Stalin's Organs". Sent wave after wave of unguided rockets at the Germans.

Bill W

The Russians acknowledged very little of what we did for them in WWII
But they loved the US-6 so much that they did send a letter of appreciation to Studebaker

FrankUSMC

They (the Russians) also copied the US-6 truck up into the 1960s. There was a very bad flaw in the cab area of the US-6, Studabacker know about it, but the military would not let them correct it due to it would mean stopping production. When the Russians started copieing the US-6 after WWII.....they even copied the flaw in the cab.
Years ago, I wrote a story for Army Motors (MVPA) about finding some US-6s here in North Carolina. They all marked as being used on the Alaskan highway during 1942!
One more note on the US-6, it was not like the CCKW as far as carrieing wieght. The US-6 was more like the M35 on being heavy duty. The CCKW was more on the light truck side, she had a very weak clutch, and could not carry nearly as much as the US-6, or the International 6x6. The good thing about the CCKW is a they made a bunch of them to move the goods.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

m26a1tom

I saw a US-6 in a junk yard near here the other day. It was really rough, but its the first one I have ever seen in person. I can't remember if it had the original bed on it or not. If anyone is interested let me know and I will see if I can find out more about it.

lowrdrbird

Dont mean to hash up old posts but is this still around?? The one from around Idaho.
I would be interested in some parts off her.
Ken

Last edited: