• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WWII Studebaker US-6 on GB

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Mike is correct, the US-6 is significantly less common than the CCKW.

That one has some strange mods, like those front fender skirts. I wonder how bad the rear frame is butchered up for that dump box.

US-6/CCKW beds aren't easy to come by either.

Hmmm........ only 1,830 miles from me.

dburt

Here is one that is available in SE Oregon that is a 1945 model. It has had the frame lengthened so it could have a agricultural bin-type box put on it for hauling sugar beets. The engine had been replaced with a GMC 6-cylinder which bit the dust in about '97 and has been sitting ever since. I think the guy would take $500-$750 for it.

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes. The ones sent to Russia were used for cargo, but a lot were also modifed as rocket-launching trucks called "Stalin's Organs". Sent wave after wave of unguided rockets at the Germans.

Bill W

The Russians acknowledged very little of what we did for them in WWII
But they loved the US-6 so much that they did send a letter of appreciation to Studebaker

FrankUSMC

They (the Russians) also copied the US-6 truck up into the 1960s. There was a very bad flaw in the cab area of the US-6, Studabacker know about it, but the military would not let them correct it due to it would mean stopping production. When the Russians started copieing the US-6 after WWII.....they even copied the flaw in the cab.
Years ago, I wrote a story for Army Motors (MVPA) about finding some US-6s here in North Carolina. They all marked as being used on the Alaskan highway during 1942!
One more note on the US-6, it was not like the CCKW as far as carrieing wieght. The US-6 was more like the M35 on being heavy duty. The CCKW was more on the light truck side, she had a very weak clutch, and could not carry nearly as much as the US-6, or the International 6x6. The good thing about the CCKW is a they made a bunch of them to move the goods.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

m26a1tom

I saw a US-6 in a junk yard near here the other day. It was really rough, but its the first one I have ever seen in person. I can't remember if it had the original bed on it or not. If anyone is interested let me know and I will see if I can find out more about it.

lowrdrbird

Dont mean to hash up old posts but is this still around?? The one from around Idaho.
I would be interested in some parts off her.
Ken

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks