• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

vzxcvzxczxcvzxcv

Dieselsmoke

Mr. Turbo Diesel

wallew said:
As you might have figured out, I am a HUGE Gale Banks fan!

I'll say Banks does make good products. Their tech people suck and so do their business practices. When you do a $50,000 buy in to sell their product at dealer level 1, then they start selling to a large distributor who now sells to you for far less than Banks was is just wrong. Not to mention, dealers can no longer have Banks pricing in their websites, they have to hotlink back to Banks, who then tries to make your sale :evil:

CUMMINS

There are a lot more people that due turbo diesel performance besides Bank$ who seems extremly over priced for the horsepower added.

Scheiddiesel.com can make almost anything you want, turbos injectors pumps, and camshafts
but I don't think the multifuel would appreciate 500HP for to long

CUMMINS

Better milage and more power would always be better, I think advancing the timing and a more efficient turbo such as a Holset HX35 or HX40 would help, the mutifuel isn't a very clean burning engine, and all that smoke is wasted fuel, custom EDM injectors would help the most but would be extremly expensive

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My deuce never smokes except a little during the first minutes of warm-up. That's with diesel or biodiesel, doesn't matter.
With its 16,000 lb empty weight it gets about 9.5 mpg. Probably 10+mpg with radial tires.
Desert Rat got 11 mpg on his trip to Florida last week.
With the gearing and the weight, 15 mpg sounds hard to reach, but a more efficient engine would help.
Biodiesel contains 10% oxygen, which helps boost power, btw.

CUMMINS

A more efficient turbo would spool faster and push more air at a lower psi , High boost isn't everything infact it can hurt power if the turbo is out of its efficient map, it will start super heating the air which will raise psi, but lower the actual volume of air. I run twins to keep EGTs down and can hit 60psi easily, and you could do it with a single turbo but a turbo big enough to stay together at 60psi would be laggy and the air would be getting extremly hot but it all depends on the efficiecy of the turbo,I think an hx35 from a 5.9 cummins would work well on the multifuel and its efficient to 35psi , advencing timing would help burn the fuel more efficiently at all rpm ranges and it will increase power, timing needs to be advanced especially if the fuel has been turned up , because more fuel takes longer to burn and introducing the fuel earlier would help burn more

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
CUMMINS said:
advencing timing would help burn the fuel more efficiently at all rpm ranges and it will increase power, timing needs to be advanced especially if the fuel has been turned up , because more fuel takes longer to burn and introducing the fuel earlier would help burn more
Are you sure about that? The turboed engines are usually retarded a few degrees to prevent pre ignition, right?

Always looking for an education. :?

CUMMINS

On a gas burner pre ignition can happen but its not likely on a diesel, if the timing is to far advaced then the motor would kick back on start up but the pump gear would have to be taken off and just never lined back up, a gas burner will take in air and fuel at the same time and then compress it and with a turbo pushing boost much more air would be compressed effectively raising the compression ratio, but on a diesel air is taken in, compressed and then the injector sprays fuel in just before TDC, and when more fuel is introduced it takes longer to burn, the injector is popping open at the same time but continues to spray later after TDC wasting fuel and causing more unnessasary black smoke, On a diesel the it will only fire when you want it to it won't pre ignite unless timming is way off and then the truck wouldn't run, this is of corse if you only run diesel, is you run gasoline or something like that in the multifuel it might be different since it will ignite sooner and burn quicker.

CUMMINS

Some 2 stroke Detroits ran a super charger and a turbo but the super charger was only there to blow the exhaust gases out since they were 2 stroke

hot rod deuce

The hemmit is an 8V-92 detroit that is 2 cycle. All of the newer 2 poper jimmie's are blown and turboed. Dont think that's a real hot set up on a 4 stroke....havent tried it.... :?:

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Turbos operate from heat. Not exaust gas flow. To get a turbo to spool up faster you have to add more heat, or decrease restance to rotation. This is usally done by using a smaller compressor wheel. Exaust gas expansion in the turbine housing is what forces the turbine to spin. If you decrease the clearence between the nozzle ring and the turbine blade you can also increase rpm's. As far as banks products go, I have a banks turbo on my 6.2. Although it work's ok and did increase my milage. The fit and finish was very poor. Bolt holes were drilled in the wrong place and fits were too tight to be assembled. I'm a machinist for a turbocharger company so i could tell very easily what a piece of crap they sold me.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks