• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

quad 50 ammo can mount

hughscpa

I hopefully will be getting my hands on a set of quad 50's in the very near future for a gun truck build. How do the ammo boxes mount to the gun and which are the correct boxes? Will any 50 cal box work?:roll:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have to use tombstone ammo cans. They slide into a dovetail mount. If you need a generator, PM me.

hughscpa

The one I am trying to get does not have the can holders on it. Can they be found or can I make them. Also, where can you find the tombstone ammo cans? I thought I saw where someone said they cost about $200 each. If that is the case I will have to go a different route.

Driver523

Not sure if to many gun trucks used the tumbstone cans---at least the tops---the cans you see in these photos are 200 round cans I believe---I think thats what the tumbstone cans held---I was never around a quad although I did see a couple that the Koreans had---here's some of the Bounty Hunter---I'll see what else I have---enjoy---------------------------Driver

Attachments

Last edited:

Driver523

Here's the Great Eve of Destruction and Widow Maker----They attached them in the box different ways---some even still had the tires on the Maxson power turrets---I don't know if I have any that show just how they were attached but I'll keep looking----I do know that with some like the Great Eve they would take them out of the truck at times and sling them to the forward operating bases, there they could operate all the way across the vallys-----Driver

Attachments

Last edited:

hughscpa

I appreciate the pics and advice driver. How far forward should I mount the guns? Centered over the rear axels? Most of these pictures look like they are over the last axel.

Driver523

Nancy had a sheet of armor cut at an angle and some had a whole sheet, allow for the swing then room for ammo and loaders and yer in like flint---lookin for more-----Driver

Driver523

Here's some more--one from the 666th trans, a couple called Smoke Bringers from the 9th inf. and Hired Killers-----PLUG--remember we'll have some regular gun trucks at the Gathering--info under events----------Driver

Attachments

Driver523

I see in some photos that some quads use the regular 50 cans and some use the bigger cans----here's a couple photos that shows the Maxsom unit and floor of the truck---the Delta Devils truck still has the wheels on the Maxsom unit but folded up and the other quad looks like the wheels are off or at least can't be seen----Driver

Attachments

hughscpa

This is great info Driver. Do you think I would be better off trying to make the brackets for the ammo cans instead of trying to find them? I would imagine they are a very rare item. I'm going to look the guns over again on Sunday and will meet with the Village Board on Tuesday evening and try to talk them into letting me have the guns for my project. I hope to build it to look like Nancy but painted black. Were the gun trucks flat black or a gloss black? Sorry for so many questions.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The one I am trying to get does not have the can holders on it. Can they be found or can I make them. Also, where can you find the tombstone ammo cans? I thought I saw where someone said they cost about $200 each. If that is the case I will have to go a different route.
They used to be fairly easy to find at some dealers - there was one guy for years selling them at Knob Creek MG shoot for $150 each all the time. Now they are where you find them. Try these guys - they are notoriously expensive people, but if they can't get them, noone else has them either.

BMGParts.com / Twin and Quad Mount Parts & Accessories

Driver523

I've been looking over my photos and as far as paint goes it looks like the artillery units had mostly OD but the trans units made them a little darker, most the trans units got away from the quads after they started building the box style gun trucks mainly I think because we could work more then one side of the road at a time---Nancy for the most part was the standard od, Bounty Hunter was darker but still the od was noticeable, when you look at Bounty Hunter turret in the bed it looks like they put boards down to level the floor---now here's one that looks black----ask all the questuions you want I just hope I can answer some-----------Driver

Attachments

Driver523

I'll finish up the rest of my quad photos in the next couple posts---the first three are a Korean quad the others are misc. quad trucks---enjoy all-------------Driver

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks