• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Political Messages on your MV

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am pondering whether or not I should place politically motivated messages (on magnetic backing of course) on the tailgate of my MV.

I want to exercise my 1st Amendment rights. However, I don't want to ruffle the feathers of the MV naysayers. I'm sure there are plenty out here in "Left-ifornia".
Or...let the world be *#mned.

Thoughts?? Do's/Don'ts??

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
I say go for it, don't mention specific messages here. And be prepared for flat tires, broken windows, scratched paint and general vandalism etc. . .

I have a couple on the back window of my M1009 :p

Ed

OldGoat

Put whatever makes you feel good, folks have their minds made up when they see this things rolling down the road anyways.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I vote no Sir.
I think we should try very hard to keep our MV/s just that and let them represent the fine American Fighting Forces that used them.

There are hundreds of other reasons I can come up with...but for now I will just offer one humble vote...no political messages on MV's...unless it just says "SUPPORT OUR TROOPS"

m109guy

We only put things about the troops on our trucks, such as the yellow ribbon, "Support our Troops", or my favorite "Please stand behind our troops...or feel free to stand in front of them".

I wouldn't put anything political on the truck. While I feel strongly on some issues, it is not worth getting our trucks vandalized or getting the hobby associated with one issue or another.

littlebob

Hard to answer question without knowing the message. If its directly trying to stir some feathers I would say not. we don't want to draw any negative attention to the hobby. I think all would be cool with the yellow ribbon magnets, the POW MIA flags stickers. support our troops and stuff in that area. If your going negative its probably not a good idea.2cents

JB

I fly a yellow Don't Tread on Me flag on one of the antenna's of my 1009 in parades. Being as it is one of the first American flags seems to make it OK.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I think Papabear and M109guy are right. Why would you want to associate the hobby with one side of the political debate? No one is going to see your bumper sticker and say "wow! I was wrong! I am definitely voting for that other dude!"

Plus.............

One day, somebody is going to be sitting in some local politician's office, asking for assistance with some legal issue (like the Wisconsin issue going on now) and as soon as that MV owner leaves the politician's office, the first thing s/he's going to say to the staff is "Find out who these (MV collectors) are-do they have money, clout, etc."

And a few days later, that aide is gonna' tell the politician "I wouldn't spend a DIME of political capital helping these people."

Because depending upon which party the politician is, the aide is either going to say "We've got his vote locked up, he's a true believer" or "Nothing we could ever do would get this guy to vote for us, so why expend any effort helping him."

Last edited:

dabtl

I haul local candidates for public office in parades just to piss off other local candidates.

It works really well. :-D

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Ert

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I think just DRIVING one is a very big statement. The ribbons are good. Personally, no political stickies for me. You may do what you like.

Jones

Just my two cents...

One of the reasons for having n MV is to put it out as close to authentic as possible. As such it's more than a truck or jeep, it's a part of a proud military heritage as well as a rolling image of MV collectors everywhere.

Whether it's a museum-grade, just-as-issued; or a field-grade, correct-right-down-to-the-dirt-and-empty-MRE-packs-on-the-floor restoration-- I'd say put on whatever you'd expect to find on an in-service rig.

Leave the "XXXXX for President in 20XX" stickers for your civvy daily driver.

Maverick1701

I have a magnet from my power company that has pretty pic of trees/landscape and says "I choose clean energy"....its on the back of my truck right now!

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for all the quick response. As it stands, I have a yellow ribbon, the US Flag and my old unit decals on my F-150. Nothing political. I think I'll keep like that on my MV.

Plus the Mayor/Councilman of my town lives across the street. Think I'd like to stay in his good graces.

Thanks to all who have replied. Others keep it coming.

Pawnshop

My answer is NO. Regardless of whether or not you support the current administration, or any administration of the past (or even the idea of administration at all), the individual SOLDIER must always be supported. I use my MVs to show my support for the TROOPS and try to keep politics out of it. I have my views on the subject, but find that keeping my mouth shut keeps my blood pressure down.

Supporting the Troops should be bi-partisan...

wsucougarx

I agree with Papabear. Put slogan or sayings of political nature on VW, Honda's etc. I have no problem there. But the image of our MV go beyond what everyone sees going down the road. These trucks represent the part of the lifeline that carried our soldiers into the field, they brought much needed supplies in/out of battlezones etc. I would hate to tarnish the image of our MV to a fellow Veteran as he passes our rigs on the road with a distasteful political saying or whatever. I believe in our Constitution and do believe in our Constitutional right to freedom of speech but we can use a different platform to show that.

Yah, we're going to have a few leftists and "Me generations" in here stating "Well, I paid for this truck and I deserve to put whatever I want on my truck". Well yes, that is the current thinking of our youth. Believe me I hear it all the time. There is an element of respect that needs to be adhered to. Unfortunately this is a falling value amongst many of those I'm around. Where did everyone's loyalty and sense of respect of other's go? When I put my uniform on for duty, I don't think about how I'm going to make myself look good in front of others. No! I think how is it am I going to carry on the value and traditions of the US Navy for those who wore this uniform before me.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks