• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Political Messages on your MV

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some people buy the trucks to maintain heritage and others as a means to an end. In this debate I'm pretty much on the fence but at the end of the day it is your truck and you are the one driving it.

Not too sure I would want anything pink or rainbow colored on the back of mine though, but a "Going Green Means We Take the Deuce" would be okay. ;-)

Reactions: Ert

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm too contrary to be a joiner. Hell, it took me 4 years to join this site after I found it, and I still don't post much. The only sticker I allow on any of my vehicles is the United States flag. That says all that needs to be said. 'Otherwise, what I think and believe is no one's business but my own (and my wife's :-D). You asked, so that's my answer.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some people buy the trucks to maintain heritage and others as a means to an end. In this debate I'm pretty much on the fence but at the end of the day it is your truck and you are the one driving it.
I'm pretty much with you on this. There are two distinct thoughts around here. One is the "leave it stock crowd". The other is the "mod the heck out of it" crowd. I like to see them both and I fit somewhere in between myself. I want my truck to "look" stock but upgrade to a dump.

Adding political stuff to your truck is no different to me than the bobbers, big tires and such. In any kind of mod you reach a point where it no longer represents the Armed Forces.

BTW, I'm far from a leftest and not in the "me" generation :wink:.

Cucvnut

I just choose to keep my political views to my self, i live in California and i am not a Republican or a Democrat but i dont need to let the world know how i feel. I don't need to associate the Mv community with politics and non MV issues.

cyberspace_7

One of the reasons for having n MV is to put it out as close to authentic as possible. As such it's more than a truck or jeep, it's a part of a proud military heritage as well as a rolling image of MV collectors everywhere.
Yes but remember a true restoration would a lot of time include a slanderous non politically correct slogan directed against the "other side". With the use of words such as (I don't agree with these words as everyday words) Jap, Guck (sp?), Chink, Whop, etc.... But many pictures of a historical and military related subject have such things. Luckily for the most part we CHOOSE to leave such things off our restorations!2cents

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great thread....:!:

While fully supporting our First Ammendment rights, we must also have the wisdom of know when to, and when not to, speak up.

CHOOSE YOUR BATTLEGROUND WISELY.
:arrow: It may dramatically effect whether your win a battle but end up losing the war:!:

My Vote: Keep politics OFF MV's for the sake of the hobby.

As an alternative...
Target your messages like PRECISION BOMBING rather than Blanket or Scorched Earth Tactics.

Thank you and good night.

[edit: spelling]

Last edited:
Reactions: 73X

TexAndy

Sorry, but I STRONGLY disagree with the people here advising against this.

If you moderate your speech solely because you're afraid that others will use the government to punish you for doing so (restrict private ownership of MVs), then you've voluntarily surrendered that right.

What good is a "right" if you can't exercise it? Use it or lose it. The actions others take after reading your message is entirely up to them. You are NOT responsible for those actions.

eta: And yeah, go ahead and lump me in the "me generation." I am absolutely and unashamedly selfish when it comes to personal liberties. ;D

Last edited:

zout

Big Round decals that say:
UNITED STATED BOARDER PATROL

and then pull into the Home D**** where they all gather in the morning and watch them scatter and beat feet - keep moving them farther to the south till they all cross over the boarder.
Its just a thought - but will leave it just woodland green - what you cannot see cannot get stolen.

nhdiesel

Great thread. While I feel very strongly about certain subjects, rocking the boat can put a cause even further behind. I strongly support free speech- and you most definitely have the RIGHT to put whatever you want on your truck- as MV owners, we are already in a hobby that puts forth a particular image. Many people look at MVs and think crazy militia. Yes, thats a wrong opinion- but with certain political messages, you can help reinforce that opinion. The same bumper sticker on a Prius might really confuse someone, and maybe get them thinking...while the sticker on an MV will do nothing but anger someone.

Location is also an issue to think about. Here in northern N.H., I could have some very right-thinking messages on my MV and get thumbs up and waves, while driving that truck to Berkely would start a battle. I won't be afraid to put stickers on my truck here. I already have some on my Jeep on the subject matter of illegal immigrants and welfare (I won't give details...) and have never had anyone tell me they were bothered, but I've had several people tell me they love the stickers and wanted to know where to get some like them.

So tough call...proudly stick by your rights and put the stickers on, and possibly harm the MV hobby at the same time; or keep the stickers off, but cave into the P.C. attitude.

Jim

cbvet

cyberspace_7
Just to help you out, it's not "gucks", it's "gooks".
As any VietNam vet will tell you.
But we used it for the Vietnamese from both sides, to keep it fair & balanced.
Have I put it on any of my trucks? No. But you've given me an idea.:evil:

cyberspace_7

cyberspace_7
Just to help you out, it's not "gucks", it's "gooks".
As any VietNam vet will tell you.
But we used it for the Vietnamese from both sides, to keep it fair & balanced.
Have I put it on any of my trucks? No. But you've given me an idea.
Thanks for the spelling check. I obviously haven't had to write that word before! :soapbox:As for you thinking of using a vintage slang term on your truck...Go for it! That's the beauty of freedom of speech! Any way it WOULD add extra detail to any truck of that era. It was there at the time! Why not now on a military show truck from that era? It's no different than the nose art everyone sees on WWII bombers toting anti German, Japanese and pro naked ladies! It's part of history. Besides there is enough historical pictures and Vet accounts that prove they were there (slang terms on trucks and many other items). We would not be able to erase that out of history just by NOT putting any of that "stuff" on our refurbished and restored vehicles. IT'S REALISM:!: Also if your a Vet I would like to say "THANK YOU"!

emr

Since u are asking I vote a BIG NO, these vehicles are a hobby, Not a political atatement, they are what is GOOD about this country and putting them into the debate of PERSONAL feelings is just wrong, period. If u or anyone does please do not associate yourself with the selfless heroic deeds of those who serve ALL presidents in ALL times good and bad, I am one of the strongest when i voice My views, BUT Never would I jeperdize what This GREAT Hobby stands for, these trucks are bigger than that, and with time I think almost all will agree with that, doing a parade or any event with a politicle statement ruins your credibility, It absolutly does. This site and ALL MV clubs do this, and we need to follow suit. DO NOT PLEASE! Ruin this for the rest of us, I say this because it will fuel the fire against our vehicles for those radicals that do not think anyone should do anything but sit home and pay tax's. ""SEE LOOK I TOLD U THEY WERE RADICALS...!!!!!!!!!!!!!...NO They are just pATRIOTIC Americans supporting the HEROS past present and Future...OUR SOLDIERS...Sorry for a strong responce, BUT this is a sticky issue that is all bad, Thanks For Asking , This is an IMPORTANT POST!!! In My view U would need to strip your vehicle of all and any markings and military influence, or U will just be confusing the public, and not getting your point across. there are better ways to say what U want...The military is absolutly prohibited from making any such statements , and we should respectfully follow the rules with these ""positive"" historic Vehicles.....Thanks Randy

Buckeye2000

First, I'm in agreement with the principles of free speech and expression. If you want to put a political message or statement on your truck, then go for it.
For me, my truck is an enjoyable hobby - one means of escape from the grind of a society that has become increasingly hyper-sensitive and politically charged. While I'll defend my rights to my last breath, it's nice to occasionally unplug and just drive my truck for fun. I enjoy it as a link to the past and a tribute to all of the good that our Armed Forces have done throughout the world. It seems that others feel that way as well - I've been stopped by people at the gas station and grocery store, people who just want to spend 5 minutes looking at an interesting truck. That's good enough for me.

HardCorps79

Since u are asking I vote a BIG NO, these vehicles are a hobby, Not a political atatement, they are what is GOOD about this country and putting them into the debate of PERSONAL feelings is just wrong, period. If u or anyone does please do not associate yourself with the selfless heroic deeds of those who serve ALL presidents in ALL times good and bad, I am one of the strongest when i voice My views, BUT Never would I jeperdize what This GREAT Hobby stands for, these trucks are bigger than that, and with time I think almost all will agree with that, doing a parade or any event with a politicle statement ruins your credibility, It absolutly does. This site and ALL MV clubs do this, and we need to follow suit. DO NOT PLEASE! Ruin this for the rest of us, I say this because it will fuel the fire against our vehicles for those radicals that do not think anyone should do anything but sit home and pay tax's. ""SEE LOOK I TOLD U THEY WERE RADICALS...!!!!!!!!!!!!!...NO They are just pATRIOTIC Americans supporting the HEROS past present and Future...OUR SOLDIERS...Sorry for a strong responce, BUT this is a sticky issue that is all bad, Thanks For Asking , This is an IMPORTANT POST!!! In My view U would need to strip your vehicle of all and any markings and military influence, or U will just be confusing the public, and not getting your point across. there are better ways to say what U want...The military is absolutly prohibited from making any such statements , and we should respectfully follow the rules with these ""positive"" historic Vehicles.....Thanks Randy
I gotta disagree. I'm currently active military and have laid my life on the line to protect our freedoms. One of the most beautiful things in my mind is seeing the diverse bumper stickers on the cars in the lot of my post on base. Active military members still retain their right to free speech, as long as we don't criticize our commander in chief or advocate the overthrow of the government, we are free to post our beliefs on our vehicles. We are even allowed to display one campaign sign in our yard to support a particular candidate (in on-base housing!) Off-base, there is no restriction on posters, signs, stickers, etc.

Our founding fathers were radicals, and I believe that many in our modern government are radicals of a different persuasion. I don't think our vehicles should display partisan political statements when used for troop supporting parades and events, but if it's your daily driver or work truck, do what you please to speak your voice.

I kind of found it offensive that the DHS classified me as a potential terrorist when I got back from almost dying for my country. So out of spite, I think I'm going to add a Gadsden flag, third party candidate sticker, and NRA decal. I swore to defend the constitution against...[fill in the blank], so I may as well exercise my rights. And if you disagree with me, well, I fought for your right to that opinion as well. So you should express THAT too!

We only keep the freedoms we're willing to fight for.
Freedoms unused, are freedoms lost.

Semper Fi.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks