• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stopping Distance

frodobaggins

I know this has been covered before, but with safety, it does not matter.

I went to the landfill Saturday to drop off/pick up some junk, and I was following a guy in a pickup. All of a sudden, he just slams on his brakes, then turns left, no blinkers, no warning. I thought I had enough stopping distance between us, and I did. I stopped about 5 feet from him. However I would have liked more margin for error.

Just remember if you are in a bigger truck, Deuce, 5T etc, put a little extra distance between you and the person in front, and be alert !

(Also, check your brakes slackers !)

Kevin

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
All of a sudden, he just slams on his brakes, then turns left, no blinkers, no warning.
You can have top notch equipment and be doing everything right and some knuckle dragging, mouth breather can screw up your whole day.
You can't fix stupid.

That's why they put loud air horns on deuces......I would have let him know the error of his ways.

frodobaggins

You can have top notch equipment and be doing everything right and some knuckle dragging, mouth breather can screw up your whole day.
You can't fix stupid.

That's why they put loud air horns on deuces......I would have let him know the error of his ways.
I would have, but I was too busy pulling canvas out of my ass.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with WM, you can't fix stupid!!!

But the way some people are today, he may have been looking for a payday...in the eyes of the law, no matter how stupid he is, when you hit someone in the a$$ end, you didn't have control of your vehicle therefore it's your fault.

Keep that in mind people when driving a 40 year old truck that weighs as much as a small house....check you breaks and leave plenty of room. Thanks for sharing frodo.

rideni

At work we are suppose to follow the smith driving principles, one of which is to leave 4 seconds minimum of following distance, in the deuce I like to escalate that to 6 seconds in perfect conditions and more in less then perfect conditions Allows you to maintain better vehicle control, to observe the bigger picture and make decisions further ahead of time.

goldneagle

You can't fix stupid.

What is it with SOUTHERNERS and turn signals? I have never seen so many idiots that don't use their turn signals. Maybe they are using their left hand to j_____?!

I know how you feel Frodo, I have been tempted several times to just run the bastard over!

OK I'm done venting!:rant:

frodobaggins

What is it with SOUTHERNERS and turn signals? I have never seen so many idiots that don't use their turn signals. Maybe they are using their left hand to j_____?!

I know how you feel Frodo, I have been tempted several times to just run the bastard over!

OK I'm done venting!:rant:
I don't know GE, but rant on brother, and in that big mother, maybe you should follow the 15 second rule !

goldneagle

At work we are suppose to follow the smith driving principles, one of which is to leave 4 seconds minimum of following distance, in the deuce I like to escalate that to 6 seconds in perfect conditions and more in less then perfect conditions Allows you to maintain better vehicle control, to observe the bigger picture and make decisions further ahead of time.
Where have you been driving? When i leave extra room for stopping in front of me some yahoo always cut in and fills in the space! Now i have to back down to get more stopping room and another yahoo cuts in and takes up the space on and on it goes!!!

rideni

I drive the I-95 corridor from Baltimore to Philly almost everyday with occasional trips out to Jersey or down to DC. I can easily maintain safe following distances in some of the worst driving in the world. Well also its time of day I try to make my windshield time happen when there is less traffic on the road and or I take alternative roots for a safer arrival

jimmcld

There are as many idiots who misuse their turn signals as there are ones that don't use them. How about the guy who has had his signal on for the last twenty miles? Or, the one who lets it blink twice after he has already pulled half way into the next lane?

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
frodobaggins said:
Yeah, I've met some people like that. But how stupid do you gotta be to let a giant military truck hit you ? More likely his family would get a payday, because he would be dead

Sad but true, he probably would be...but then again, people that stupid don't think that far ahead!

goldneagle said:

Don't think the south has a monopoly in those kind of idiots...I've never seen so many morons on the road until I moved to Ohio....I thought at first, all the cars sold out here must have the turn signals as an option that nobody wanted to pay for when they bought the car. And don't even get me started about the way they act when the snow flies!!!

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
ge, wait to you go from 5th to 3rd and stand on the brakes (at this point,who cares about over tack) at 60 mph, the little SOB pulled dead out in front of the 819 going to the 07 ga. rally, by the time the 819 got slowed down, i could just see the back window, i just knew thak that little blue car was going to be a speed bump :evil:

goldneagle

ge, wait to you go from 5th to 3rd and stand on the brakes (at this point,who cares about over tack) at 60 mph, the little sob pulled dead out in front of the 819 going to the 07 ga. Rally, by the time the 819 got slowed down, i could just see the back window, i just knew thak that little blue car was going to be a speed bump :evil:
got any pictures?

GoHot229

I agree with WM, you can't fix stupid!!!

But the way some people are today, he may have been looking for a payday...in the eyes of the law, no matter how stupid he is, when you hit someone in the a$$ end, you didn't have control of your vehicle therefore it's your fault.

Keep that in mind people when driving a 40 year old truck that weighs as much as a small house....check you breaks and leave plenty of room. Thanks for sharing frodo.
I'v often thought about the consequece of a Dolt behind the wheel and the damage I could cause to everything but the gene pool, and have been toying with the idea of relocating the carrier and spare under the front, just as close to and under the winch of my Deuce as I could to still maintain ground clearance. Sort of a rubber baby bugy bumper as it were, so that The errant driver might not get squeezed like a tube of toothpaste. Kind of makes you wish you had the Air Raid Sirren posted elsewere in the forum as a device to wake up the nosepicker.

SterlingDevelop

A friend emailed this to me today.

A reminder that just a moment of inattention can kill.
Regardless of what we feel about the morons that cut us off, weave in and out, tailgate, etc., I don't think any of us can honestly wish this on anyone. This lesson is final.

Supposedly this was a SmartCar that was rear ended by the truck behind it, because he looked away for a second or two.

Brake PM is good, but worthless when they are not used.

Attachments

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
This is why I will not drive anything smaller than a compact pick up truck.

I try to avoid the clueless idiots of the world but I will not put my life in danger to protect the terminally stupid.

If you run off the road to miss some gonzo he is probably not got to stop and see if you are OK....I've seen it too many times when I was an over the road trucker.

If the sound of the air horns don't get their attention the bumper coming through the rear window will.

Contrary to popular belief you are not automatically at fault if you rear end some ditz......if they pull right out in front of you and you have no recourse (and a good witness) they can be charged with the accident.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You should try driving in the Los Angeles area. If you have more than 1/2 second distance between you and the guy in front of you, a Smart Car or Prius will jump in and slam on his brakes....guaranteed. If you slow it down, then they are practically riding in your bed.

Try installing a railroad locomotive airhorn...Nathan AirChime K-5 comes to mind...see http://www.hornblasters.com/products/category.php?c=train-horns-and-air-horns

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks