• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

truck end of the trailer brake glad hands-standar or special?

res0wc18

so on the truck side of the trailer brake glad hands are they a special thing or just regular old glad hand receptacles? I see they have pipe thread that goes into a through frame fitting and has a shut off valve, so it looks like i only need the glad hand part

Last edited:

kc5mzd

They are standard. Any truck stop should have them. They also have the rubber gaskets that go in the glad hands.

DeuceNewbie

Ok this is really prob a bad question but i have no experience with these types of brake and air connections. i have just recently purchashed a deuce that i plan to pick up within the next two weeks...it is supposed to start but may have low tires.

is there on of these lines i can use to air up the tires? what sort of connections do i need to buy? do they sell an air hose connection that will directly plug into the glad hands?

any help would be much apprectiated...

thanks!

res0wc18

so i have a yellow and red glad hand. But the way i have been tinkering with it, is there not air in the lines only when you step on the brakes?

shepsjeep

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A tip: a truck driver friend of mine told me that if you get the neoprene gaskets for the glad hands they won't dry out as fast as the rubber ones. They also make a better seal.

res0wc18

my red valve is on the drivers side of the truck, yellow on opposite. My lines were simply cut off when it was bobbed and i only have air coming out of the drivers side truck line when the brakes are pressed?

Peepaw

Ok this is really prob a bad question but i have no experience with these types of brake and air connections. i have just recently purchashed a deuce that i plan to pick up within the next two weeks...it is supposed to start but may have low tires.

is there on of these lines i can use to air up the tires? what sort of connections do i need to buy? do they sell an air hose connection that will directly plug into the glad hands?

thanks!

Most any truck stop will have the air up kit with hose long enough to reach any of the Deuce tires easily. You could also make one up yourself.

rmgill

my red valve is on the drivers side of the truck, yellow on opposite. My lines were simply cut off when it was bobbed and i only have air coming out of the drivers side truck line when the brakes are pressed?
Correct. The Driver side, Red ie Service proviceds baking signal actuation to the trailers. Tells the trailer brakes when to apply and controls them.

The Passenger side, the Emergency side, provides constant air to provide air to the trailer for it's emergency brake system (if present). That is to say, it's a supply of air on the trailer that acuates the brakes if the trailer becomes uncoupled from the truck and looses pressures. There's a switch in the trailer system that'll close the brakes on the trailer if it looses supply air pressure on the emergency system.

Hooking them up crosswise on a dual line trailer will put pressure on the trailer brakes when the truck builds pressure and lock the brakes.

dittle

If you have the red connector on the "Service" side that is incorrect (per the standard). Red is "EMERGENCY" always and the yellow (or blue) is for "SERVICE". Now for you're own private truck that may be fine, but if you have to get the thing inspected by the DOT you will get smacked as it is incorrect.

res0wc18

can some one clarify what color is suppose to be on the drivers side for certain, photos tms etc.

Why don't i have air rushing out of my passenger side line that was simply cut off then?

res0wc18

so yellow/blue is the service which is on the drivers side, which has air only going to it when you step on the brakes, red or emergency is the passenger side or constant air side that always has air going to it?

Is there a valve or shutoff somewhere on the red(passenger side) of the system? What about the drivers side? im gettting no air out of the passenger side.

rmgill

There is a valve. But that's usually back on the very back of the truck just before the glad hand. Follow the line back to the tank. It should run directly into the tank.

res0wc18

my lines are cut off way before it gets to those valves on the frame end. My lines are the copper 3./8 size that are literally just hacked off, but i only have air coming out one side.

for those valves on the frame end, those are all regular pipe thread right?

Last edited:

roscoe

thanks
Mine have an air coupler in the cab on the passenger side. The fittiings may be capped or have a different kind of connector. A 1/4" npt screws right on though. Not quite as much air pressure as the rear glad hands. Enough to inflate the tires though.

ida34

Did you turn the valve on the passenger side, or is there a valve? If there is no valve and no air then it is disconnected. The passenger's side should be red and should supply air when ever the cut off valve is open. The driver's side should be yellow or the newer excepted color of blue. When the valve is open you should only get air when the brakes are activated. This all assumes the tanks on the truck are pressurized by the trucks compressor. No air in the tanks means no air at any of the connections.