• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

truck end of the trailer brake glad hands-standar or special?

res0wc18

Mine have an air coupler in the cab on the passenger side. The fittiings may be capped or have a different kind of connector. A 1/4" npt screws right on though. Not quite as much air pressure as the rear glad hands. Enough to inflate the tires though.
i think that all the a2 model deuces and later have that there don't they?

Does anyone know what the flow and pressure is out of that valve in the cab? Is it safe to run a quick connect air hookup there for tire inflation etc?

roscoe

i think that all the a2 model deuces and later have that there don't they?

Does anyone know what the flow and pressure is out of that valve in the cab? Is it safe to run a quick connect air hookup there for tire inflation etc?

My 3 do. I don't know if its on every a2 or not. I have filled tires with that connection also. Not quite as much air as the rear connection.

ida34

Now is the time to pull out the manual if you need to trace the line. The -20 has a diagram of the routing of the lines in the brake trouble shooting part of section 2.

Again, there is supposed to be a valve on the end of the line before the glad hand. You said the end is broken off but is the valve broken off or still there? If the valve is off you will not get air.

The manual may be of limited help as I think you said it was a bobbed truck. Even without the manual this is pretty simple to figure out. If the valve is gone and you still have no air trace the line back to the source. You will either find a kink in the line, or find a place where the line is disconnected and capped. IIRC the line just attaches to the tanks.

Jake0147

No gladhand is universal. Unless it IS a universal gladhand.

Reds will hook only to reds.

Blues(yellow) will hook only to blues(yellow).

Universals will hook to any.......red....blue.....universal.

I don't want to disagree with this exactly... It should be 100 percent correct. On a lot of compliant (SAE J318 ) connectors where a ton of money has been saved by reducing the amount of metal that is included, the "interference fit" between the pin and the ear has been so badly reduced that the connectors can inadvertently be used interchangeably, with blue hands painted red, red hands painted blue, and nobody knows the difference except that it takes an alarmingly little extra "push" to get them together.
I've also seen (at our local Napa who just closed...) glad hands for sale that made no mention of being SAE compliant, that were 100 percent without a doubt universal style connectors, the difference being that the gold annodized clip was painted over (very poorly) with yellow or red paint.

Crappy off shore production with poor fit, finish, and performance is nothing new. The one and only reason I bring this issue up: The TMs call out the same part number for the service line and emergency line glad hand. If they are original to your deuce, they are universal.

Here is the pin in red, the ear in black, and the universal coupler lacking either.

Attachments

Last edited:

Jake0147

Mine have an air coupler in the cab on the passenger side. The fittiings may be capped or have a different kind of connector. A 1/4" npt screws right on though. Not quite as much air pressure as the rear glad hands. Enough to inflate the tires though.
Just as much pressure, but not as much volume due to a smaller line size. Still probably less restrictive than the schrader valve in your tire. A standard air line coupler can be installed here. It should be the "coupler" and not the "nipple" so it works with your regular air hose. Due to the likelyhood of one or more valves being stuck, I might bring a glad hand as well. They are usually available for under ten bucks, you MAY have a hard time finding one with quarter inch threads, which means you MAY need a half to quarter reducing bushing to get your airline coupler attached to it. With that preparation, you could use any of the three air sources to inflate the tires. The fitting in the cab or the emergency line can be used very easily, or in a pinch (I'd save it for last...), if someone held the brake pedal down firmly, you would then have air available at the service line as well. That would (I believe) be much slower, but could at least get the rim off of the ground to get you to better facilities.

res0wc18

so i got mine that are Philips made in usa, so they seem quality. Were i do have a problem is that my trailers is getting air etc etc but i have no brakes! Does anyone have the tm in downloaded format for m105 brakes?

I cant figure out why my brakes arent working on the trailer, some have posted about the relay valve thingy?

Any have a napa part number etc for that?

Troubleshooting the brakes?

Coldfusion21

do you have a service and emergency connection? You asked a lot of questions that lead me to believe you only are getting service (IE when the brakes in the cab are applied).

I am ASSuming you need both connections on your trailer.

KaiserM109

… Mine have an air coupler in the cab on the passenger side. The fittiings may be capped or have a different kind of connector. A 1/4" npt screws right on though. Not quite as much air pressure as the rear glad hands. Enough to inflate the tires though.
This is what I have done. It does take a while to air up tires and you have to keep your engine running the whole time. I recently aired 2 tires on a trailer and my front deuce tires. I was dang tired of bending over before I was done!

res0wc18

do you have a service and emergency connection? You asked a lot of questions that lead me to believe you only are getting service (IE when the brakes in the cab are applied).

I am ASSuming you need both connections on your trailer.
yes i fixed both ran new copper lines and all they both now work and function. Blue gets air when brakes are hit and red has air coming all the time.... should the air coming out of the red line be a little to mild psshhh sound or should it be just gushing out of there?

I lifted the trailer off the ground with the excavator and spun the wheels really fast then hit the brakes and nothing happened. So my brakes are not working on the trailer.

Another weird thing is that when everything is hooked up and i open the drain on the trailer air tank hardly any volume/ pressure of air comes out?

rmgill

Get the M105 TM and run through the troubleshooting section. I think there's a valve system there that could have seized.

Last edited:

rmgill

Ahh. Still sort of new eh? Look at the top of the page, on the menu bar. See the "User CP" and other items across the top? Look for the resources link, the drop down has Technical Articles, Technical Manuals and other resources. The Technical Manuals link has the various TMs available for download. I'm pretty sure the M105 trailer's TMs are there. The trailer TM's tend to be an inclusive manual for both operator use and unit and higher level maintanance/repair manuals.

fasttruck

2.5 and 5t trucks botrh have a threaded air connection with shut off valve on the cab interior side of the firewall for an accessory airhose issued with the bili. Then they got smart and issued an inflator line with a glad hand on it which is a lot easier to attach to the truck. Trailer air lines always cross over; i.e. The hose on the left side of the trailer hooks up to the right side of the truck even if they are not color coded. Some trailers have one (service) and others have two (service & emergency), emergency line charges the air tank on the trailer and causes the brakes to apply via the relay valve in a low air situation. The service line follows the applicator valve on the power unit and applies the brake through the relay valve. If the lines are not hooked up correctly and both valves opened the brakes will not work properly, if the valves are left open when the trailer is uncoupled the power unit will not build air pressure and its brakes will not work.

res0wc18

right but what i am saying is it seems like my constant air line(red) is not putting out the volume or pressure i would suspect for coming off the air tanks etc because when i open up the in cab valve a crap load of air comes rushing out so i would suspect a similar amount coming out of the red rear line, but its not even close? Is there a valve some where on the red line besides at the glad hand?

DeuceNewbie

ok so i know we have been over this a million times but i want to clarify something.

I went to a well known truck parts house today and told them i either needed an emergency or universal glad hand so that i could hook up to the emergency side and air up my tires when i go to pick up the truck.

i was given a blue gland hand that says service on it. i said no i need one that connects to the emergency side.....he stated that the service (blue) will connect to the emergency side but that the emergency side (red) will not connect to the service side.

so.......what gives? is this true? anyone know for a fact because rather than debate the fact with a man who has been in this industry many years i just bought it and left.

KaiserM109

Not to beat a dying horse to death, but I was at the storage yard where my equipment is kept today for the first time in several weeks and I looked at the glad hands on my ’66 M109A3, my ’86 M105, my ’96 MKT-85 (M103 frame) and my M105 that was rebuilt in 2006 with new hoses and new glad hands.

They are ALL “Universal” types.

Attached are the following pictures:
1) The hoses hooked together on the ’86 M105,
2) The hoses hooked together on my 2006 rebuilt M105,
3) The hoses hooked together on the ’96 MKT-85
4) The SERVICE line of the ’86 M105 hooked to the EMERGENCY line of the ’66 deuce. Sorry about the quality of the last picture.

I have a couple of hoses I bought from an SS member that were supposed to be for an M105, but turned out to be 12” too short. They also are the “Universal” type.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks