• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Run do NOT walk!!

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This was while we were getting ours ready for the road at Fort Sam:

This guy jumps in his deuce, fires it up, and heads to his trailer...

I knew the deuces could do just about anything, but...

Yes he got it all set up...

It was being pulled by a 3/4 ton dodge...

Was he gonna do it? YES

Did he try it???? NO, GL came to the rescue at the last second...they said just bring it up the hill and we'll FORKLIFT it for ya!!

Attachments

1qwkgoat

I'm sure those wet tires would have gotten some great traction on that slick trailer. Although after some of the stories I've heard of the "skilled" forklift drivers GL has. His way might have been better

Last edited:

gunboy1656

Wonder how much is left of the guys drivers seat the first time he tried to stop on the road?

If I was the guys a GL, I would have let him try loading it himself, once. then told him we will lift it once we are done laughing.

Stalwart

Gosh, I thought is was kinda silly pulling my 5 ton on a trailer behind my F450. I needed to engage 8x8 to get up my steel dove tail though . . .

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wonder how much is left of the guys drivers seat the first time he tried to stop on the road?

If I was the guys a GL, I would have let him try loading it himself, once. then told him we will lift it once we are done laughing.
We were cringing just at the thought of it but were making a mad dash for the video camera just in case. :p Where's the popcorn!!!

He said that he had done this 6 times before. I asked him where he was going and he said around Alexandria LA. That's like a 500 mile trip!! While talking to him, it did not sound as if he had 2 bolts loose 'up top'.........

1qwkgoat

Gotta give him a point for injunity(sp?). If he had been told there WAS a loading ramp and came with those out of what he happened to find laying around. Which isn't the case here though.

You guys all know what ramps he used to unload it with at home don't you?

bryan70546

We were cringing just at the thought of it but were making a mad dash for the video camera just in case. :p Where's the popcorn!!!

He said that he had done this 6 times before. I asked him where he was going and he said around Alexandria LA. That's like a 500 mile trip!! While talking to him, it did not sound as if he had 2 bolts loose 'up top'.........
OK Jordan , I have been offshore waiting for the pics to show up of YOUR DEUCE and YOUR CUCV and all I get is this crap :p

TaylorTradingCo

forklifts

I think I would rather try driving it up on the trailer with no ramps at all than have the dreaded forklift pick it up.

I have had damaged driveshafts, fuel tanks, steps, fenders, bumpers, tailgates, mirrors, exhaust stacks and even had one they broke the transfer case mounts on handling them with forklifts.

While I push the limits of safety often myself, I don't think this is such a big deal. The main thing is keeping the truck from being pushed out from under it when you try to climb it. These trucks are four wheel drive you know.

Have you seen the videos on youtube of guys self loading bobcats onto flatbed trucks and trackhoes onto flatbed trailers? It is pretty incredible what some equipment can do.

One thing I can't tell from the picture that does concern me though, is it looks like those are single tire axles on that trailer. If so, it is seriously undersized.

As far as the 3/4 ton truck goes, I don't know. I just gave up using my F350 dually in favor of an International, but I have brought home around 20 Deuces with 3500 series duallies on my triple single gooseneck and pintle trailers.

Captain hauled a Deuce I sold from Chattanooga to Houston on a 40' gooseneck with a regular Dodge truck! He too has now gne the way of the more commercial vehicle.

Scary things can be done, but if you do them often enough, something scary will eventually happen.

Derek Taylor

fireman9

Why bother with the ramps. Once the front end of the Deuce hits the tail of that trailer it's gonna pick up the back end of the Dodge. I hope to hell that I don't end up in front of him going down hill or at a stop light. A 3/4 ton Dodge no doubt it can pull the Duece while on the trailer BUT he better re-think :idea: the stopping power of a 14,000 plus pound load.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks