• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Run do NOT walk!!

Snarky

It would have made it without the wood easy. Put the wood in front of the trailer tires to keep it from moving. The back axles will push the front axle into the trailer, and the front axle will walk it's way up the ramp, the rest is easy. As long as your front bumper clears you're golden, I traversed a 1' or so vertical wall yesterday, it's easy if you just go slow and ease your way into it, shouldn't even need low range to drag you up.

poppop

The funny thing is I got admonished for putting a Duece to far forward on my 37 foot 10 ton gooseneck and putting to much weight on my 98 one ton dually crew cab 4 x 4 chevy pick-up. I don't hold a candle to this guy.:p:p

Gastrap

Works fine as long as the ass end of the truck stays on the ground. I would block under the tail for sure.

When we get new John Deere combines in at the dealership we just put the wheels on & drive 'em right off the side of the lowboy trailers most of the time. Looks spooky as hell, but it's quicker than dropping the trailer. Truck drivers decision, not mine :roll:

reloader64

Pulling the trailer with the modern diesels is no problem. The secret is to have good trailer brakes. I pulled my deuce from Norman, OK to Liberty Hill (outside of Austin) TX on an equipment delivery trailer. Rated for 17,000 lbs. load, gooseneck, tilt bed. Drove the deuce on, chained it very securely, started the 2003 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel, and drove home carefully. I don't know what the tongue weight was, but the Chevy is rated for about 2,500 lbs. It was pretty level. Hit Ft. Worth about 5:30 p.m., but traffic wasn't too bad. I just paid attention, and gave myself room to stop.

greenjeepster

I have seen a few leave on goosenecks pulled by 3/4 or 1 tons. I would do it as long as the trailer had brakes. The main problem I see is when DOT pulls in behind him and checks for a CDL because he is hauling over 10 K trailer weight.:wink:

BugEyeBear

I have seen a few leave on goosenecks pulled by 3/4 or 1 tons. I would do it as long as the trailer had brakes. The main problem I see is when DOT pulls in behind him and checks for a CDL because he is hauling over 10 K trailer weight.:wink:
I'd be willing to bet that this has been a driver's response on more than one occasion...
"But Officer, it doesn't weigh over 10K. The truck only weighs 2.5 tons! That's what it is called!!"

"DOH!!" :doh:

Keith_J

rofl

Yeah, and Texas DPS does NOT play around either! Dont ask how I know that...:oops:
The ONLY ones who get away with it are farmers with crops in tow. Because I have done it :wink:. But not animals. Harvest equipment, cotton presses and the like also get a break, as long as it has ag tags.

Westex

I've got a pretty big Dodge Dually one ton and I gave thougt to recovering my deuce from Ft. Sam. For about one second. It's not the get up and go, so much as it is the stopping issue. Every time.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
While I haven't hauled a deuce with my 3/4 ton Dodge I have hauled a 14,000lb manlift with it. While I wouldn't want to go across the country with this kind of weight I handled and stopped fine. I think the deuce would have loaded on that trailer fine also if it was scotched so it didn't shoot out from under it. We used to load dozers on lowboys all the time like this but you have to be carefull or you could end up like this.

Attachments

Mark2X2

This was while we were getting ours ready for the road at Fort Sam:

This guy jumps in his deuce, fires it up, and heads to his trailer...

I knew the deuces could do just about anything, but...

Yes he got it all set up...

It was being pulled by a 3/4 ton dodge...

Was he gonna do it? YES

Did he try it???? NO, GL came to the rescue at the last second...they said just bring it up the hill and we'll FORKLIFT it for ya!!
This set up reminds me of the pictures of the guy that flipped the dozer off the back of a trailer. The one where it flattened his melon out to a 2D picture instead of a 3D. Not that a Deuce would flip over backwards, but other bad things.
Mark