• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I'm an idiot and fried part of my fuse box.

devousivac

I was in the middle of nowhere in Chippewa National Forest miles off some Forest Service road when the bearings in one of my alternators went - went to the point where the alternator totally seized.

OK. Bad but I was prepared. I had an extra alternator in the back, so I stopped and swapped alternators. Of course, I'm kinda nervous as I'm really miles away from anyone, so if I screwed it up, it'd be a few days hike out to civilization.

The nervousness encouraged me to screw it up apparently and I forgot to disconnect the battery cables before swapping the alternator. The wrench got wedged between the alternator and the engine and a few sizzles later the alternator is kinda toast. Then I noticed that the fuse box was a bit melted. The fuse socket to the headlights and turn signals was kinda melted but with a new fuse it is still working. However, the brake lights are completely out. The brake light fuse socket was fried and with a new fuse I get nothing - my voltometer reads nothing in that socket either.

Does anyone have a suggestion I could put into effect tonight so that I can get some brake lights before going to work tomorrow? Anyone have suggestions for fixing the problems my idiocy caused? Any idea how expensive it would be to have an auto electrician rewire the vehicle?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Call your insurance company and make a comprehensive claim?:cry:

devousivac

I'd hate for that to happen.... so its toast even though only the brake lights are not working? Everything else seems fine (besides the melty parts on the fuse box, of course.)

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would disconnect the batteries and repair the damage before using it again.(new harness and fuse panel) You have no idea what total damage is done, and you could have another major short or fire, as it sits now.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, it may not have very much non-visible damage but, I would get a good look at it before putting any trust in it. I have seen vehicles smoke, burst into flames and be ashes in just minutes! Better to error on the side of caution here, I think.

It's not that hard to loosen the fuse panel and look behind it and look over the wiring close. Any wiggly wires need to be replaced.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, like they been hot and they are wiggly looking, wrinkly? The insulation will not be smooth anymore. Like they have been hotter than the hubs of hell..... Go stick a 2' piece of 16ga stranded copper wire across your battery terminals, and you'll see what I mean... (just kidding, DO NOT DO THAT):wink:

jw4x4

Hey -- I tried it. But I didn't have any 16 ga so I used 12 instead. Now I know how a toaster element works!!!!!! (just kidding).

AndrewH

I thought toasters only worked right with a fork stuck in them. This explains a lot. I have smoke tested the wiring harness on my jeep doing some dumb things and have found bare wires months later under the loom. I only use it to plow and would not really want to go far without REALLY inspecting the wiring harness. It may not be just the wires in the charging circut damaged. Those ones get hot and melt the wires next to them in the harness. I.m gunna have to vote for the harness replacement if this is your daily driver.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, it would be really costly for a auto mechanic to fix that. But if you can get along with a temp fix till you can find the parts, or a partial wiring harness, do it. You might want to put a temporary fusible link between power sourfes and the rest of the vehicle to forestall a fire in the wire loom, in case you have really damaged some wires. If the fusebox has been toasted, do not put faith in any wire loom between it and the power sources. I have seen cases where a person cut and replaced every wire between one place and another, to fix something like that. Solder them! big job, save $$.

devousivac

Thanks

Thanks guys.
It sounds to me like I basically ruined the vehicle as it is my daily driver. That really sucks. I just got this thing as a few months ago and have put a pretty penny into it.... and then killed it. Anyone in MN need one for parts??

Sephirothq

don't get so down yet. I have replaced the harness in a cucv already (not my fault) It's not that bad of a job. It is just a matter of getting the parts which should be too bad from a junkyard. I would not scrap a goodn engine. trans, transfer case, rear, and body because of a harness.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't part the truck just because of a harness and fuse block. Find a used one and change it. Someone here has to be parting a CUCV. It's simple to do just takes time to disconnect and reconnect everything.

acmunro

I repaired a CUCV this summer that had been on fire when it was in the military. I just removed the bad sections of the harness, soldiered in new wires and shrink wraped them. It works great now. Didn't cost a lot just took time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks