• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV vs excursion, F350, or other pick up for bug out and snow vehicle.

alfred10

I am considering a CUCV as a bug out vehicle and a vehicle to drive in the snow.
Why is the top speed only 55 and why is the horse power so low for such a large engin? I drive roads that are typically 45 and 55 mph but sometimes its a 65. I doubt I would be going that fast in the snow. What will the CUCV do better than an F250 or K30? How many miles per gallon do they get just out of curiosity?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Think back to 1984. Ford's naturally aspirated 6.9 diesel was a gutless wonder too. The 6.2 was as good as it got back then. Our military just happend to keep the trucks while the rest of us sent most of the 1980's trucks to the scrapper long ago.

4bogginchevys

Indirect injection is the reason for such low power in the 6.2 and ford motor

The 6.2 CUCV setup is made to run...not alot of turn on/off like a newer vehicle that you get groceries with. Thier great trucks and I would recommend buying one for the parts value alone if 50/55 doesn't bother you.:p

niferous

I am considering a CUCV as a bug out vehicle and a vehicle to drive in the snow.
Why is the top speed only 55 and why is the horse power so low for such a large engin? I drive roads that are typically 45 and 55 mph but sometimes its a 65. I doubt I would be going that fast in the snow. What will the CUCV do better than an F250 or K30? How many miles per gallon do they get just out of curiosity?
Well if you are looking for a BOV naturally you would want to stay away from a modern vehicle because of all the electronics. While the jury is still out concerning an EMP's effect on vehicles one thing is for sure and that is the less electronics the better.

Crash_AF

Why is the top speed only 55 and why is the horse power so low for such a large engine?
In the pickup, it is because the gearing is so low without an overdrive. I have routinely run my 1009 at 70-80 with no problems other than lower fuel mileage.
Because it is normally aspirated and designed for fuel mileage, not power.
I drive roads that are typically 45 and 55 mph but sometimes its a 65. I doubt I would be going that fast in the snow. What will the CUCV do better than an F250 or K30?
Nothing. It is a 1980s Chevy truck, it doesn't have the creature comforts that a more modern vehicle has, it doesn't have the power that a newer vehicle has, and it is a 25ish year old truck so it will have its quirks and problems that all 20+ year old vehicles will have.

How many miles per gallon do they get just out of curiosity?
Mileage is subjective depending on use. I get about 18-20MPG if I am cruising around town at 50-55 or less... I get 15MPG if I am highway driving at 70+. This is in my 1009 Blazer. A 1008 truck will get less because of the gearing.

The base answer to your question is: What do you want the truck for? For putting around in the snow? For a BOV? For daily use? It has its strengths and weaknesses like any other vehicle, but for my use as a different looking, semi-fuel efficient full size SUV with low insurance rates it makes up for its shortcomings to me.

Later,
Joe

alfred10

Whats the top speed on the 1009 Blazer? How does it differ from the truck? Are these less likly to fail in the woods than a newer vehicle?

papercu

If top speed is important find a civilian model, while the M1009 may run 70 mph there no insulation to deaden the noise.
For all the information on the two (M1009, M1008 and the others) check the top of the page, click "Resources" then "TM" and look for TM 9-2320-289-10 right click on that, then select "Save to computer" or whatever your browser call it.
As for "Are these less likly to fail in the woods than a newer vehicle?" You are kidding, right?
For myself, I could take either one to the woods and they would fail but I'm just real lucky that way. :) Wayne

Last edited:

b4thundr

If your looking for a vehicle that is gonna be good in the snow I would look at the m 1031 they have a locker in the rear and limited slip up front true 4WD the box on the back though makes it hard to see backing up I guess put a reg pickup box on it and sell me the other contact box with all the stuff in it:-D and you'll be golden!!

stampy

About failure rate I would say it depends... Maintain a low mileage vehicle well and don't drive stupid and you may not have any problems. It seems to me the less electronic crap you have to deal with the better but thats my 2cents.

MARCO1031

SuperJoe - A Bug Out Vehicle or BOV is a vehicle that has primarily been set up as a survival vehicle should the sh#t hit the fan...otherwise known as SHTF. The idea is that you have your survival necessities, spare parts, and fuel on board so when SHTF you can get somewhere safer than where you are in a hurry. The most desired vehicles are older non electronic 4x4s. The idea is that they can go where you want. They are easy to find parts for and they can most likely survive and continue to operate in the event of an EMP. Electro-Magnetic Pulse can take out the electronics on modern vehicles. As b4thundr pointed out the 1031 is a good choice. It has all of the 4x4 goodies I need, no electronics, with the exception of the alts and GP control, and it has lots and lots of storage space. Should work well if the SHTF!

acesneights1

A CUCV will take a pretty good beating if you ask me. I got a 100 ngal fuel tank in mine. It will get me pretty far. remember aside from legalities , which in a Bug ouot sit are meaningless, these trucks can run on kerosene, heating oil, vegatable oil as well as diesel. Some have even mixed in used motor oil although I would NOT personally recommend that.

Last edited:

acesneights1

nuclear blast. Anything mechanically injected with either manual or non electronically controlled Auto's should not be affected although as previously stated no one really knows for sure the effect of EMP on elect veh's.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks