• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV vs excursion, F350, or other pick up for bug out and snow vehicle.

acesneights1

ESO is basically an electro magnet, not a silicone chip etc. I don't think it would be affected by EMP other than momentarily AFAIK. I believe the CUCV's are suppoed to be EMP proof. It's the same setup as a Humvee and those are no ?? Not sure on this. I could see the EMP disruting the ESO momentarily but it shouldn't fry it per say.

Last edited:

Sephirothq

an emp might still cause the truck to shutoff. not sure. i know a deuce won'[t care one way or the other. not sure about the 809 series trucks either.

MARCO1031

An EMP could be caused by a low or high altitude nuclear detonation. I read a book recently called "One Second After" that describes the effects of a fictitious detonation of a sea launched nuclear warhead at high altitude over the US. The story is fiction but based on real research. It is a real eye opener. So much of what we depend on could be rendered useless if what the author says is true. If you are really interested check out the book or do a search on EMP here on the site. There are a number of threads that discuss the topic.

DieselBob

Sephirothq, I was thinking along the same lines. A true B.O.V., should not require any secondary source of power to run. Even something as simple as voltage to a solenoid that controls the fuel. You would really want a manual transmission because you would be S.O.L., if the starter bendix takes a dump and you are sitting there with a automatic.

MARCO1031

From what I have read an EMP is most likely to cause electronic circuits to fail. An electronic circuit is usually one that has some kind of integrated circuit that operates at a very low voltage. Sephirothq is right that the deuce doesn't have any electronics and it should continue to run. What I don't know about is the charging system on the deuce. I would think that it would be heavy duty enough to survive. I know on the CUCV that the glow plug controller has an integrated circuit and it would likely fail. It is also possible that the voltage regulators in the alternators would fail as well. As for the fuel solenoid shutting off I'm not so sure. From what I can see in the wiring diagrams there are no electronics in the circuit that control the solenoid. For that matter I think the solenoid gets its power directly from the battery through the ignition switch. If that is the case the only way the fuel shutoff valve would close would be if the pulse was so strong that it fried the battery. In that case the deuce would be vulnerable as well since you wouldn't be able to start it of the batteries were gone. One big advantage the deuce would have is that it could be pushed or rolled down a hill to get it started. Can't do that with a CUCV.

acesneights1

a CUCV , unlke it's civvy counterparts can start without glws due to the 24v starter. Takes a bit but it will. although I would not use it in any other circumstance ether could start it as well as the fact that my CUCV is getting a manual override anyway for the glows.

MARCO1031

The fact that the CUCV is an auto trans was one of the negatives when I was looking for a truck. Unfortunately I can't have a deuce where I live so I had to make a compromise. Hopefully if something does go goofy and the SHTF my starter won't go at the same time. I have converted my GP system to manual control and I have also been looking into doing the same with the fuel valve on the IP. If it can be done then it cold be controlled like the fuel shutoff on the deuce. At that point the only way it would stop running is if it ran out of fuel.

Sephirothq

one nice thing about a deuce is you can park on a hill and start under compression. no electronics required at all. Yes they will run without a lift pump. ask westfolk about that one.

MARCO1031

I'm with you. I think most non electronic systems will work fine. There was a mythbusters episode a while back where they exposed a car to an EMP generated by a research device. The car was a late model that was running at the beginning of the test. When they set off the EMP the car died. When they tried to restart there was nothing. The power windows did work. So the battery was fine and I think the reason it didn't crank over is because on many newer cars won't engage the starter if the other systems like fuel injection are not ready. So I think our older trucks will be fine...honestly I hope to never find out.

stampy

Or just build a big faraday cage for a garage. Enough well grounded sheet metal or mesh and you can protect anything( as long as there are no openings.

stampy

I think I would worry more about light bullet resistance and run flat tires for a bug out vehicle as civil strife is more likely than a nuclear airburst. Even a blackout that lasted for more than a week could be a major problem in some areas

acesneights1

Not where I live. Freakin power goes out around here if a bird sits on the wire and scumbag CL&P takes their sweet time fixin it.

MARCO1031

stampy - those are some of the mods I hope to make on my truck. You are right that the likelyhood of civil unrest is probably greater but it is good to consider many options. I have a propane powered genset on my truck that can power most of my house if needed as well as a portable for other needs. You do have to look at these things from lots of angles and prepare where you can.

Last edited:

wkbrdngsnw

I'm not an expert, but an Electromagnetic Pulse is, well, a magnetic pulse. The problem it would cause to electronics would be from a large current surge from the voltage induced by the change in the magnetic field. The damage would be most pronounced in devices that are designed for low amounts of power . It would be similar to when the glow plugs get too much voltage and burn out. Its the amperage, not the voltage that causes electronics to burn up, but they are linearly related through resistance and Power=Voltage*I(amperage).

As far as devices that are turned off, it would be my assumption that any simple circuit such as a starter circuit would be fine since for current to flow there has to be a complete circuit. That is assuming that the voltage induced would not jump the air gap in the relays and ignition switch. That also goes for the solenoid that controls the fuel as well. The primary wiring harness would have a problem since it has a constant power loads such as a radio that are always connected. They are small gauge so they would burn before any real damage takes place as long as it doesn't start a fire.

A more complex circuit such as a radio might have problems since there are parts of the circuit that are connected as a loop and just isolated from power at the power supply by a switch or relay and the current would have a path to flow and surely would burn up.

nhdiesel

Another vehicle to consider could possibly be an '89 to '98.5 Dodge with a Cummins and standard transmission. Early automatics had no electronics as well. No electronics for the engine to run except the starter and grid heater, and thats not necessary except in very cold weather, and even you can live without it. I'm no Dodge fan, I just like the Cummins, and they happen to come in a Dodge.

Upside to the Dodges: More power than a CUCV, better highway speed, slightly better fuel mileage (I've seen as high as 25mpg with my '96, 30mpg with my Durango with swapped in 4bt)

Downside: Not needed to run the truck, but there are other electrical systems that can be damaged, leaving you without a working speedometer and other things. Also more complex to work on and maintain, since they are "modern" vehicles.

Just throwing out other options. The CUCVs are great for simplicity though, and also very cheap parts replacement (except for the 24v part).

Jim

niferous

You know a lot of people think that old iron trucks like we have are natural Faraday boxes. Since they have their own ground and all the electronics are basically in a steel box (the body) and then wrapped in rubber (an isolator) we should in theory be ok.

Like I said check out the book I posted a link to above. It's just an adobe document that you can read at your leisure. I haven't had anyone I showed it to dislike it and it really get's your mid thinking about what you will need to do to make sure that you can get by in a situation where the infrastructure of our country falls on it's behind.

Remember it took the feds 5 days to get water to the Superdome.....:-x That was ONE TOWN dealing with a disaster that they knew was coming!

saddamsnightmare

October 25th, 2009.

Some of the older, gas engined military vehicles were designed to survive an Electronic Pulse from a nuke. My Swiss S404.114 Cargo Unimog used shielded spark plug wires and it stell has a special unit on the firewall to abosorb the pulse without the truck shutting down..... The deuce I have is so relatively straight forward that it should take just about anything short of a direct hit.:-D

Besides, I figure you guys aren't gonna have any luck when the next one hits, as if its nuclear it'll be dirty and if its not it'll be nasty like a biological agent. Just ask yourself how many people are in the country now legally and illegally that might do us harm, then add in the Tim McVeighs of the world..... Could be a problem.....So where do you start?:-D

Cheers,
Kyle F. McGrogan

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks