• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So tell me about the M246 wrecker/tractor

area52

While taking the kids to soccer practice the other day, I say what looked to be like a military truck\wrecker sitting in a field. Asked around a little and got the guys name who owned the property and trucks. So I called him up and asked him about it and he gave me the "ran when parked' story but said I could go look at it if I wanted to.

Short story - its a M246 wrecker/tractor. I only looked at it for a short tiime as daylight was fading but here is the rundown:
No cab cover, no front winch, no hook on the boom, glass busted out on crane cab, front seat in bad shape and I believe it has the gas (Continental) engine, I couldn't get the hood open but the side panels were gone and it didn't look like a diesel/multifuel engine.

Tires are good and overall not very rusty for sitting out in the weather like it has been.

If I could get it running what its worth?
What sort of parts availability is there for these trucks?

Anyone have any other info on them?

I am going back to get pictures today after work and will post them up tonight

thanks

Wade

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Post your pictures! Parts shouldn't be a problem to find. It predates the M819 that 73m819 has. Primary use was for downed aircraft recovery. It has a longer boom than the M62, M543A2, M816 and M936. The gassers are thirsty but torque monsters. They make my little deuce wrecker look like a hot wheel. As far as a boom hook, usually doesn't have one. They have a double pulley on the boom and use a block at the bottom. The cable reeves over one top pulley, through the block, around the other top pulley and then pins to the block. Makes a 3 part line for heavier lifts. Love to see it, great find. Assuming it will run I would probably stay around or under $1500 but it's probably worth more.

area52

Kenny, thanks for the info.

I thought gas engines didn't have alot of torque compared to the multifuel/diesels?
when I Googled for the M246 one hit showed a 602 gas engine so maybe thats what this has.

How far out would it boom? I was thinking about starting a crane service with this truck if its a runner.

Its got a fifth wheel plate on the back also so that would be good for a trailer to put recovered vehicles/stuff on.

Edit:

Google showed two different pictures, one with the air filter canister on the left and one on the right side? Is this because of two different engines?

red devils dude

area52 said:
Google showed two different pictures, one with the air filter canister on the left and one on the right side? Is this because of two different engines?
that would be my guess I'm looking right now.

aha thay came in M246, M246A1 and M246A2 so you can get gas
diesel and multifuel.

m.walker

I've got two 5 ton gassers and they make tons of torque I've pulled other trucks and it takes off like nothing is hooked in back . The nice thing is the gassers don't seemed to be valued as high as the diesel so you might get lucky and pick it up cheap ! The 602 continental motor was also used commercially so parts are easier to find than you'd think . My M55 has a rebuilt 602 out of a road grader and when the guy put it in he put all the 12 volt stuff , this truck starts easily on one regular size car battery ! When I bought my M52 at auction the batteries were dead but it jumped right off with 2 of those cheap little handheld battery powered jump box's ! Right now the way it looks gas may be cheaper than diesel for quite a while . I'll run my gassers till they die and whichever way is cheaper I'll repower them later ( gas or diesel ). I think the biggest selling point the diesel has going for it right now is the biodiesel which is a big deal cuase these 5 ton are thirsty . I'm curious what are you other 5 tonners getting MPG wise ?

Junkyard Wars Crusher

12B20
Steel Soldiers Supporter
To add some insight regarding the air filter housing:
(assuming it is original, and not hacked up somehow :( ), then:

1. If it is like the picture Bjorn has shown above, (with air filter housing on the right fender) it is a -A1 (Mack Diesel) or a -A2 (Multifuel)

2. If the air filter housing is on the left fender, then it is NOT an M246. It is likely a M819 as Kenny mentioned. (Cummins 250).

3. If there is no external air filter on either fender it is the 602 Gas jobber. (Oil bath filter on right side of firewall under hood)

Get some PICS!!!!

area52

Its #3, the 602 gasser. Went and took pictures but my computer is giving me fits trying to download them here so I will try tomorrow. The old mans son came up when I was taking pictures and told me a little more about it. The rear axle brakes are frozen so it doesn't roll but he said he would give me a hand getting them free if I bought it. I got the hood open and the engine looks very complete just been sitting along time. Tires hold air but a worn quite a bit. Its missing the box behind the battery box and the exhaust comes behind the battery box and exits out above the front rear axle, but its all there.

what sort of carburator does this thing have? Where could I get the drums/shoes for a 5 ton rockwell axle?

thanks guys for all the information

Wade

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The R6602 Continental uses a Holley or Zenith combination side/downdraft 550 CFM two barrel carb. Brakes are easy to find, the 5-tons have used the same axle insides since the first up to the 800-series. They last a long time, too.

My M543 (M40 chassis originally) had the 602 in it when I bought it, and it never got better than a mile per gallon ever. Ran good, and a 190 miles drive burned 4 each 55 gallon drums of gas. Repowering with a Mack ENDT-673 made more power and 5 times the mileage.

dg

m.walker

I feel for you G744 , it must have been the weight because when I bobtail I get 5 to 6 MPG , and pulling the M750 I get 3 MPG . I know someone with an M62 gasser and they said terrible mileage and only 37 MPH . Pulling the trailer I can still hit 55 MPH . So the diesels only got 5 MPG ? I wouldn't gain anything by switching then . Any other 5 tonners ? I think I'll put the question in a seperate post .

area52

G744 said:
. Repowering with a Mack ENDT-673 made more power and 5 times the mileage.

dg
So does the Mack ENDT bolt up the the 5 speed tranny without any adapters?

1 MPG does not sound like something I want to sink money into.

What trucks have the Mack engine or where could I find one?

Still figuring out how much this truck would cost to get it up and running

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The transmission is a standard SAE#2 housing so any of them will fit. Big trucks are thought out differently, all like-numbered SAE designs are the same no matter who makes it. The gasser uses a straight box the Mack uses an OD box. They look identical, so reading the model plate is necessaryto determine which is which. BTW, that big Spicer is the largest 5-speed synchromesh transmission made for road use.

Don't sell the R6602 short, it is a marvelous powerplant. Chrome cylinders, sodium filed valves,
stellite seats, 7 main bearings, full flow oil filter system, forged pistons.
It was only rivaled by the LeRoi and Mack gassers of the '50s for top spot in semitractor over the road hauling. It was at the time one of the best engines available in the world. Think about just how many miles you would actually put on it, since most of them spend more time idling and lifting than driving.

The 5th wheel is useful, and most never unwind the massive deck winch of the M62/M543.

Buy it.....
dg

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If we were to pay those kind of prices for what you listed, not many of us would ever get anything for our MV's!
Tires can be had for $50-100/ea and brake work should not have to include new drums, they are nearly indestructable. :)

Could not get to your pictures, password etc needed....

vtdeucedriver

I dont know who told you about the 37 MPH with the M62 but they must have a bunch of flat tires. I have a M62 with the the R6602. Great motor. True on the 2 MPG though. But I too wanted a multi and was considering trading "up" to a M543. But other guys with the 62 told me that I was nuts. Cause the M62 had more torque and a faster top end than the multi. For what you want to do, I would think the Continental is the way to go.

Your link is bad, takes you into the sign in part

area52

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think there is a place in AZ that has surplus tires, might be worth a drive. Brake system is very rebuildable. That is the M246 and it is the R6602 engine. It does have the Austin Western crane too. That would be a neat truck to have for sure. Just for fun, take one to a tractor pull. At 32,000# not much will stop it on hard pack.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks