• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Crazy about the new M-ATV

AWheelsOhio

I been reading the past few months all about this new M-ATV from oshkosh.

I must have watched every youtube video out there.

Has anyone ever seen one of these up close??

If so....

Its has some of the craziest wheels i have ever seen. Does it have a CTIS system? What type of wheels are they?

Anyone have some pictures they have taken?

Thanks
any help will be much appreciated.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I get DHS briefings every day and from what the report said yesterday:

"Door latches a problem on M-ATVs, soldiers say. Since getting the new vehicles in January, at least one external door latch has failed on all of 2nd Battalion, 12th Infantry Regiment’s M-ATVs. “When we get out of the vehicle to shoot a rocket or something, we have to make sure the door stays open,” a Staff Sergeant said. If it closes, he said, the only way to get the door open is to have someone crawl through the vehicle and use the inside handle. On his truck, it is the driver’s side door, but other trucks have different flaws. Other members of the platoon were quick to confirm busted latches were a critical problem with the new trucks. The Pentagon has shipped more than 1,000 of the new Mine Resistant Ambush Protected All-Terrain Vehicles to Afghanistan. Oshkosh Corporation won a $1 billion contract last summer to produce up to 10,000 of the new M-ATVs for off-road use in Afghanistan. MRAP Joint Program Office officials said they were aware of a problem with door latches on M-ATVs, but “not to the extent described” by 2-12 soldiers, a Marine Corps Systems Command spokeswoman said March 5. “Sticking doors have been identified as an intermittent discrepancy for a few months,” she said. The JPO’s Quality Team’s Corrective Action Board has been analyzing door latches for about a month, she said. Program officials in Afghanistan have received door adjustment instructions to correct the problem. Overall, the 2-12 soldiers are happy with the M-ATV. They like its smaller turning radius, as compared with the MRAPs, allowing them to make a U-turn to help other vehicles in an ambush, they said. The trucks do not get stuck and have protected the occupants from small-arms fire, soldiers said."

At least they like them other than that...........

sw

EO2NMCB

I've hauled some of them. P/U brand new ones from the factory, loaded on the step deck and away we went. Heck if you want one just show up, sign the B/L and its all yours for free. Said to the wife, I'd just tell the claims dept, it fell off and I lost it. Till I told her that on the B/L stated it was 474,000.00 for one:mrgreen:

EO2NMCB

They were michelin tires, don't recall the tire size, they did look to have some type of ctis sys. The MATV's are loud, sounds like straight pipes on them.

AWheelsOhio

wow thanks for all the pictures!!

They are amazing!

What kind of wheel do they have on them and is it ctis?

Thanks for all the help

AWheelsOhio

I have seen oshkosh's site many times and have the brochers. I just want more actual information. First hand type info not photoshoped pictures. But thanks!

1stDeuce

You guys are gonna love this... I stopped at Oshkosh on my way to pick up a new truck in MN. Been 10 years since I was there... The place has changed a bit for sure, but you can still get a good look at the trucks from outside the fences... Took some pics... Here you go!!

BTW, they most definitely have CTIS. I see the valve on the front wheel in two pics.

You get a freebee pic of the DARPA truck too. I like the three axle steer... :)
C

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks