• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Crazy about the new M-ATV

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would like to see those in Woodland Camo!
Doubt that any have been made in woodland camo, since they are designed for wartime use in the Middle East. Last I checked there are barely any trees over there where the action is, and unless war is declared in Europe, Korea, or within the borders of the United States, I doubt you'll see any green on these rigs at all.

slash79

we have three of them at my shop now, they dont seem to be too bad, but the serpentine belt went out on one of them, we werent allowed to work on it and the civilian contractors came out and fixed it. pretty cool trucks, they drive good, and sound even better with the straight piped C7 in them.

if any of yall have any questions about these or any other vehicles, feel free to ask.

AJMBLAZER

I work with military trucks (mainly Army now). The only things showing up now with any trace of green are the HEMMT's and PLS family trucks and that's only on the inside. Everything else is all tan, insides included.

This one wasn't "mine" but it was sitting near some of my trucks so I snapped a few (admittedly bad) cell cam pics.
They are BAD ASS in person.

Oh, and the tires are a beadlock with CTIS.

Attachments

sandcobra164

I just returned from attending MRAP University at Red River Army Depot. The M-ATV is by far the best driving MRAP on the market today. It had no problem at all on the 60% grade ramp and would easily pull to 70 MPH on the test track on the straights, 55 MPH in the curves. Great product that Oshkosh is making for the guys.

mjw4669

I'm currently deployed to Afghanistan with an Engineer unit and we have a hand full of MRAPS. We have RG-31's, MaxPro's and M-ATV's. The "guys" prefer the M-ATV over the others by far. They have a lot more power and versatility then the competition. The seats are nice for the first few hours.. but on long convoys you start to cramp up, but thats with almost all of our equipment.

The amount of technology in these things is out of this world. They sound and look amazing... and can take one **** of a blast.

The only issue i have found with them is the ECM. Every once in a while the truck just won't start and have a message on the dash that says something like " engine ECM communication failure" All you have to do to correct the fault is disconnect the batteries, unplug the harness from the ECM then reassemble. All in all it takes about 15 minutes. not bad. but when you're in a war time situation 15 minutes could be the difference of people living or dying.

and does it have an ipod hookup like they said on youtube.
this isnt really a M-ATV option. Some soldiers figured out how to rig ipod's into the como and have it play over the head sets. It plays loud enough for you to hear the music, but quiet enough that people talking over the net are loud and clear

>SSG Williams<

Chief_919

I'm currently deployed to Afghanistan with an Engineer unit and we have a hand full of MRAPS. We have RG-31's, MaxPro's and M-ATV's. The "guys" prefer the M-ATV over the others by far. They have a lot more power and versatility then the competition. The seats are nice for the first few hours.. but on long convoys you start to cramp up, but thats with almost all of our equipment.

The amount of technology in these things is out of this world. They sound and look amazing... and can take one **** of a blast.

The only issue i have found with them is the ECM. Every once in a while the truck just won't start and have a message on the dash that says something like " engine ECM communication failure" All you have to do to correct the fault is disconnect the batteries, unplug the harness from the ECM then reassemble. All in all it takes about 15 minutes. not bad. but when you're in a war time situation 15 minutes could be the difference of people living or dying.

this isnt really a M-ATV option. Some soldiers figured out how to rig ipod's into the como and have it play over the head sets. It plays loud enough for you to hear the music, but quiet enough that people talking over the net are loud and clear

>SSG Williams<
I had similar issues with the ECM's on Buffalos- I am not going to say too much in an open forum, but I would bet that the problems are coming from interferance to some of the "other" equipment you have installed, especially if you are doing a route clearance mission.

IM me if you want any details on how we handled it.

mcmullag

I saw one of these up close on display at a community thing in August, came from Ft. Carson, soldiers let kids climb in it and even get into the seat for the roofmounted gun. Vehicle was huge for just 4 guys to run around in, or maybe 5 with the guy in the roof. I would not be surprised if the wheels and tires are the same ones on the 7 ton MTVR Oshkosh truck. Thing was loaded with computers and electronic equipment. Very impressive machine.
Tan coloring: Driving thru Ft. Carson to get to GL, if you get a little lost :wink: you pass fenced parking lots full of tan vehicles; tanks, bradleys, HET's, V250's, HMVV's, FMTV's. You rarely see a woodland camo vehicle, only I have seen are large trucks and very few. Seems maybe 2% at most of the inventory there is woodland.

mktopside

Banned
I had similar issues with the ECM's on Buffalos- I am not going to say too much in an open forum, but I would bet that the problems are coming from interferance to some of the "other" equipment you have installed, especially if you are doing a route clearance mission.

IM me if you want any details on how we handled it.
If I had to guess it's due to a CAN system commo error, if it's set up that way. I have a few customers who work at places with a lot of "RF energy", and they are always the ones that come in with the strange communication error codes over and over again. If the CAN system uses Shielded Twisted Pair and nothing else........ well, someone dun goofed.

......Pure speculation on my part.

mjw4669

I've contacted one of the Oshkosh reps in BAF and he told me if you dont wait XX amount of seconds between turning off the ignition switch and the battery switch it can cause the ECM communication problem. Getting that concept into operators heads it next to impossible especially when this only happens once in a blue moon. Most guys will say " naw its OK i do it like this all the time and it always starts for me" until one day it doesn't and they NEED their truck ASAP.

jeremysmith71

yeah I have taken the MATV maintance and operator course and the truck does nice offroad but to work on it is a nightmare and yes u have to wait 15 sec. after u turn on the main power before u crank it up. The doors stick and also when in drivers training we went threw a few radiators because they have plastic tanks on them an can't take the stress of offroad driving. There also has been a ton of little maintance issues ie ctis, transfer, AC, and more.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks