• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Phase converter or gererator?

Drewzer

Can anyone tell me how big of a phase converter or generator I would need for a plasma cutter with this description?

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]"Thermal Dynamics, Model PAK10XR, thermal arc, plasma cutting system. SN: Y81513A183501C. Primary V. 200/220, PH 3, Amps 74/68, 60 HZ, Secondary rated current 100 amps at 110 volts. Open circuit voltage 260 volts, 80 percent duty cycle. Electrical diag. 42D700C. Input pressures: Plasma gas 40 PSIG, secondary gas 75 PSIG.[/FONT]"

O.D. Fever

mep002a they load test at 120amp 240 v 3phase.. that is short duty and will pull 110 amp all day long. not bad for a way underated 5kw. P,S. I have the test data and it its an eye popper.

uscgmatt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your confusing the MEP-002a with another generator. The 002a is good for 17ish amps at 208 3ph. That info sounds a little high.

Keith_J

Yeah, only a MEP-005A would drive that. Horrible power factor with those old plasma machines which is why the output is only a shade above 10 kW while it loads the generator at 25+kW.

FORGET phase conversion. Snag a 005A. Unless you have a commercial power connection, it will be cheapest.

bmH1065

I have installed many phase converters and have even had to use a transformer to go from 240 to 480 volt. You have to use one that is big enough and run the right size wire but will work the same as having 3 phase from power company. If you need help, the guy that helped me engineer out the last one is Jim at 262-268-7014.

bmH1065

I have built a couple of phase convertors using a 3 phase motor and a pony motor. To work well, you need to use a 3 phase motor that is twice as big as what you are running. A 10 hp for a 5 hp load.

ODdave

I have installed many phase converters and have even had to use a transformer to go from 240 to 480 volt. You have to use one that is big enough and run the right size wire but will work the same as having 3 phase from power company. If you need help, the guy that helped me engineer out the last one is Jim at 262-268-7014.
Have you ever monitored the "3rd" leg on a phase converter durring load/no load switching? Guess what those spikes do to the circutry & transformers in the machine? I use phase convertors on motors only. To each there own though.

Drewzer

Thanks

Thank you all for the advice. Just for mobility and ease, I think the generator will be the ticket for me.

Not cutting a ship in half, but that is what I got from GL. Have to see how the army damaged the plasma cutter before I commit to a generator, here is to hoping for just a few components.

steelandcanvas

So if someone has used a phase convertor to power another unit with a motor and electronics, would it be in someone's best interest to make sure the electronics were not attached to the synthetic leg?

ODdave

So if someone has used a phase convertor to power another unit with a motor and electronics, would it be in someone's best interest to make sure the electronics were not attached to the synthetic leg?
YES, Keep in mind, this can be quite a feat. I have a INDEX radial drill with lots of magnetic switches that will throw one he!! of a fit if they are trigered off the 3rd leg.