• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Installing a Grover Emergency Stuttertone Air Horn on an m923

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, this is 5-Ton Mods and Hot Rodding, and that's exactly what I am going to do here.

Anyone else think the air horns on the deuce and 5-Ton are just a little high pitched for... well, just about every time you need to honk it? You know what I am talking about. You're piloting your sweet MV ride out to the main drag from your house and there they are on the sidewalk. Two impressionable young MV fans, and they signal that they want to hear the horns. "toot toot". Yes, it is just embarrassing. For the truck anyway.

So what to do? Well, Grover has the answer. They have been making air horns for a long time that you really know you have heard.

So here is what I am up to. For one thing, chrome on an MV is anathema. [that means I don't like it and it just doesn't belong] First thing then is to scuff up that shiny chrome, primer and paint it flat black.

Attachments

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well where on the truck should that horn go? I really liked Young Gun's idea of mounting it sideways on the transfer case crossmember pointing out to the port side where one could warn overtaken bicyclists of the hazards involved with being so close to a large truck. But I opted for the Stealth Mount. I know that I am never going to need the blackout light, and realized that it is a perfect location for an air horn. Especially a Big One. Look just above the Port headlight. :cool:

Yes, every truck needs a really big horn, right there.

Attachments

Last edited:

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now for the boring details. The diaphragm end of the horn will stuff right through the hole in the front of the truck left by the removal of the black out light. I installed a 1/8" x 1 1/2" brass pipe nipple in the horn inlet before poking it through the truck grill. You will need Soldier B to help with that while you balance up there and try to connect the mounting bracket you made.

So you can make your own mounting bracket. I used 1/4" x 2" flat bar because that is what I had, and it worked fine. Not pictured here is the second bracket I made to support the horn out towards the bell. I bought this horn surplus and it didn't have the nice forky looking chrome bracket to support the front end that usually comes with it, so I had to make that. Photos of that bracket tomorrow.

Attachments

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
BTW, I can build a lot better looking bracket than that, and I hope someone comes up with a lot better looking setup than what I did. This is what I came up with on a Sunday afternoon with the tools I had, and I wanted it done right now so I can get to honking that horn. A lot. Originally I wasn't going to show the brackets, as they are pretty crude, but thought it might help someone else who also just wanted to get a horn hung in there. What I did was really very easy. Harbor Freight cutting torch, Dewalt drill, and a step bit. That's it.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
" Look just above the Starboard headlight."

Hate to be picky - but I think the Port side is the left... but I'm not a nauticle person so I'll stand corrected. As remembered by the neumonic phrase "Pass the Port to the left".....

.... however, great job on "hiding" the mod and keeping the truck still looking military.

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
" Look just above the Starboard headlight."

Hate to be picky - but I think the Port side is the left... but I'm not a nauticle person so I'll stand corrected. As remembered by the neumonic phrase "Pass the Port to the left".....

.... however, great job on "hiding" the mod and keeping the truck still looking military.
You're correct. I know the difference but was real tired when I wrote this up. Will edit, thanks.

Nice but what? No video with sound.
That's coming. Have one more bracket to fab and some plumbing to do.

Might want to look into one of the "bell caps" to keep moisture out of the diaphram.
That's a great idea. I was wondering about that. We don't have that many flying bugs where I live but I can certainly see how that could be an issue.

135gmc

Bug bodies? You know the old joke: "why don't you ever see many bugs on an Army truck windshiels? Because they have plenty of time to get out of the way.' New iron is a lot faster than an old CCK, but it still is a long way from a grain truck flying across North Dakota....

Tlauden

Are you keeping your original air horns connected or are the new air horns replacing your stock ones?

I am a fan of loud air horns and plan on doing something similar with my deuce and a set of train horns. BUT at the same time I've had MANY compliments (so to say) about the famous high pitch deuce horn. Hearing that horn brings back alot of memories (and just as many stories) from the Vets. :)

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm keeping the original air horns for now. Will see how much room there is after I stuff the turbo in there. Still have some plumbing to do before I can test it.

Gruemeyer

Great Job..
I plan to snatch the 170 db Train Horns I recently put on our box truck and put on the M923 that is waiting for Recovery.

They are great when a Yahoo decides to pull out or wander into your lane.

joeM62

A great sounding horn is always good I can't count how many times I've had someone pull out in front of me while I was driving my old duce scray thought when they do that. Good job on the horns Beerslayer. I'm thinking about replacing my old horns with some old school big rig horns small enough to go back where the orginals ones went.

Derrickl112

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I installed my emergency horn yesterday. It sounds sooooo much better than the stock air horns. Its loud, but not nearly as obnoxious as train horns.

m816

Tried to blow my horn to tell a friend that I was in his driveway this morning, -----nothing happened. Looks like it may just be the right time to make that mod on my M54. I would like to keep the original horns just for when I don't want to scare the cr-- out of any one though. I think a switch to toggle between the two would be great.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks