• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101 fuel tank option

911regular

When I was picking up my trailer I noticed another M101 had a built in fuel tank with the filler neck protruding from the side of the trailer. I wanted to know if this was an "option" or variation on M101's or was it a custom job? Any input would be appreciated,,

blybrook

I don't remember reading about this "option" while I was going through the TM for my M101A2. Since these trailers are commonly known as "trailer salad", it's hard to know exactly what was done. I'd have to check the TM again to see if there was something there about a built in fuel tank, but I don't recall it off hand. I'm sure someone with more intimate knowledge of these trailers will chime in at some point.

It could be a generator trailer (M116) that has been modified for a M101 style box and fueling capacity. That is just a guess though, I don't know the real reason to have a separate fuel tank on a trailer unless there was something mounted in the bed that could draw from said tank.

Oh, and welcome to the OD Disease, it always starts small...

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It was a field mod done at the unit level for units that got issued cargo trailers for carrying gensets instead of the correct flatbed genset trailer.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't have any of my manuals here but the was a PU based on the M101. Actually more than one. There was one with an MEP-017 and another with 2 MEP-016 gensets. The tank was neary, if not completely identical to the M37 tank.

Nick

This is my M101. The first pic shows where the fuel filler neck came out. I didn't take any pics before I took it out and filled the hole. The others are of the tank itself. I heard its pretty close to the M37 tank, but Ive need seen an M37 tank, so I dunno. Anyway I still have the tank, trying to decide what I wanna do with it.

Nick

Attachments

Ripcord01

I had a trailer that had the tank on it. It still sits in the shed..it is a m37 tank. The trailer was used for toting around a few generators. The tattle tale is the amount of holes in the bed of the trailer.

neverfinished

Hi all. I finally got some pics of the tank out of my M101a1. It is virtually identical to my M37 tank except it is plastic instead of steel. I was told that this trailer had 2 generators mounted in it. Also, the sending unit on the M37 tank is in a different spot. In the 3rd pic, you can see a ring at 12:00 above the large pickup hole-that is where the sender goes on the M37,not at 3:00 as on this tank. I'd like to use this tank on my M37 but I'm not sure about it's compatability with ethanol. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks.
Ted

Attachments

Jeepadict

Breathing new life into an old thread. I'm interested in adding a tank to my 101A3. This thread was a great start, thanks!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks