• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Okay I got the Crown Nut off now what does it take to get the Lunette out? (photos)

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A miracle.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's stuck. Put the crown nut on backwards, but not all the way, just enough to seat the nut, but not so any threads from the shaft are showing. Tap with sledgehammer on the nut, a couple whacks and it should pop off. If not, shove a long breaker bar in the pintle hole and using leverage, turn the pintle and it will loosen. If not then, get a torch and heat the area, maybe the hardened grease and rust will break up from that.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And if that don't work, hook it to your truck and take it for a little off-road journey around your yard, maybe towing it and getting from side-to-side motion on the pintle will help.

If you get back in the driveway and the trailer is no longer behind you - it worked!

hwcurtice

I can't tell, but what model trailer? Does it have a parking brake?

Maybe just hooking it up to the truck and giving it a little gas would set it free?

Are you removing it for repair or replacement? Maybe flipping? I ask because I'm not sure if you're trying to protect the threads or not.

And the Lunette isn't threaded all the way through, it just slides in, right?

azjimbob

Got the biggest pry bar I could find about 8' long 2x2 steel bar

It still wont budge, even with my 200# hanging off the end:(

Haven't tried heast yet because I'm in Phoenix AZ area and the though its only
9am the trailer is hot as is the pry bar.

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't care if it's 3pm in Saudi Arabia, when I meant HEAT I meant get a blowtorch, and heat up the pintle shaft area smoking, burn the paint off, hot enough to cook on it. Sitting in the sun in Phoenix is not hot enough to break free solidified goop and rust. High heat from a torch will liquify even the nastiest grease, and "pop" rust off between frozen nuts and bolts (or shafts and sockets in this case).

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Place a length of chain through the lunette. Take the other end and tie it to an anvil, or some other very heavy piece of steel or concrete. My anvil is 106 Lb. I find it best to place a prybar or piece of pipe across the anvil and have two people move the anvil as fast as they can, one person on each end of the bar. Make sure the force of the anvil is in a direct line to the pintle. Leave about 4 - 5 feet of slack in the chain. Use chain, not cable, because cable will whip and chain will simply fall to the ground when the pintle comes out. However, the pintle itself can go flying, so I recommend tieing the pintle off with a piece of rope to keep it from flying. I have never had this not work after one or two swings of the anvil.

I have also use a long pry bar to turn the pintle as already mentioned. When I couldn't turn the pintle with my weight, I used the forks on my JD 5520 to press down on the end of the pry bar.

Last edited:

3dAngus

Take the biggest sledge hammer you have, and hit the lunette ring outward as hard as you can from both sides several times on each side. You should be waking up the neighbors on that one if you do it right. Putting in a little rust remover or PB Blaster and letting it sit on the inside of the threads for about 30 minutes before hitting it with your BFH could help.

Done it that way many times. Never tried a pry bar.

azjimbob

taking a break from it now.

I tried heat (used a map gas torch) beat on while hot jumped on it with pry bar
next I think I'll hook it to the 3500 dodge and pull it around for while

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actually, let me amend my suggestion to tow around the yard. Do this:

Put the crown nut on but loosely, THEN tow around the yard. That way, when the lunette finally comes loose, you don't drop the trailer.

If towing around doesn't work - check for welds. :)

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got the biggest pry bar I could find about 8' long 2x2 steel bar
It still wont budge, even with my 200# hanging off the end:(
If still not working - try having the heavier of you or your "friend" hang off of the pry bar, then the other person hits the lunette with a big sledge.

Nest step... pry bar + friend, hitting AND heat!

Good luck

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks