• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M105 Cattle Trailer??

doskiez

I am in need of some cows for my land and I am planning to go to an auction soon. The only problem with this is I dont yet own a stock trailer. I do, however, own a M105 with sides and bows.
While trying to solve the stock trailer issue, borrow, rent, buy a cheap run down one and hope it makes it. I happen to think, hmmm, if I put the sides and bows on my M105 it looks a lot like a stock trailer, although considerably higher off the ground.
I am wondering if it would be possible to transport 2 300-400 pound cows for an hour or so in the M105 or if I am nuts for even considering it.
That being said I would make sure the auction had a loading ramp tall enough to get them in, and I know I have a place where I can unload them at the house. Do any of you think this would be possible? And better yet have any of you tried it?
Thanks

axlr8

ummmm.....what is the tow vehicle? and is there any slope youll be traversing? Im thinking that keeping them in the trailer might be a problem.... and itd be a wee bit topheavy if they are standing. Don't you have any friends with a trailer you could borrow????

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you do end up doing this, please take tons of pics. Cuz I got friends who won't beleive it unless they see it.

doskiez

I have a 1 ton Dually that I tow the 105 with. I have hauled many thousands of pounds of stuff in the trailer with no issues, although none of my cargo to date has been alive. I would not be going over any major slopes, just backroads at modest speed. I am thinking with the slat sides and tarp bows on, plus a goat wire panel (welded steel mesh fencing) attached to the top of the bows it would have enough of an enclosure effect to keep them in without making them nervous by being confined. I am calling friends and neighbors to see if I can find a stock trailer to borrow (my first choice) but I am wondering if the M105 could be a backup in case I dont find anything.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
A big issue is how loco they are......getting them in is easy loading from a chute.....once they are in the trailer they may go ballistic and try to get out of the trailer or hurt each other in a panic.

Our two head (one bull and one cow) are pretty sedate until you try to get them to do something.....then they go nuts.:cookoo:

You are going to have to pull away from the chute to close the tailgate and they may decide to escape at that point.

Are you buying full grown cows or calves......calves would be easy in the M105.....big cows not so much.

If you are going to an auction you can prob find someone that will haul them to your place for a reasonable fee.

Have you tried to buy them out of the pasture and have them delivered? Might cost a few more bucks but it eliminates some of the issues.

Just my two cents for what they're worth.2cents

doskiez

Cattle/horse:beer:s slip and slide on metal floors, need to put wood down if using a 105.
I hadnt thought of that yet. That is a good point, I may have to get them a piece of plywood that I can secure to the floor for them to stand on. Yes they would be calves and I havent really found any individual cows/ calves for sale around here normally it is 5 or 10 plus head going all at once. My plan was to put the rear slat side on before I moved the trailer from the loading dock so they would have a barrier at eye level then close the tailgate after pulling away a foot or so. If I cant find a stock trailer to borrow or rent I will let you know how it goes. Providing they have a tall enough loading shoot.

3dAngus

No, this is an entirely bad idea, unfortunately.
COWS do not travel well, They get motion sickness.
Riding in a M105 is not only dangerous, but would give them a horribly bad ride even on the smoothest of roads. It is inapppropriate.
Get a two axle trailer, with sun protection overhead, and preferably with torsion bar axles.
Sides have to be all the way up above their head on that one, and obstructed view with plywood on sides to prevent panic. If they can see, they will bolt on an unstable one axle trailer like that with the body shift. Either way, they might not eat for a day after a one hour drive, due to their ride and discomfort along the way. Be sure to water them before the departure. Its not like hauling horses, which ride much better.

I do not recommend it, but good luck, whatever you decide.

Also, based on weight, and assuming you are talking beef cattle, they have probably recently been weaned (4-5 months now?) and are not ready for travel. They would normally need some post weaning conditioning on cattle feed, after coming off Mom's milk. If not possible, be sure to check with the seller and make sure they have all their shots for travel, as a minimum. This ride, whatever the actual age and weaning date, is going to be very traumatic for such a young calf regardless of carrier vehicle.

Last edited:

wdbtchr

Having hauled a cow and some pigs in a '50 Chevy 1/2 ton pickup I have to say I see a new smile in out future. Something like:gimp2: only with cows in it. It would be good to note that cows lean when you go around corners which is an interesting feeling in a pickup.

For what it worth, I think I would try a horse trailer if nothing else was avalable. But what do I know I've never tried a horse trailer.:roll:

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can do it. 300/400 pounds is nothing more then a calf. The Sale Yard will have several chutes of various hieghts. Use some scraps of plywood to close in the open area at the chute. Scatter some old hay and sand on the floor, so they will have traction. Be prepared to leave, as soon as you load - the motion will discourage any notion of escape, and just go. They will ride good. For many years, all I had was a 211 with side boards on it. These "Town Farmers" today, think they need the "right" everything, for every chore. You have what you need now, to get the chore done - Go For It! If that 105 wasn't made for hauling livestock, they wouldn't have put sideboards on it!

Barrman

Call down to the Elgin Vet or the vet over in Lexington. They will know who might be willing to sell just a few calves and can drop them off at your place.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If they are just calves, fold up the back seat and put them in the rear of your truck.. I assume it's a crew cab? Maybe scotch guard the carpet first.

SCcowgirl80

Call down to the Elgin Vet or the vet over in Lexington. They will know who might be willing to sell just a few calves and can drop them off at your place.

No offense, but this may not end well. Cattle under the best of circumstances are nervous critters and spook too easily. Some breeds more so than others. Seeing as you are from Texas, I'd say that horse/cattle appropriate stock trailers are in abundance. Here are my 2cents on the subject:

* Call local vets, cutting horse trainers, and cattle ranchers to see if any of them could loan you their rig or know of someone who would loan you their trailer. Be sure to bleach out the trailer before hand to kill of anything you don't want your calves to get. Their immune systems tend to crash for a few days after the stress of traveling!

* Call trailer sales lots. I've had to rent a trailer before and most places I've seen are reasonably priced. (Make sure to wash the trailer thoroughly and bleach it before returning).

* If you don't have any other option than to use your M105, instead of wood on the floor, I'd buy a one inch thick rubbermat (you can get these at Tractor Supply) and cut it to fit the floor). This will give them more cushioning and better traction for the ride!!

Hope this helps and good luck.

Flyingvan911

I think it's a bad idea. The 105 is not designed for cattle. Cattle trailers are built how they are for a reason. I can see the cattle slipping of falling and breaking legs. It would be worth the extra effort to find the right trailer.

Ridgerunner

Pull the rubber bed mat out of your Dually, and throw it on the smooth steel floor of the M105 for grip/traction. It'll cover most of the floor. 300 pound calfs arn't very big, your trailer will work fine once their inside, and the tailgate and backrack are shut. If for some reason it just didn't work out on the haul home, nothing wrong with eating veal.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks