• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

trailer lights converter

How many would buy a converter 24v to 12v

• here for one to go on truck

Votes: 10 50.0%
  • here for one to go on trailer

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • here for hardwired

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • here for plug in

Votes: 10 50.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

m816

Voltage conversions are such a personal thing. Everyone that needs one finds a way to cob something togethere and hope it works and those who have been successful in the enterprize seem to think they have hit up the holy grail. Amd most of the MV collectors who I have had the pleasure of meeting are also some of the cheapest individuals on the face of the earth. I wonder how many 200 dollar converters that would fly off the shelf?

Csm Davis

Voltage conversions are such a personal thing. Everyone that needs one finds a way to cob something togethere and hope it works and those who have been successful in the enterprize seem to think they have hit up the holy grail. Amd most of the MV collectors who I have had the pleasure of meeting are also some of the cheapest individuals on the face of the earth. I wonder how many 200 dollar converters that would fly off the shelf?
Yes we tend to go cheap or else the converters that are already out there would be common place but I think I can build one for under $200 that can plug and play and that is why I think a fair amount would sell. I may be wrong which is why I an doing this poll, if the interest isn't there I won't make them. Also I welcome any thoughts good or bad on this so please feel free to say what you think about this idea.

Last edited:

Derrickl112

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would buy two of them. Plug and play would be preferred so I don't have to splice into any wires on the truck...

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Ok, I have one of the military 24-12 converters (seen here: start at post #12 http://www.steelsoldiers.com/electrical/87101-replacement-plastic-knob-source.html). It works really well-it is a self contained unit that is truly a "plug and play" deal. I can move it from deuce to deuce and from trailer to trailer. I like it.

Of course, it doesn't have a trailer brake setup (for electric brakes). I don't think the military 10 pin connector has a circuit for electric brake output.

So how in the world would you do this and maintain the "plug and play" aspect?

Seems like it would have to have some kind of backwards compatibility so you could plug in a brake controller.

Csm Davis

Don't mind mark and the $200 is the high. Clinto not all of the ten pins are used for 90% or more of us I think the chance of someone needing all ten and trailer brakes would be slim. And yes the trailer brake wire would be a pass through not converted because the controller would be 12v hardwired to the truck.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Im a bit confused. So this box would convert the tow vehicles 24V to 12V for the trailer, for the just lighting system on the trailer? Or am I missing something?

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I still have several of those lighting converters. I stopped selling them because I was getting several people angry because they said they wouldn't work for them, yet when I got them back (usually butchered so they could put whatever plug on the end) it would work fine for me...

Handy as ****.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
If I could find a source for the military connector I could build something MUCH cheaper than $200. Actually the electronics/box would only be $50 tops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks