• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

trailer lights converter

How many would buy a converter 24v to 12v

• here for one to go on truck

Votes: 10 50.0%
  • here for one to go on trailer

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • here for hardwired

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • here for plug in

Votes: 10 50.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Csm Davis

And how are you going to do this on five or six different circuits at one time and run a flashing circuit, if you are going to argue a point understand the subject first.

Csm Davis

I still have several of those lighting converters. I stopped selling them because I was getting several people angry because they said they wouldn't work for them, yet when I got them back (usually butchered so they could put whatever plug on the end) it would work fine for me...

Handy as ****.
were you building them yourself or having them made or buying premade and how much for one I don't want to get into something that's already available for this price range

And how are you going to do this on five or six different circuits at one time and run a flashing circuit, if you are going to argue a point understand the subject first.
I wasn't arguing my point. You asked a rather curt question so I gave you a curt answer. You could buy several smaller, even cheaper, converters and make it work but I not going to engineer it for you. If you know so much, then why are you asking for help in a public forum? You shouldn't be rude to people who are only trying to help you.

Csm Davis

Okay brother I will not be curt if I was asking for help in fixing the issue I would have been a little less curt but it will cost $40.00 x 4 at the low side if those will work and they will require hardwiring in. If you will read my first post I wanted to know if people would want to buy a box to plug into, I do know what is needed to make the lights work properly and I also know how to make it user friendly,and or grunt proof. I thank you for your idea, and didn't mean to be curt my name is Jeff and I am sorry if I was short. :driver:

nickd

I installed LED lights on my M116 and M1102 trailers . The serge brakes on these trailers eliminate the need for electric brakes when I tow them with my pick up truck. I have a military trailer receptacle mounted on a plate attached to the pintle, the wire from the military receptacle has a 4 prong civillian connector I plug into the truck.

My civillian deck over trailer has LED lights and a 12 volt electric brake system. In order to pull that trailer with my M998 I will need to use an adapter to convert the round civillian trailer plug to the military receptacle on the M998. In order to use the trailer electric brakes at 12 volts I will need to install a 12 volt brake controller on the M998 powered through a relay rated at 24 volts wired to the trailer connected to the brake pedal. The out put of the relay would be connected on the 12 volt battery and wired to the trailer on one of the unused pins of the military receptacle on the M998.

Sorry for the long post including all of the background information.

If your converter would do this with out running additional wiring, I would be interested

Okay brother I will not be curt if I was asking for help in fixing the issue I would have been a little less curt but it will cost $40.00 x 4 at the low side if those will work and they will require hardwiring in. If you will read my first post I wanted to know if people would want to buy a box to plug into, I do know what is needed to make the lights work properly and I also know how to make it user friendly,and or grunt proof. I thank you for your idea, and didn't mean to be curt my name is Jeff and I am sorry if I was short. :driver:
No Worries.

You can get Pyle 24 to 12 volt, 120 watt converters on ebay for $17 each right now. There may be other brands that are cheaper but since I have used their stuff before I know it works.

Also, you cold change out your incandescent lights to LED's for about $7 each. The LED's that I have on my truck have a operating voltage range of 10 to 30 volts so they should work on either 12 or 24 volt systems.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
You guys are really over complicating this. I've got the board (Costs about $25) that uses input signals up to 30vdc to trigger relays. Then a simple resistor to step the voltage down with a heavy enough rating (like I used in my two speed heater switch). Only thing I need is a source for the military connector (trailer side). I've got a spare one laying around I guess I could fling a prototype out of. A box to install it in would be ~$10 too. The resistor was $5 IIRC.

You guys are really over complicating this. I've got the board (Costs about $25) that uses input signals up to 30vdc to trigger relays. Then a simple resistor to step the voltage down with a heavy enough rating (like I used in my two speed heater switch). Only thing I need is a source for the military connector (trailer side). I've got a spare one laying around I guess I could fling a prototype out of. A box to install it in would be ~$10 too. The resistor was $5 IIRC.
I don't know... Switching to LED's may still be cheaper and easier. Plus, they should last virtually forever.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
were you building them yourself or having them made or buying premade and how much for one I don't want to get into something that's already available for this price range
I bought them, they were military issue. Found a bunch forgotten in a warehouse at an electrical supply company, bought them all. I only have the 2 I use left.

It was built with resisters to drop the voltage. The reostate was to drop the constant hot voltage (I assume for ABS brakes on the trailer or interior lighting)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlI3T4EM_RA[/media]

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I don't know... Switching to LED's may still be cheaper and easier. Plus, they should last virtually forever.

And what about people who borrow/rent trailers? Should we ask our friends to let us convert their trailers?

The whole point of the mobile converter box is flexibility-flexibility to grab the converter and enable hooking up any US/NATO mil MV to any civvy trailer.

:grin:

3dAngus

Seems to me, with the voltage converters, connectors, wiring, manufacture cost, etc. near $200 is not all that bad. No one works for free.

What I don't understand is, does this thing convert the 24vdc military wiring to 12vdc 4 flatpin trailering connector?

goldneagle

No Worries.

You can get Pyle 24 to 12 volt, 120 watt converters on ebay for $17 each right now. There may be other brands that are cheaper but since I have used their stuff before I know it works.

Also, you cold change out your incandescent lights to LED's for about $7 each. The LED's that I have on my truck have a operating voltage range of 10 to 30 volts so they should work on either 12 or 24 volt systems.
Can you give a source or Model number for the bulbs?

Cleptomaniac

Not to spoil anyone's fun but MIKEW on here already makes such a contraption.
Less than 200 and works great!! I have one on my Deuce. All plug and play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks