• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Todays junk yard find willys jeep

ranchhopper

I found this in my friends junk yard today sheetmetal is pretty much scrap but it has an intact drive line he said I could have it for 500 bucks there is no paperwork. I put this up hoping the jeep experts would help me out as to what year it was manufactured if there is some money to be made by parting it out I would buy it and at least take the driveline out of it the frame looks to be intact but the trans,axles and engine would bring more than scrap I would think.

Attachments

Last edited:

wdbtchr

I'm no expert on jeeps but I would guess it's a mid-50s civilian model judgeing from the headlights and windshield. Don't holler at me if I'm wrong.

Capt Pat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is a 2a, those were first civilian ones built with mostly military left over WWII parts, just got rid of one. Its worth saving. There are also at least two and maybe three outfits out there that will sell you a new body for it, complete. One even has the stuff to make it look like a WWII jeep, there is such a shortage of the war built jeeps that alot of folks are buying the 2a's and putting the war jeep bodies on them. The full kit comes with all you need, they even sell now frames, but that one should be OK. Good Luck, its worth having and more so worth re-doing. Its money in, but you'll get it back if you sell it later.

ranchhopper

Im just going to buy it to salvage it they dont make a lot of those parts anymore everythings siezed up if I had the time and funds to put a fiberglass body on it maybe I would consider it my neighbor has a fiberglass body and hood brand new he wants to sell off because he is moving to florida.

dependable

Looks like a CJ 3a to me. Mostly the same as a 2a, but the 2a had a split windshield. The 3a was made between 1950 and partly into 1953. It looks more intact and original than most you see.

Danger Ranger

Save it please. I don't care if you sell it complete to someone else, just make sure it gets restored. That one is definitely complete enough to be considered a shame to part out. Don't tear it apart.

tigger

Medic.
In Memorial
Its a cj2a. Mine is a 46 and was in a lot worse shape than that one! Look at it now. Its worth saving. It has a M38 windshild in it. Its a early cj2a because of the front marker lights, the later ones had bug eye front marker lights. Save it!

Attachments

kelley

Ranch hopper,

The real ugly one's are the most rewarding to restore, Go for it or put it in the hands of someone that will. How would you like to be parted out after 60 or 70 years?

Kelley

ranchhopper

Im going to buy it and put it in the classifieds for anyone interested in restoring it that way the jeep guys get first crack at it and we will see where it goes from there.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks