• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923a2 Air Dryer rebuild

NJDEUCE

Can someone please point me in the right direction to rebuild my air dryer on my M923a2? I have searched and found a couple threads that kind of help me but still don't leave me confident. I can use the training manual to do the rebuilding, I just need the right parts. The military painted over my air dryer so I can't get a number off of it. Someone linked to this kit ( http://www.amazon.com/Haldex-Midland-DQ6026-General-Service/dp/B00480MQTG ) in another thread...is this the correct one? My air dryers purge valve keeps sticking open, and I don't see a replacement in the kit, but I do want the cartridges as well. Thanks for the help guys!

Stein12501

I had the same thing happen to me. The purge valve would stick and drop my air pressure to nothing. Not positive on the A2 but that is the kit for the A1. I bought mine on Ryder and I think it was a little cheaper. They also carry a complete new drier for about double what the kit costs. You would need to order both kits the upper which is what I saw on the add and the lower that contains the purge valve. I pulled my unit completely out threw it on the bench and pulled it apart. Not to bad.

Attachments

NJDEUCE

Thanks, I did notice there was an upper and lower kit after I posted. The filter shown on the kit I linked and the one Ryder carries is the same one I have on my truck. I guess I'll just order it and give it a shot, seeing as I don't see any other rebuild kits.

chadande

I just installed the DQ6026 kit on my A2 last week, took about a half hour. The cup on the bottom of mine was stuck on pretty good. There is a good vid on youtube that goes over the install (not my vid) and the included instructions are good. Search "M923 air dryer" on youtube.

Stein12501

Njdeuce I looked on Ryder and the 2 kits you would need is DQ6026 upper and DQ6020 lower. I had to follow the instruction to the letter. To get to the purge valve you have to have the desiccant and coalescing filter out to get to the screw to split the shuttle valve.

NJDEUCE

Thanks for the replies. I did order both of the kits from Ryder. I removed my air dryer after work today, and started taking it apart in my shop. Man that thing was nasty inside, I'm really glad I decided to dismount the entire unit and clean it up. There are a bunch of tubercles and other junk inside. I'm not surprised my dryer got jammed up. I'll be sure to post some pictures when I receive my kit to help others in the future.

NJDEUCE

Sorry about the delay guys. I didn't get as many pictures as I should have, but hopefully these will give you an idea of the process.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just got into rebuilding mine. NJDEUCE did you get the lower rebuild kit. I don't see it in your pic rebuild. I think for the age of these units I would allways do both top and bottom kits. Like Stein12501 said you have to do the shuttle with the two filters out from the topside. The youtube he did not do the lower just changed the filters. So to take off the whole unit rebuild both upper and lower would too me be the best thing. Might just save you from having to take the unit apart again when the lower starts to give out. My.02

NJDEUCE

Yep, I did the upper and lower. I just didn't get as many pictures as I should have, I get too into the projects to stop and take them. After the rebuild, the dryer works great. I would always rebuild the whole thing, it's definitely worth it.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Momma says wash your hands before you eat and loosen the spin on a little before you remove the base unit from the frame.

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Is there any trick to get the purge valve out once you remove the C-clip? Mine comes out about a 1/4 inch then stops. I don't want to tear anything up, so I figured I'd check with you guys.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have not done mine yet but I thought there was talk of the screw that had to be reached through the top after you unscrew and remove the two top filters. Yours did not come with instructions?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I didn't buy the bottom kit. My upper was in great shape but while its in the basement, I figured I'd check it out. I'll pull off the top filters and look!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks