• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923a2 Air Dryer rebuild

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you remember the cost of the 2 kits upper and lower?
I'm pricing them out for same cost as upgraded to the pur-est model.

Do you remember the cost of the 2 kits upper and lower?
I'm pricing them out for same cost as upgraded to the pur-est model.
I rebuilt mine last year and worked well since. I shopped around and both kits came to 177.68 (after shipping). I then had my old dryer strip out while rebuilding and needed a new core...

I would go the new upgraded dryer if I could go back in time...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah I just picked up a new pur-est one for 122 shipped. Can't go wrong with that I figure.

SUPERSPORT

Member ZiggyO has them on here. Atleast he did. You may also check with member gimpyrobb that is in cincy.

Or member Suprman can be contacted at Will @ pawnking.com
I knew Suprman used to sell them but he doesn't have any.

I'll hit up the other 2 you mentioned. Thanks.

TexAndy

Good writeup silverstate55...

But I'm stuck trying to pull the turbo-saver valve. I cannot get a 1/4 hex to grab anything on the screw. It won't go into anything. I've tried all the fractional and metric sizes up and down from there. Nothing works.

At this point, I'm considering drastic measures, like trying to just drill the screw out completely. It will ruin the valve and the valve disc, but it looks like the kit contains replacements for those, anyways.

TexAndy

Hm. Any thoughts? Here's how the screw head on the valve disc end of the turbo-saver valve looks. Pretty corroded.20170910_115931 (copy).jpg

Is there any reason I shouldn't try to drill it and use an easy out on a very long extension? Is there some other method that might be better?

Hard Head

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I replaced my Haldex with a Meritor Wabco System 1200 plus Saver Air Dryers that came off a MRAP and my 923A2 builds air faster. I am thinking about adding another in parallel since I am adding 2 more air tanks to the truck. I have a classified add for them if anyone is interested. I also have new Haldex dryers that came in complete ABS kits for the 900 series trucks. They cost twice as much as the ones taken off MRAPS. You can buy the whole dryer for less than repairing the old ones.

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?171561-Meritor-Wabco-System-Saver-1200-Plus-Air-Dryers

TexAndy

I replaced my Haldex with a Meritor Wabco System 1200 plus Saver Air Dryers that came off a MRAP and my 923A2 builds air faster. I am thinking about adding another in parallel since I am adding 2 more air tanks to the truck. I have a classified add for them if anyone is interested. I also have new Haldex dryers that came in complete ABS kits for the 900 series trucks. They cost twice as much as the ones taken off MRAPS. You can buy the whole dryer for less than repairing the old ones.

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?171561-Meritor-Wabco-System-Saver-1200-Plus-Air-Dryers
Wish I'd known before I bought the kits. I'll keep those in mind as a last resort, though, thanks. Going to try to ez-out the screw on the turbo saver valve.

TexAndy

Finally got the turbo-saver valve out. Took it over to a machine shop buddy and between the two of us, I was able to hold the corroded screw in place with a couple of standard screwdrivers while he unscrewed the valve body on the other end.

20170911_175656 (copy).jpg

So far, only other trouble I've run into is the bottom drain valve. On mine, it was a 5/16" square drive. Didn't have any 5/16 key stock lying around, but I did have a piece of 1/2" tool steel round. So I turned that down a little, then ground a 5/16 square on it on my bench grinder.
20170909_171336 (copy).jpg20170909_173453 (copy).jpg

I'll take the plug with me to the hardware store and see if they've got something a little more common I can replace it with.

Ecscnvb

New Purest air vs used meritor wabco what would you get?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
This is a typical non serviced air dryer. This is actually from a Purest Unit that were selling not too long ago. Now those dryers are $200 or more and the filter kits are $90 or more on ebay. This person didn't understand why he couldn't build air pressure on a 10 degree day. Pretty sure the tanks had not been drained in awhile.

The Wabco units like Hardhead was selling are $75 new on ebay at the moment and filters are $30 or so. They are starting to show up surplus alot. You would need to swap your heater element over to the dryer if it is only a 12v unit.

The advantage of the wabco I see is that they have a coalescing filter that will catch moisture, oil, and other contaminants versus just moisture. Explained in the brochure.

Fuzzytoaster has them on his ebay store as well.
Wabco is a R955205 for the unit or # 013465

http://www.meritorwabco.com/MeritorWABCO_document/SP-1497.pdf

Attachments

Last edited:

CARMAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is a typical non serviced air dryer. This is actually from a Purest Unit that were selling not too long ago. Now those dryers are $200 or more and the filter kits are $90 or more on ebay. This person didn't understand why he couldn't build air pressure on a 10 degree day. Pretty sure the tanks had not been drained in awhile.

The Wabco units like Hardhead was selling are $75 new on ebay at the moment and filters are $30 or so. They are starting to show up surplus alot. You would need to swap your heater element over to the dryer if it is only a 12v unit.

The advantage of the wabco I see is that they have a coalescing filter that will catch moisture, oil, and other contaminants versus just moisture. Explained in the brochure.

Fuzzytoaster has them on his ebay store as well.
Wabco is a R955205 for the unit or # 013465

http://www.meritorwabco.com/MeritorWABCO_document/SP-1497.pdf
TMI. Great info. Was going to do a rebuild but looks like it is not worth the time? Could not find Fuzzy online. Will pm him. So Simp...you would recommend a swap to the Wabco over the rebuild? The replacements look dinky.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
That is my plan. The wabco seems to be the next in line the military went to after the purest dryers. I run mine alot so I am going to switch over as far as cost goes. $65 for a dryer and $30 for a filter. vs $200 for a replacement dryer or $100 for a replacement filter. I look at that aspect of it. Mine won't have issues from old age and just sitting like alot of the pure air and purest dryers do from the orings and valves getting no use.

Meritor/Wabco is just as good as bendix and haldex in my opinion. They are all made to the same quality as each other. But then again the quality of stuff in this country has gone to crap in the last 10years on everything.

His ebay name is fuzzy_toaster.

CARMAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is my plan. The wabco seems to be the next in line the military went to after the purest dryers. I run mine alot so I am going to switch over as far as cost goes. $65 for a dryer and $30 for a filter. vs $200 for a replacement dryer or $100 for a replacement filter. I look at that aspect of it. Mine won't have issues from old age and just sitting like alot of the pure air and purest dryers do from the orings and valves getting no use.

Meritor/Wabco is just as good as bendix and haldex in my opinion. They are all made to the same quality as each other. But then again the quality of stuff in this country has gone to crap in the last 10years on everything.

His ebay name is fuzzy_toaster.
Thanks...not an ebayer but sent him a pm. I assume its a direct swap.?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks