• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LT. Dan M35a2 Modification Thread

Oh I'm sure we will. I don't know if I'll make the spring rally.... I'll probably have my truck tore apart. But I'm taking off Friday for the Aberdeen show.

So I got to work on the truck in the shop tonight and still can't figure the horn out. There is one circuit breaker on the firewall and I jumped that and still no horn.... I forgot my test light so I'll have to dig into more Saturday. Also went to mess with the ether cold start cause I thought the bottle was empty but it's full. The solenoid must not be working.... Idk I think I'm just going to take it off and use the port for my boost gauge.

Is it normal I have to start the truck from dead cold with a shot of ether? It won't start in the morning. It's been about 10° here and even this evening after work its was about 20°. It will smoke out the stack but not fire. If I shoot about a seconds worth of ether in the mushroom intake it will fire right up and run rough for about 2 minutes then smooths out.

skinnyR1

How new are your batteries?

Mine isn't too eager to start when it is 20 degrees. I have to crank for a bit in intervals for it to fire. Since I only have dual 650 batteries, that equates to about 30 seconds of cranking below freezing until not enough power to do so.

In summary, sounds normal. I have the intake manifold heater but it just seems to dump fuel on the turbo so I don't use it.

Foot to the floor and crank for 5 second intervals. Wait 15 seconds no cranking. Repeat.

Works for me.

Yes and necessary since I want to turn the fuel up.

So today I made my alternator bracket as per 59apache thread. Turned out really good.... I have all my cables so I just have to get a battery and the alternator.

20140211_173312.jpg20140211_173325.jpg

Also going to pick up a hardtop and new windshields this weekend.

Thank you and yes I saw that paint at Walmart but the one condition on buying the truck was it couldn't be camo, that's what the old lady said lol..... the truck will get painted a dark Grey in the spring and most parts will get painted flat black.

ATPTac

Nice bracket.

Just so you know, at walmart they have Krylon spraypaint that is a close match(looks almost perfect) for small parts like that bracket.

Here's a link with a pic and partnumber. http://www.rchuntingstore.com/servlet/the-8184/KRYLON-FUSION-ULTRA-dsh-FLAT-CAMO/Detail
That's good to know. I was wondering if that would be a close match or not.

Lt. Dan, where did you order your gauges? I'm in the process of looking for some, haven't decided what type to get yet.

This weekend was kind of a wash for me. Had off Friday for my wedding anniversary and spent the whole day with my wife. Then Saturday we got more snow plus I went up to Gibbs house and shot the breeze for a few hours and picked up some parts from him. got a led light switch Jerry can and some other little goodies. So today I had a party to go to but when I got home I rebuilt both air wiper motors and got the civy wipers mocked up. Waiting for silicone to dry on the gaskets before I reinstall. Also got some goodies friday. My gauges showed up and some other little things. Next weekend I'm getting the truck inspected in the morning and then going to pick up a hard top and a full windshield with new glass on driver and passenger sides since mine is cracked and rotted. Got spare wiper motors too..... All for a Unbelievable deal. Then Sunday is my daughter's birthday and we are taking here to cake boss in jersey as a surprise. So first real weekend I'm going to get to start the truck is march 1st..... Idk if I'm going to have the Bob done in time for the first truck pull and mud bog of the year in april.......

Dipstick

Hello LTD. I own a bobbed Deuce and I live in Phillipsburg N.J. My Multi has always been easy to start and in the cold months I add an anti-gel product from NAPA to the tank. There was one night recently when the outside air temperature was about 6 degrees. My Multi didn't want to start. I gave him a light shot of ether and he fired right up. I haven't had a problem starting him since. In spite of the additive, I think my fuel must have gotten a bit gummy due to the bitter cold.

I do use diesel kleen i think it's called. I get smoke out of the pipe but it won't fire. Battery's are great i can crank for 10 minutes and not one sign of dying down. I just reach out the passenger door and give it a wiff of ether and she fires right up. I don't mind doing that and i don't think it's bad at all. I grew up on a farm and we had tractors that were twice as old as the deuce and they always needed ether to start. Not one problem ever.

So today i built my rear perches/lift blocks. I used 1.5"x2.5"x1/4" steel tubing and stacked them up then welded 1/2" plate on the ends to hold it all together. It's a total of 4.5" of lift.

I don't see anything wrong with this at all. I was at the local spring shop and he showed me the 4" lift blocks he had and they were cast iron and hollow.....

Attachments

So i guess I'm going to be rewiring the horn..... i have no power to any wires in the horn circuit. Idk why. The solenoid works if i jump power to it. But nothing at the horn or at the circuit breaker.

Also can anyone tell me what this is? I'm going to be replacing the return line hoses soon and I thought maybe this was for the old flame heater and can be removed. But I wanted to find out before I take them off.

Attachments

skinnyR1

Its the manifold flame heater. It sucks, I personally don't use mine. It just dumps fuel on the top of the turbo.

I replaced the pump portion too as that was leaking. I might delete mine all together.

skinnyR1

Yes it won't hurt anything to eliminate it. I had mine plugged for a while when the pump leaked.

Some people swear by them, but I find it to be problem prone. For mine, im not sure if the flame works. Subsequently, fuel dumps out of the valve above the turbo, down into the turbo housing.

Further, from reading here, many people claim that when the valve fails, it leaks past and fills the crankcase with fuel. Also not good.

I wish mine worked. My truck starts with the finesse start wait procedure, no flame heater when cold.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks