• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starting issues M35-A2

duecesarewild

I will start off by apologizing for my awful username, didn't do well with hooked on phonics. Our drop truck, (the one we rig up to drop out of our MC-130E Talon aircraft) hasn't run for 2 years. The lift pump was bad and when it did run it kept blowing out the secondary fuel filter "o"rings. I replaced the lift pump and entire secondary fuel filter assembly. The IP shutoff was completely gummed up and I had to work it free with Brake Clean. I can get it to start and Idle but have to hold down the pedal down to get it to start. Once it is running seems to run pretty good, has power and idles down. If I shut it off it is difficult to start and sometimes have to use ether to get it to run. The truck used to start at a touch of the button. I attempted to bleed the fuel system at the injectors and got fuel and an RPM drop at cylinders but nothing from #2 and #4. It seems to run fine with no miss at idle or WOT and shuts off with the cut off. I removed the IP cut off cover and made sure the lever was moving freely and snapping back to the 7 position. Looking for ideas? I have owned 7 Deuces but sold them all of except for three and all of them have been great in the fuel department. I am located in the panhandle of Florida so heat and crappy fuel are problems. Since this truck is considered an "equipment item" (not supposed to be operable) and not a vehicle, I can't get any support from our Air Force motor pool and most of the kids now only work on LMTV's or MRAP's. Sorry this is so long and thank you for taking the time to read this,

MSgt Rob Hoeft

919 Special Operations Squadron

Duke Field Florida

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have seen where some of the line output from the hydraulic head go bad. A quick(no not very quick) down and dirty test would be to pull the injector lines from the IP and turn the truck over while watching the output holes. Yes fuel will run everywhere, but if you have 2 dead outputs, you will know right away.

It might be time to install a new hydraulic head.

duecesarewild

I have seen where some of the line output from the hydraulic head go bad. A quick(no not very quick) down and dirty test would be to pull the injector lines from the IP and turn the truck over while watching the output holes. Yes fuel will run everywhere, but if you have 2 dead outputs, you will know right away.

It might be time to install a new hydraulic head.
Thank you for your reply. Wouldn't 2 dead outputs cause a audible miss and would that cause it start hard? Right now it sounds like you are slowly introducing fuel into the engine as it sounds like the opposite slowly pulling the IP fuel kill lever and letting the engine die, if that makes any sense at all. I follow you on the test mentioned, makes sense. I dumped some diesel clean in it and will drive it around for a while.

Jeepsinker

Pull those injector lines and blow through them to check for obstructions. Also look in the inlet of the injector and see if there are any obstructions there (rust, gunk). Worth a look anyway.

duecesarewild

The plan was to marry to pallets together fold the windshield down, remove the top and stack and drop it with plenty of chutes and cardboard shock absorbent material. We unfortunately retired our 130's prior to this but still have the truck. We now want to use/play with it for manual transmission training.

Thank you all for the input, is there a way to accurately check/test the HH?

Jeepsinker

That's crazy. I had heard that the 130 was supposed to serve until almost 2060. Maybe it was 2025. Either way I didn't think they were retiring them yet. To test individual hh outputs you just have to remove the lines and spin the motor over to see which ones spray fuel and which ones don't.

rustystud

I would also check the fuel pressure out of the primary fuel filter, and make sure the one way check valve is working and not stuck open. The one way valve is suppose to open at 60psi to prevent damage. If your secondary filter was blowing the "O-ring" out that might be one of the problems your having . Also if the valve is stuck open now, it would be hard to build pressure in the Hydraulic Head. No fuel, no pressure .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks