• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Installed NOS Lollipop Lights

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not a new thing for most, but I'm sure some have not seen, or would like to see, the "lollipop" lights on a deuce. These mount to the same two bolts that the front blinker lights mount to, but face reward instead. Due to some recent trips on crowded highways, and traffic moving much faster than I; I really felt that I would benefit having these, especially for the very reasonable cost (thanks machinist75!). Before, only the brake lights of the deuce would signal to drivers behind me of my low speed on hills, turning direction, and/or lane change intentions.

The "lollipop" lights I received came with 2 pre-wired NOS lights (package of one said 4/90) and the metal hoop mounting/protection bracket.

First, I cut the end off the light because the male end was too fat to fit through the mounting hole on the metal hoop guard, and there would have been no way to pull the nut and lock washer off. Also, I wanted a female Packard connector end on it anyway. As a note, I only added more wire and the female connector after I put the light on the mounting bracket. In the bottom of the picture can be seen the 'Y' splitter I made to run the light off the blinker circuit, in parallel with the existing front blinker.
2014-10-17 18.24.46.jpg

A closer view of the short splitter.
2014-10-17 18.25.03.jpg

The splitter made this a completely unobtrusive installation that didn't change any factory wiring and can be removed just as easily. Well, the old CARC that came off the mounting bolts is another story. :lol:
2014-10-17 19.49.43.jpg

Closeups of it mounted.
2014-10-17 19.49.51.jpg2014-10-17 19.50.03.jpg

The wire routing path. I did have to add about 9" of more wire to the light, here you can sort of see the heat shrink covering the butt connection (visible near the upper right). Since this is exposed, I technically need some wire sealant to put over the heat shrink seams to be 100% water sealed. Though, it's not bad as is. What I typically do with the heat shrink is put a larger one over the butt connector, and then a smaller one on either side to seal the ends.
2014-10-17 19.50.15.jpg

There was some old woven cloth wrap over this part of the front wire harness leading to the side blinker light that was pretty dry rotted. Good thing the wire bundle was wrapped with electrical tape underneath.
2014-10-17 20.02.29.jpg

I covered it with some of this plastic woven mesh that is the modern equivalent, and just used a zip-tie at either end. (I didn't remove the old, brittle woven cloth cover, just put the plastic mesh over top).
2014-10-18 10.15.46.jpg2014-10-18 12.06.23.jpg2014-10-18 12.06.08.jpg

Last edited:

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And here is a full front view of both lights, and a short, poor video of them in action. What, you don't take videos of lights blinking? Yeah, Christmas is a crazy time for people like me. rofl

2014-10-18 14.01.59.jpg

Attachments

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Forgot to add this one.

This attachment shows you what a bad ground looks like. There is no visible "lollipop" directional light blink, and a very dim front blinker. Also notice the blackout lights blinking too.

So no, the batteries aren't about dead, and the lollipop light DOES work, just a bad ground when testing the lights in a serial configuration.

Attachments

Last edited:

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you Valence for this! Have mine from Saturn sitting here and will be installing later today.

Thanks,
Frank
You bet, I hope you like yours! What I have noticed so far is how I need to stop myself from unconsciously trying to use them (and the front blinker light shroud too for that matter) as a support/steady for myself when climbing my short step ladder to access the engine compartment. :p