• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1952 M35 Gasser repair and build

Kaiser67M715

So picked up my M35 Today,first pic is still at guys house, second pic is following tow truck home, third is truck parked in new home
M35 still at old place.jpgM35 on way home.jpgM35 in new home.jpg

well, I know the radiator is good, nice hiss of air when I opened it. so that should be fine, just need to fill with Coolant. Any recommendations? didn't see anything specified in the TM's, unless I just missed it.

second, gas tank is JUNK, inch of rust on the bottom, plus the way the paint is peeling under the tank, definitely a hole or two, there is actually more rust in the tank then the rest of the truck. Are these tanks the same as multi-fuel tanks?, or close enough to? or will I just have to make a new one?

third, wire harness is burnt to crisp. so need to put in a new one(included in purchase of truck).

fouth, brakes need to be gone through have no pedal, I am just hoping one of the rubber/metal lines went. Are the brakes the same as multi-fuels as well? I am assuming the only real differences is engine, wiring harness and probably fuel tank.

spare parts included with sale, wire harness(correct for GAS motor), extra drive shafts, axle shafts, budd nuts, and lug nuts, three 9.00R20 tire and wheel combos, new hub and drum. NOS master, and 2 NOS wheel cylinders, a bunch of TM's(specific to gas motor) and some other odds and ends

best part is it cost less then $1,600 for everything including tow:grin:

WILDBOY6X6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A very good deal there, I just happen to have a M34 that came from NH :driver:I just paied for a M35 here today too.
I would say you got with it most needed items , wire harness is not easy to get for gas one chassis parts are same as rest.
I know there will be folks here in SS that can help with parts for you too, can find some on line too.

AZDeuce

You can use a M35A2 wiring harness, that way you can have turn signals and emergency flashers, you will have to extend the starter wires as the starter is on the opposite side on a Multi-Fuel, and you will have to repurpose a "hot wire" for the coil. I done it 20 years ago so it is easy to do, if I could figure it out so can you. Good luck she looks like a nice truck.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can use a M35A2 wiring harness, that way you can have turn signals and emergency flashers, you will have to extend the starter wires as the starter is on the opposite side on a Multi-Fuel, and you will have to repurpose a "hot wire" for the coil. I done it 20 years ago so it is easy to do, if I could figure it out so can you. Good luck she looks like a nice truck.
Not the starter, it's the generator that is on the driver's side.
The A2-harness would work. But then you may have to change some of the connectors to the Douglas-style. Not a big deal, though.

Sorry, I just re-read post #1: he said he got a new gasser harness, included!

G.

Last edited:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
.....there is actually more rust in the tank then the rest of the truck. Are these tanks the same as multi-fuel tanks?, or close enough to? or will I just have to make a new one?
No problem, you can use a Multifuel tank. See the differences, here...
It just needs a custom-made cover, where the fuel pick-up & vent goes. Or use an old MF in-tank pump, disabled and modified to work just as a fuel pick-up.
Are the brakes the same as multi-fuels as well?
Yes.

G.

Kaiser67M715

Awesome, Thanks

Any input on coolant? still can't find a good reference in the manuals, but still searching

Kaiser67M715

what is the shift pattern for the early Gas deuces?, mine has a data plate that says (from middle) over and down is first, second is up, third is down, fourth is over and UP, fifth is over and DOWN, so little different from other deuces, can anyone confirm if this pattern is correct, or maybe wrong Data Plate? I'll try to get the Transmission model too, so we can confirm differences, just don't want to get her going and miss shift

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
what is the shift pattern for the early Gas deuces?, mine has a data plate that says (from middle) over and down is first, second is up, third is down, fourth is over and UP, fifth is over and DOWN, so little different from other deuces, can anyone confirm if this pattern is correct, or maybe wrong Data Plate? I'll try to get the Transmission model too, so we can confirm differences, just don't want to get her going and miss shift
Yup, is correct, the gas trucks have the 3052 Spicer, direct top hole. Your data plate is correct.

Kaiser67M715

OK, thanks. Had done some research saying transmission changed when going multi-fuel, specified ratio changes because of power-band rpms, but didn't find anything for the shift pattern

krisinwa

Also your truck may have a spraqe ( not sure if
spelling is correct ) , unit in it , it kicks in the
front drive axel when the rear drives start to spin
and lose traction .
So always use 1st gear after using reverse ,and
never let the truck roll backwards in any forward
gear with the clutch engaged . use reverse or go
to neutral .

Kaiser67M715

Thanks was aware of the Sprag transfer and the odd quirk with shifting, and rolling, I haven't crawled under it too much, but don't see any air shift knobs, so fairly certain it is still sprag transfer case.

I meant to get more pics, but got busy moving the M715 so I can rebuild the floors in the cab, and 15 degree weather is not nice. weather men keep saying 30's, but has only gotten that high once last week(the city is definitely warmer, but the open space around me sure does attract the wind)

jatonka

The trans is a 3052 Spicer if still original. shift pattern is as you described. 1st is all the way toward you and down, 2nd is just off spring load toward the right and up, 3rd is straight down, 4th is a bit to the right and up and 5th is straight down. Due to being a direct drive 1to 1 high gear ratio. JT out

Kaiser67M715

All right, have another question(s), or confirmation... anyways tried to search, found a couple part numbers in the TM's that seem to match up to the oil filters used on the Multi-Fuel engines. SO is the oil filter for the Gas motor the SAME as the Multi-Fuel oil filters? and if they are, do the cartridges come with the correct gasket for the top of the canister?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nope, you need a Fram C31 or equiv which comes with the gasket. Not the same as multifuel.

OD_Coyote

All right, have another question(s), or confirmation... anyways tried to search, found a couple part numbers in the TM's that seem to match up to the oil filters used on the Multi-Fuel engines. SO is the oil filter for the Gas motor the SAME as the Multi-Fuel oil filters? and if they are, do the cartridges come with the correct gasket for the top of the canister?
The OA331 gas motor uses a different filter. A Wix 51503 is what I use in my M47.
Congrats on the truck it looks good in the pics. Please post more pics when you have a chance.
Also, what size tires are you running in it?

Last edited:

Kaiser67M715

Some pics, was gonna work on the M715, but ended up starting on ripping out all the wiring

0301150929.jpg0301150930.jpg0302150930.jpg0302150931.jpg0302150932.jpg0302150932a.jpg0302150932b.jpg0302150932c.jpg0302150933.jpg

there all s****y cell phone pics, but, better then nothing

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks